Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Sony did it to Minolta. I won't be surprise if the next "big-release" will have the Ricoh logo on them........"All new Ricoh Full Frame dSLR....
Actually Konica merged with Minolta to become Konica-Minolta. They ended up discontinuing the camera business but sold the DSLR operations to Sony, but not the name.

But even though the press release says "Both PENTAX and RICOH products will remain in the market to reinforce the company’s commitment to the business." you could be right. Hopefully they won't run the same products under both names, like the auto companies do, an example would be like General Motors making the same car body with a Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick model, all with different options and trim but the same chassis.

07-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The beginning of the end . . . . .
07-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

ricohforums.com is taken.
07-01-2013, 11:07 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Maybe it's just that someone pointed out that P.R.I.C. is a rather unfortunate abbreviation to have for any company. Let's hope it's merely a corrective move by Ricoh management and not the beginning of the demise of the Pentax brand name.

07-01-2013, 11:08 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

It seems we've been Rickrolled! (Ricoh Imaging Company K-mount)

07-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I have a feeling that this is the start of a transition period where Ricoh gradually usurps the Pentax portfolio and ditches the brand.

Releasing the 'same' products with different mounts under two brand names seems to offer a way of moving away from the K mount and also offers Ricoh a way to improve their 'brand' presence in the market. People would gradually be weened off of Pentax and onto Ricoh with a new line of products based on Pentax technology. I have a Ricoh film camera here that's at least 30 years old and it has a K-Mount so it would not surprise me if they opened up a parallel line of 'Pentax' products with a new mount and other major feature changes.

I have been buying the odd Pentax lens every now and then of late to get back into the brand (with the idea of getting a Pentax FF down the track) but I may just get rid of it all again and stick with my Nikon kit I think. Luckily I got the current purchases at really great prices when the Australian dollar was 10% higher than the US$, and, due to the dollar losing almost 20% of its value over the past month, I may just get my money back when/if I sell.

The deck chairs are moving because the view keeps changing - the ship keeps going around in circles it seems...

PS: But it is more likely that Pentax will now just be a brand name that they can sell off again when needed.

Last edited by bossa; 07-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I have a feeling that this is the start of a transition period where Ricoh gradually usurps the Pentax portfolio and ditches the brand.
Maybe, but not in the foreseeable future. "Pentax" as a brand name on the DSLR market is still worth a lot more than "Ricoh". It'd be more logical to sell compacts and mirrorless cameras under the Ricoh brand, and DSLR's under the Pentax brand. Actually we should see the Pentax Q as the bridge between Pentax and Ricoh. Doesn't the Q come between P and R in the alphabet?

Personally I don't care as I'm sure they won't be ditching the K-mount and besides, my first SLR was a Ricoh (the very well built XR-1s) and historically they've always been using the M42 and K-mounts, so not all is lost.

07-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Another round for the 'I've jumped ship and all you guys here are suckers' naysayers in this forum to sell their Canikony wares.

Whatever it is, we will know by Oct when the new camera is out.
No mount is safe be it Canon or Nikon.
In fact it already happened twice for Canon and is happening now for Sony.
But that's stretching this name change too far.

Safest bet?
M42 mount, the universal mount.

If one wants to live in fear and despair, then sell all their stuff and live minimally, so that its easy to change brand at a moments notice.
So what happens when in a few years time, when lenses are obsolete with google glass type devices?
What about 10yrs again from that and its a neural chip and the lens is our eye?

I'm already using Takumars on a 5D, as long as K mount is available or usable on something, its pretty fine for me.
The brand/naming is irrelevant, but the system usability/philosophy must fit the user (me).
Personally, I think the quality a dslr can give now is good for most stuff (viewing/printing) for the next 5-10yrs.
07-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
What the new Pentax camera will look like?

Damn, you beat me to it. Ricoh built good cameras back-when. Now, they do so again

I guess this may be a good time to get people's hopes up, so here goes:

"Perhaps this indicates that they feel that they've now concluded the integration, and just need to 'clean up the brand' before releasing their new exciting product lines?"
07-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I hate to say I told you so, but... No I don't hate doing that at all. Look at what happened to each and every other brand that they aquired in the recent past. Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Gestetner, Lanier, Infotec, Infoprint.

And after all, it doesn't really make any difference if we have to put a black sticker over the "Pentax" or over the "Ricoh" logo.

What DOES make a difference though, is what's next up in line: Scratching the K-mount. Ricoh is going to want the Pentax userbase to be slowly integrated into Ricoh. So, a new Ricoh branded camera with new mount will be probably be marketed. It will get all the updates and new lenses, whilst the Pentax lineup will remain the same or will slowly be discontinued.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-02-2013 at 01:43 AM.
07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #41
Pentaxian

The sky is falling! Run to the caves!
Come on, people - it doesn't make sense to rename the DSLR line so they won't. As they said, the only change is the companies names.
07-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I don't understand the negative reaction. Even if they call the camera brand with the wackiest name, it won't change what the camera does. Renaming it to CaNikon will certainly not do anything to the equipment.
07-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Sony did it to Minolta. I won't be surprise if the next "big-release" will have the Ricoh logo on them........"All new Ricoh Full Frame dSLR....
But Sony is a huge name in consumer electronics. It makes sense.

Ricoh, if known at all, is known for photocopiers... in terms of cameras Pentax is better known IMHO.
07-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Another round for the 'I've jumped ship and all you guys here are suckers' naysayers in this forum to sell their Canikony wares.

Whatever it is, we will know by Oct when the new camera is out.
No mount is safe be it Canon or Nikon.
In fact it already happened twice for Canon and is happening now for Sony.
But that's stretching this name change too far.

Safest bet?
M42 mount, the universal mount.

If one wants to live in fear and despair, then sell all their stuff and live minimally, so that its easy to change brand at a moments notice.
So what happens when in a few years time, when lenses are obsolete with google glass type devices?
What about 10yrs again from that and its a neural chip and the lens is our eye?

I'm already using Takumars on a 5D, as long as K mount is available or usable on something, its pretty fine for me.
The brand/naming is irrelevant, but the system usability/philosophy must fit the user (me).
Personally, I think the quality a dslr can give now is good for most stuff (viewing/printing) for the next 5-10yrs.
Interesting remark about Neural Chips. A Quantum Computer the size of a pinhead can theoretically process way better than our current technology even if all matter in The Universe were converted to the purpose. Forgetting about cameras for a moment: I wonder how relevant the Human Brain would be if a Quantum Computer chip were installed as a peripheral in said brain - if the organic brain were to die, would 'YOU' still exist?
07-02-2013, 01:35 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

The German press release is a bit more specific:
Änderung des Firmennamens - Nachrichten - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

QuoteQuote:
Die PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY LTD, hat heute die Änderung des Firmennamens auf

RICOH IMAGING COMANY, LTD

mit Wirkung zum 1.August 2013, bekannt gegeben.

Die Firma Pentax Ricoh Imaging wurde am 1. Oktober 2011 als hundertprozentige Tochtergesellschaft von Ricoh Company Ltd gegründet, um verstärkt Verbraucher-orientierte Produkte anzubieten.

Das Ziel des Unternehmens ist es die enorme Kraft und das Bewusstsein für die Marke Ricoh zusammen mit den ausgezeichneten technischen Innovationen von Pentax zu bündeln, um Verbrauchern ein Erlebnis auf Weltklasse Niveau zu ermöglichen.

Die RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wird sich für einen weiteren Ausbau ihrer Angebote und Präsenz im Bereich der Consumer-Kameras und damit verbundene Dienstleistungen engagieren.

In diesem Zuge wird der Markenname PENTAX weiterhin für alle Kameras und Objektive im Bereich SLR und Systemkameras sowie Ferngläser verwendet. Der Markenname RICOH wird künftig für Kompaktkameras und für Innovationsprodukte mit neuen Technologien stehen.

Im Zuge der Umbenennung, ebenfalls zum 1. August 2013, werden sich auch die Firmenbezeichnungen der Niederlassungen ändern.

Die Europazentrale unter der Firmierung RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S hat weiterhin ihren Sitz in Paris.

Die Region Deutschland, Österreich und Schweiz wird künftig durch die RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH, mit Sitz in Hamburg betreut.

The brand name PENTAX still will be used for cameras (system cameras, i.e. mirrorless and DSLRs), lenses and binoculars.
The brand name RICOH in future will be used for compact cameras and innovative products with new technologies.