Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax on NBC Nightly news

On tonight's news with Brian Williams, a photographer using a Pentax DSLR is shown snapping liberated-from-research chimps in Louisiana

06-26-2013, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although it got them exposure on national TV, which is good, the Pentax marketing team needs to do some work on their product placement.
06-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
On tonight's news with Brian Williams, a photographer using a Pentax DSLR is shown snapping liberated-from-research chimps in Louisiana
I noticed it too!!!
06-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Here's the clip. You can see the camera at about 0:40 (after the annoying 3-second ad).

06-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Free the chimps.....
06-26-2013, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like a K-7 and 55-300?

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.
06-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looks like a K-7 and 55-300?
It's a DA L and no lens hood...
06-26-2013, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
mee
Pentaxian

Does this really become a point of discussion on these forums? LOL how sad we have become.

06-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Well somewhere here there is a thread about Pentax sightings "in the wild". I guess this is a different interpretation of that phrase.

Any sighting is a rare and auspicious event! Even on national TV!
06-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does this really become a point of discussion on these forums? LOL how sad we have become.
Took the words right out of my mouth.......I mean fingers. Yet to see a person with one in 3 years
06-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Took the words right out of my mouth.......I mean fingers. Yet to see a person with one in 3 years
I've seen more people using Pentax than people using Leica.

But then, what's this thread about!?
06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What's this thread about?

I have never seen a Pentax camera on TV. Not advertised or in use by someone. Just wanted to share the experience.
06-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I think this is great! I actually joined the Pentax family 1.5 years ago, based purely on its specs, price etc and quickly realized that this is a very 'exclusive' club I live in Canada and have not seen anyone else with a Pentax on my daily travels (besides my good friend whom I recommended a K5 to), but I was pretty stoked when I was travelling last year, and actually came across someone else with a Pentax camera - twice! Once on a remote island in Thailand (some Malaysian tourist on the boat had a K5), and again at the foot of Mont St Michel in France - a Japanese tourist and his girlfriend. I saw his red on black camera strap, and he saw mine as we passed each other, and we exchanged the universal nod - "good taste in cameras!"

Keep the sightings coming!
06-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Consider Pentax the Old Lady. It was probably to be seen in the news and movies much more frequently some 50 years ago. A copy of Auto 110 is also to be found in the International Spy Museum; it was the perfect spy camera.
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I work by a very touristy area and can see cruise ships daily coming to and from the Port of Halifax here on the East Coast of Canada. On nice days I routinely go for a walk at lunch right through many hundreds of tourists.

Now, this clientele is mostly older (55+) with a sprinkling of Asian groups (Chinese, Korean, Japanese).

I actually see Pentax fairly often. Nowhere near the dominance of Canikon, but more often than Sony and about on par with Olympus.

I see a lot of bridge cameras around necks, but P&S are largely tucked away. DSLR's are infrequent and you usually see those by their straps, Canon red lettering (and Pentax) and Nikon yellow. I see very few mirrorless systems. There's a few here and there, but nowhere near the numbers I see with DSLR's.

I would bet I se a Pentax DSLR about 5-7% of the time. I've stopped and had a few chats with users. Their usual comment is that they had older Pentax gear so are brand loyalists, and others said the AA batteries! I've heard that a number of times. One guy went on about his water-sealed K-5. I had my K-x and my old M28/3.5 and he thought I was nuts and should get the 16-50. But we had a good talk.

Overall from this age group and about 4 years of observation I see a fairly accurate sampling of Pentax's worldwide market share.

One thing I do NOT see in this demographic are a lot of smartphone cameras. I am consistently surprised by the sheer number of bridge cameras I do see. It has me thinking that a great many people want a "real" camera when they have an important life event like a vacation, which itself for many of these people is a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Also, I went tot he beach last week and saw a number of tough cams and one was a Pentax WG. I also saw Oly's and Canon's and a Sony. I think this is a growing class of cameras and Pentax has a certain presence here.

Just my observations.