Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the corporate name change as Ricoh owns everything anyway. However, marketing all compacts under Ricoh branding could be suspect as they do not have any awareness in North America. I hope that it works out.

07-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #227
Pentaxian

I have had Pentax equipment since 1968.

I would much prefer the Pentax name to remain on all new DSLR cameras and lenses, etc.

But I do understand business and ownership of a company...by another company.

I recall thinking that when Sony took over Minolta...at least they kept the Minolta lens mount on the body...even if the DSLR body said Sony.

I hope that in the future, the Pentax K mount is maintained....no matter if the DSLR is labeled a Pentax or a Ricoh. I want to continue with the Pentax K system...as I have a lot of money involved (I never say 'invested' ) in equipment using this system.

However from a business standpoint, I think the name Pentax has more cachet than the name Ricoh on a DSLR system.
07-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I recall thinking that when Sony took over Minolta...at least they kept the Minolta lens mount on the body...even if the DSLR body said Sony.
That's because they didn't take over Konica Minolta, which is still going strong "in 35 countries" - KONICA MINOLTA Global

Sony actually saved the AF mount by buying it after Minolta decided to terminate their money-losing camera division. So they only bought the AF mount and Alpha name, not the Minolta name.
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I would much prefer the Pentax name to remain on all new DSLR cameras and lenses, etc.
You might want to actually read the press release. It specifically says DSLR's will continue to be sold under the Pentax brand. Just as they have said multilple times since first announcing purchase of Pentax 2 years ago.

07-04-2013, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
You might want to actually read the press release. It specifically says DSLR's will continue to be sold under the Pentax brand. Just as they have said multilple times since first announcing purchase of Pentax 2 years ago.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I indicated I prefer the name Pentax over Ricoh for a DSLR. I'm not saying that Ricoh will be the new name for any future DSLR's .
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
What gave you the idea it was a Garage Fridge?
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Garage Fridge? Surely you are mistaken!

That's where I keep the lemons and limes for the beer that gets fruit in it.
My apologies for the inadvertent mischaracterization. In our little burg any fridge that contains only beer (and limes and lemons), wherever located, elicits the exclamation when first opened, "Nice Garage Fridge!"

That could also be stated, as at a party, "Nice! Garage Fridge!"
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #232
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
As long as they don't use this opportunity to bring back the dreaded "Ricoh-pin", I don't see this as a big problem (and I've been shooting with Pentax cameras since the mid-80s).

07-04-2013, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #233
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I was joking when I typed the bit about the bikers audacity..
Of course!

but I doubt the LAW makes the kiddie streamers compulsory on your handle bars.. right?
I doubt it also.

PS. Only someone already brain damaged would ride a bike like that without a helmet anyway.
Only someone brain damaged would even think that riding a bike like that was smart!

PS2.. I am assuming that the person on the bike isn't really YOU..
You assumed correctly. I snagged that pic off the interwebs a few years back to use for illustrative purposes in forum posts. It has served me well.

but if it is.. everything I said was meant as a joke and not a personal attack.
Of course! It's all good!

PSZ: That bike would never be allowed on the road in Oz... those handle bars...
I seriously doubt that the dope on that bike got very far before he was stopped and ticketed. As I recall there are laws in the US regarding the distance from the grips on the bars to the seat or some such. I wouldn't know for sure because I would never be so dumb as to outfit a bike like that.

Can you imagine how difficult it must be to maintain proper control of the steering? And how long can a person hold their arms up like that before the heart can no longer pump enough blood through them for proper circulation?
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #234
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My apologies for the inadvertent mischaracterization. In our little burg any fridge that contains only beer (and limes and lemons), wherever located, elicits the exclamation when first opened, "Nice Garage Fridge!"

That could also be stated, as at a party, "Nice! Garage Fridge!"
It's all good mono! Actually, my garage fridge is the one with a keg inside and a tap on the door!
07-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #235
Pentaxian

Why RICOH seems wrong this time ?

Because there are more immediate drawbacks to make this change only two years after take-over announcement, than advantages (which i don't foresee yet):

1- Pentax has already changed 3 times shareholder and/or name in the last 10 years ; beeing a dwarf actor in the photography segment (as far as market-shares are concerned), so perpetuating this instability is dangerous for internal employees motivation, and risquy towards existing or future customers, who both need stability and visibility for the product-lines they are "investing" in ;

2- Pentax's brand was expected to benefit from the new owner in term of marketing, innovation, aso - what have we seen about this yet ? What kind of visibility do we have as far as innovation is concerned under the Pentax brand ?
The loyal customers are getting impatient not seeing true innovations in the new Pentax branded products ; the potential customer just laugh at the last "new K-01 colour" ; the timing of this announcement is therefore wrongly scheduled ;

3- It is strategically wrong and commercially hazardous to carry on with two different labels (although unified as far as R&D is concerned - good thing !); having so small "market prints" and none beeing at the "critical size" to threave enough in the long run ;

4- The clever choice would be to keep only with one brand, and this brand should be Pentax, as far as "global public recognition" is the drive ; including in Japan... This choice was somehow foreseable in the new "Pentax, a ricoh company" slogan : now what will it be ?
How will they manage to keep the Pentax brand as headline of their internet websites ?

5- The renaming operation is costly, and doesn't add short-term value for the customer nor for the share-holder ; the content of the announcement doesn't contributes to clarify the real strategy goals of Ricoh as a "global player", even in the long term

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-05-2013 at 05:48 AM.
07-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #236

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
How will they manage to keep the Pentax brand as headline of their internet websites ?
Pentaxbyricoh.com for instance. I don't see the problem. A Pentax camera from the company Ricoh.
07-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Because there are more immediate drawbacks to make this change only two years after take-over announcement, than advantages (which i don't foresee yet):

1- Pentax has already changed 3 times shareholder and/or name in the last 10 years ; beeing a dwarf actor in the photography segment (as far as market-shares are concerned), so perpetuating this instability is dangerous for internal employees motivation, and risquy towards existing or future customers, who both need stability and visibility for the product-lines they are "investing" in ;

2- Pentax's brand was expected to benefit from the new owner in term of marketing, innovation, aso - what have we seen about this yet ? What kind of visibility do we have as far as innovation is concerned under the Pentax brand ?
The loyal customers are getting impatient not seeing true innovations in the new Pentax branded products ; the potential customer just laugh at the last "new K-01 colour" ; the timing of this announcement is therefore wrongly scheduled ;

3- It is strategically wrong and commercially hazardous to carry on with two different labels (although unified as far as R&D is concerned - good thing !); having so small "market prints" and none beeing at the "critical size" to threave enough in the long run ;

4- The clever choice would be to keep only with one brand, and this brand should be Pentax, as far as "global public recognition" is the drive ; including in Japan... This choice was somehow foreseable in the new "Pentax, a ricoh company" slogan : now what will it be ?

5- The renaming operation is costly, and doesn't add short-term value for the customer nor for the share-holder ; the content of the announcement doesn't contributes to clarify the real strategy goals of Ricoh as a "global player", even in the long term
1. Are you talking about the internet complainers?

2. We're talking about the company name being changed, not about brands, but whatever.
Less than 2 years passed since Ricoh took over Pentax Imaging, obviously no major marketing or "innovation" breakthrough could be made. Actually expecting sudden jumps in any domain would be unrealistic; have patience, things are moving forward.
The blue K-01 was announced due to customer demand, for a specific market. You're saying Pentax should ignore customer demand...

3. And what if there is no overlapping?

4. Are you seriously suggesting that Ricoh should stop using their own name, completely? That would be unusual...
How about PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

5. Exactly how much does it cost?
07-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They should name themselves either Nikon or Canon or Sony depending on who is the most popular at the time.
07-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #239

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Facebook.com:
https://www.facebook.com/pentax.jp
07-05-2013, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #240
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kunzite, all I'm seeying is doom and gloom for Pentax right now.

Less than 2 years passed since Ricoh took over Pentax Imaging, obviously no major marketing or "innovation" breakthrough could be made.
Make that: Almost 2 years passed since Ricoh took over Pentax Imaging, and they couldn't even manage to do the least they could do: make a clear statement on the future of their new branch. Their actions speak louder then words though:

What have we seen from the new company?
- Colourful cameras.
- Colourful lenses.
- Plastic lenses.
- Re-iterations of old cameras and technology.

On the other hand the real issues still aren't tended to:
- When was the new flash announced? 6 Months ago, but still nothing.
- What about the other flashes?
- Updating lens line up?
- When was the last time Pentax marketed some seriously attractive gear? Anything, a limited lens, a * grade lens, anything? They're only discontinueing serious gear, and not replacing them.

Their complete lack of interest in marketing serious photography tools, and their ever increasing amount of Walt Disney gear is their statement about the future of the brand. A big fat middlefinger towards the enthusiastic users that love the old Pentax high quality products.

The blue K-01 was announced due to customer demand, for a specific market. You're saying Pentax should ignore customer demand...
Customer demand? Of all the demands their customers make, they chose THIS ONE to fullfill?!? That's the second big fat middle finger towards their enthusiast users.