07-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like Google - Motorola / Adidas - Reebok

Stock Exchage
7752:Tokyo Stock Quote - Ricoh Co Ltd - Bloomberg

07-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #167
Pentaxian

While reading this thread I am eating a Quaker granola bar and Quaker is trademarked and has the old Quaker image on it. Bottom of the box it says Pepsi Co Canada as the importer. If you go to the grocery store and check out most of the long time well established brand names you will find that the name of the company may not have any relationship to the brand and itself might be another well know brand.

A good brand name is a valuable asset to the owning company. Why would Ricoh give up that value? But the name of the company is not of that much value to the consumer. I really do not know which company now owns Canada Dry or 7Up or Molsons or Volvo etc. Ownership changes, companies change their name but a brand will outlast those changes
07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And I'm soon going out for some Yum Brand food!

Yum! Brands - Defining Global Company that Feeds the World
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And I'm soon going out for some Yum Brand food!

Yum! Brands - Defining Global Company that Feeds the World
Which was spun-off from Pepsi some years ago.

07-03-2013, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #170

Brand value and success depends on how we (=the market, including potential new customers) trust the brand owner.

For example Sony had such a good reputation, for doing well whatever they bother to do, that they could afford to scrap the Minolta brand completely (even though "Minolta" was a reputable brand). Imagine, if Sony would have purchased Pentax instead of Minolta, and even if they had scrapped the Pentax brand name just the same way as they did with Minolta, we woudn't be unlucky. Then our system would have Sony's market share, good supply from Sigma/Tamron, etc.

However, Ricoh doesn't have this level of trust yet (how could they, being perceived as a copier machine maker). Furthermore, the Hoya era created mistrust, because Hoya was somewhat unlucky (their many unlucky decisions harmed Pentax' camera division's market value, market share, and company value, as evident from the sales price to Ricoh).

Now, it's up to Ricoh, to show off medium-term, whether they will be unlucky as Hoya or lucky as Sony was with Minolta. It can be anywhere in between. We don't know yet. Should they be utterly successfull (e.g. reaching Sony's DSLR market share), then they may rename the Pentax brand even to R2-D2 or C-3PO, if they are fancy - that's granted then (but hopefully they don't do that)

Last edited by Frater; 07-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
07-03-2013, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #171
mee
Veteran Member

On second thought.. please carry on with the panic and make good with the 'threats' to sell off all your Pentax equipment -- those of us thinking this through will get some good bargains.
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
n my mind "Ricoh" = copiers, "Pentax" = cameras. I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.
As the owner of four Ricoh cameras...I tend to think cameras before copiers.

Steve

07-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #173
Forum Member

Very well said

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
People seem to be forgetting that Ricoh only purchased the Pentax brand and intellectual property (and accompanying staff and infrastructure) in regards to imaging products. Hoya continues to retain ownership of the Pentax brand for the more lucrative medical products.

In light of this sharing arrangement and Ricoh not actually owning the name Pentax outright, it never made sense for Ricoh to commit to naming the company itself Pentax for the long term. Just as it equally wouldn't make sense for Hoya to name their company Pentax now either.

But both corporations know the value of the Pentax name as a brand. That's why Hoya wanted to keep it and Ricoh wanted to buy it.

PS. And for all we know, this change now after a fixed time period may actually be a legal requirement of the original sale by Hoya, ie Ricoh can only use the name for products not entities.
One of the most insightful and least paranoid responses I've read in this whole (getting tedious) thread
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax = K-mount.

Ricoh = everything else.

It was the same under Asahi, and other Inc.'s before that.
Three of my four Ricoh cameras are K-mount.

Steve
07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #175
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which was spun-off from Pepsi some years ago.
But still serve PepsiCo drinks...

Steve
07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #176
Veteran Member

A camera records some of our best moments in life. So, it is linked to our memories and emotions. And in this way, it's depending of our emotions, and our trust. It's certainly not a coke.

And Ricoh is not Sony. And even Sony needed a lot of work when they had launched their line of DSLR, and still their are not a true competitor for Nikon and Canon, even that Sony is bigger that both firms together.

So, we need something to trust in the future of Pentax brand. And in business, like in life, everything depends of trust.

So, Ricoh, you owe us some explanation, because we pay you!
07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
A camera records some of our best moments in life. So, it is linked to our memories and emotions. And in this way, it's depending of our emotions, and our trust. It's certainly not a coke.

And Ricoh is not Sony. And even Sony needed a lot of work when they had launched their line of DSLR, and still their are not a true competitor for Nikon and Canon, even that Sony is bigger that both firms together.

So, we need something to trust in the future of Pentax brand. And in business, like in life, everything depends of trust.

Exactly.
And please stop wasting money in damageable and futile company names changes
Rather spend the bucks in R&D, network distributors rebates, and longterm product-lines building.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote

Actually we buy a product from them and in return for our money they are supposed to supply the product and service. What they wish to do in corporate headquaters is not included in the price we paid for our camera or lens. As they have just released two new DSLRs with the Pentax name and no doubt the name change was not just thought up on the weekend why is there any mention of the need for trust. Pentax was sold as Pentax now under four corporate names plus sold as Pentax under importer's company name as in Honeywell Pentax. The brand Pentax has remained a constant ever since it was introduced replacing the Ashaiflexs.

How many of the products we buy do we even know the offical corporate name for? I have Zeiss lenses for my Hasselblad and Schneider lenses for my large format camera and do not know the offical name for those companies, Zeiss and Schneider is good enough for me. Were my MZ5n and MZ7 made under Ashai or Pentax? Who cares, they plus the K10D, K-r and the K5 we own plus the KM film camera I might be buying all say Pentax and use K mount lenses and take photos. What Ricoh wishes to name themselves or how they are listed on a stock exchange or any other corporate organization is their business. They might owe their shareholders an explaination but to customers who this change will not affect at all unless you want all your boxes to be from the same corporation they do not. Unless there is any indication that it will affect either the brand name or the lens mount it is simply a administrative change. If they had not announced it most of us would never be the wiser.
07-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
But still serve PepsiCo drinks...

Steve
Heh! Touche'
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #180
Veteran Member

I had intended to buy a Pentax 10-17mm this week, to complet my line of lenses. But now I have delayed that purchase. After I've spend more than 4000 euros, it's a problem of trust. A big one for me. And I think that I'm not the only one.