Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #496

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Makes sense to me. I've been a guitar player for 30 years, and I know if Fender slapped a different name decal on the headstock, I'd quit playing guitar. Just like if Chevy changed their name, I'd stop driving cars. I just pray Sears doesn't change the Kenmore appliance name to something else, because both my stove and fridge are Kenmore, and I will have to stop eating and will die from lack of food.
I guess I should have used the little sarcastic smiley. I don't think Pentax cameras or the name is going away anytime in the near future. I do not have a crystal ball to see the future, but I feel any changes will be for the good of Pentax.

08-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Since the Ricoh acquisition I've been pretty bullish about K-mount's place in the overall strategy and have had major doubts that they would buy the main asset (K-mount) only to have it devalued by lack of investment and support...
[snip]
What you suggest is a possibility but I don't think it's very likely (unless things go horribly wrong) or Ricoh would not just have started to set up an operation in India (see another thread). It looks as if Ricoh think they are fairly well configured to get through changes in the market. Unlike Canonikon they don't have warehouses of unsold cameras, they aren't about to take a big turnover hit from a nosediving compact market and they don't have the crippling overheads of worldwide networks to support. And they are big in DSLRs, probably the safest bet at the moment. Even if tough times are reducing the amount of money people can put into DSLRs, these are the items folks see as a "real camera", if you want a camera. Compacts and the more plasticky MILCs are maybe seen as a bit of a frippery and easy to forego if you already have a smartphone or tablet camera. Not a bad position to be in really. In fact, a pretty good one perhaps.

That said, imho the DSLR itself needs a bit of modernising or it may start to be seen as too much hassle. Smaller form factors, wifi + apps, tablet tethering, etc - we know the drill. For every enthusiast who says they don't really need this stuff, chances are there are 100 "family camera" buyers who would appreciate a bit more of it. Canonikon have turned over huge sums in the compact market over the past 10-15 years but instead of using the money to modernize the DSLR and write modern mobile operating systems, they've frittered it away. So, lucky break for Ricoh. They aren't nearly as far behind the technical curver, anyway, as they might have been.
08-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Since the Ricoh acquisition I've been pretty bullish about K-mount's place in the overall strategy and have had major doubts that they would buy the main asset (K-mount) only to have it devalued by lack of investment and support...
[snip]
What you suggest is a possibility but I don't think it's very likely (unless things go horribly wrong) or Ricoh would not just have started to set up an operation in India (see another thread). It looks as if Ricoh think they are fairly well configured to get through changes in the market. Unlike Canonikon they don't have warehouses of unsold cameras, they aren't about to take a big turnover hit from a nosediving compact market and they don't have the crippling overheads of worldwide networks to support. And they are big in DSLRs, probably the safest bet at the moment. Even if tough times are reducing the amount of money people can put into DSLRs, these are the items folks see as a "real camera", if you want a camera. Compacts and the more plasticky MILCs are maybe seen as a bit of a frippery and easy to forego if you already have a smartphone or tablet camera. Not a bad position to be in really. In fact, a pretty good one perhaps.

That said, imho the DSLR itself needs a bit of modernising or it may start to be seen as too much hassle. Smaller form factors, wifi + apps, tablet tethering, etc - we know the drill. For every enthusiast who says they don't really need this stuff, chances are there are 100 "family camera" buyers who would appreciate quite a bit more of it (especially if they want a camera free of dependence on a PC). Canonikon have turned over huge sums in the compact market over the past 10-15 years but instead of using the money to modernize the DSLR and write modern mobile operating systems, they've frittered it away and left the DSLR chained to the computer. So, lucky break for Ricoh. They aren't nearly as far behind the technical curve, anyway, as they might have been.
08-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #499
JPT
Pentaxian

Pentax has just put this commercial up on their Japanese website. It will air sometime in September. I'm posting the link in this thread, because it shows how Ricoh views the brand. Pentax is closely associated with the product itself and Ricoh is tagged on the end as the group company. This might be the first time that the average Japanese consumer realises that Pentax is now part of Ricoh, because the acquisition was only really mentioned in the business newspapers and wasn't a big item on the news.

CM????? / K-50 / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

I suppose some people won't like this, but it seems natural to me. Ricoh will want the strength of it's brand to support the product and in return they'll want the success of the Pentax product to rub off on Ricoh itself.

08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #500
Site Supporter

Let's hope you are right !
08-25-2013, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Pentax has just put this commercial up on their Japanese website. It will air sometime in September. I'm posting the link in this thread, because it shows how Ricoh views the brand. Pentax is closely associated with the product itself and Ricoh is tagged on the end as the group company. This might be the first time that the average Japanese consumer realises that Pentax is now part of Ricoh, because the acquisition was only really mentioned in the business newspapers and wasn't a big item on the news.

CM????? / K-50 / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

I suppose some people won't like this, but it seems natural to me. Ricoh will want the strength of it's brand to support the product and in return they'll want the success of the Pentax product to rub off on Ricoh itself.
I love the demonstration of weather resistance! That really is part of what Pentax is about.
08-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #502
Pentaxian

What a surprise, Ricoh is doing exactly what they said they'll do! Who would have thought...
08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #503
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
it shows how Ricoh views the brand
In pink

08-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What a surprise, Ricoh is doing exactly what they said they'll do! Who would have thought...
Before June 5th 2013, Ricoh never said publicly they're going to change the holding company's name from Pentax Ricoh Imaging to Ricoh Imaging. The news caught audience by surprise, and a (new) wave of displeasure among long-time Pentax users raised.
Stick to facts, please.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-25-2013 at 07:30 PM.
08-25-2013, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
In pink
For the new FF, if it ever comes out, a 1970's theme:
sideburns, moustache, pink shirt, Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger.
On the radio, Barry White.

08-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #506
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Before June 5th 2013, Ricoh never said publicly they're going to change the holding company's name from Pentax Ricoh Imaging to Ricoh Imaging. The news caught audience by surprise, and a (new) wave of displeasure among long-time Pentax users raised.
Stick to facts, please.
They never said they wouldn't, either.
Fact: Ricoh claimed they will keep using the Pentax product brand right in the company name change announcement, and after that in e.g. interviews.
Fact: Despite this, on Pentaxforums many were talking about Pentax disappearing even as a product brand.
Fact: My post was referring to the 2 previous facts.
Strawmen won't work with me.
08-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #507

(In a very, very deep voice) Oh, yeah baby!
08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #508
Site Supporter

08-26-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #509
Loyal Site Supporter

08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They never said they wouldn't, either....
C'mon Kunzite ...