Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, Ricoh is a huge name in business machines and a long-running maker of photographic products (since 1936).

Steve
Cameras are consumer electronics products, not business machines. Would you be excited over a Xerox DSLR?

07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
<redacted> I am so frustrated with Pentax/Ricoh. <sigh>.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 07-01-2013 at 09:00 PM.
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All my gear has pentax plastered over it. That won't change. Only gear I really need is the occasional new camera.
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
"All new Ricoh Full Frame dSLR....

07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well that [combined name] didn't last long...

In my mind "Ricoh" = copiers, "Pentax" = cameras. I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.

It would be very sad (and quite stupid) for the Pentax brand to disappear - and dishonourable, in fact, to the legacy of the Pentax company and all who worked to build it.

Let's hope this is a Ricoh corporate ego thing and not the beginnings of the end of the Pentax brand.
07-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who cares?

Does it still say Pentax on your gear and the gear currently being sold?

Aren't the products still awesome, interesting, and fun?

Didn't it used to say "Hoya" on the bottom of the cameras for a few years?

...I thought so ...moving on.
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

In this new world of international marketing and trade, does it really make any difference? Pentax has lost a lot of value as a name anyhow, most young people in many parts of the world have never heard of it. Ricoh is no worse a name than Samsung...and they seem to be doing just fine! I bet they even have a FF camera out before Pentax..or Ricoh...or whatever?
Regards!

07-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
I have been using Pentax for 20 years, and will also retire from shooting if the name is removed.
I don't care what the name of the company is as long as the camera still says Pentax. I would definitely start my transition to another company if the cameras no longer said Pentax on them. To me, it seems like the next logical step, after dropping the Pentax name from cameras (I understand that's not what is happening right now), would be to drop the K-mount. If I'm going to have to use an adapter to use my lenses, then it might as well be on a camera that has more third party support than Pentax/Ricoh.

Pentax and the K-mount are the only thing that have kept me on board. I haven't purchased a lens in a while because I am very unsure of the direction that Ricoh is taking Pentax. I can't make anymore big investments in a company that has only shown me its ability to use the same sensor over and over again and hope that it gets people excited with new colors. I know their current strategy is to get new users, but what about the current users? I hope I don't sound like I'm whining, I'm really not trying to, but that is just how I feel. I probably don't need anything more than 16 megapixels, but better low-light capabilities, tethering, and auto-focus speed sure do sound great.

The company name change doesn't make me worry, but any more changes might rock the boat a little too much.
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My Takumars don't say pentax, they say asahi.
Unless Ricoh doesn't start putting Asahi on their cameras I will never buy one! /sarcasm
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What the new Pentax camera will look like?

07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I don't care what the name of the company is as long as the camera still says Pentax. I would definitely start my transition to another company if the cameras no longer said Pentax on them. To me, it seems like the next logical step, after dropping the Pentax name from cameras (I understand that's not what is happening right now), would be to drop the K-mount. If I'm going to have to use an adapter to use my lenses, then it might as well be on a camera that has more third party support than Pentax/Ricoh.

Pentax and the K-mount are the only thing that have kept me on board. I haven't purchased a lens in a while because I am very unsure of the direction that Ricoh is taking Pentax. I can't make anymore big investments in a company that has only shown me its ability to use the same sensor over and over again and hope that it gets people excited with new colors. I know their current strategy is to get new users, but what about the current users? I hope I don't sound like I'm whining, I'm really not trying to, but that is just how I feel. I probably don't need anything more than 16 megapixels, but better low-light capabilities, tethering, and auto-focus speed sure do sound great.

The company name change doesn't make me worry, but any more changes might rock the boat a little too much.
Same here...

And i share the same sentiments as you... Sooner or later, K-mount would be dropped and "relegated" as totally something of the past together with the likes of M42 mounts.
Not saying that lenses of M42 mounts are bad, but functionality has dropped by a lot actually; the all popular crippled K-mount?

And the recent most underhanded, silent further crippling is in the K5 onwards i believe. **Not many who have used the Kr realised that in DOF preview, the Kr actually meters the scene and allows user to adjust the shutter speed at the same time while showing DOF at the selected aperture for pre-A lenses. Ever since then, models after that only shows DOF preview and nothing else can be done.**

** I might be wrong but i've been missing this function on my K30 and can't figure out a way to do the same as my Kr.

So it's a matter of time before Ricoh, being in the mirrorless segment, drops support for F and FA series lenses..

Sure, they will be able to design an adapter to mount current Pentax lenses, but:

1) I sure don't think it's nice to slap on the lenses on a Ricoh GR via an adapter (can you guys imagine the look?)
2) will the said adapter retain full functionality for post-A series lenses? eg, autofocus for F and FA series.

Last edited by SyncGuy; 07-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
My Takumars don't say pentax, they say asahi.
Unless Ricoh doesn't start putting Asahi on their cameras I will never buy one! /sarcasm
Yes, and I still have my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. Asahi adopted for their company name, their most successful and recgnizable product. Ricoh, I have a feeling is just putting their "brand" on everything that they own.

So, Adam - have you registered the name RicohForums.com? Have you considered a transition plan?

Just inquiring....

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Companies that are much bigger and much more powerful than Pentax are absorbed and chopped up all the time. Why is this so shocking?
07-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Relax, Pentax isnt going anywhere anytime soon. Ricoh is a lot smarter than to toss the Pentax brand out the window.
07-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Sony did it to Minolta. I won't be surprise if the next "big-release" will have the Ricoh logo on them........"All new Ricoh Full Frame dSLR....
That definitely wouldn't surprise me. I also wouldn't be surprised if they bought Pentax just for the k-mount lens portfolio. Maybe the cameras going forward will be ricohs with Pentax branded lenses.