Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Seriously, who cares?
Maybe they were just sick of being referred to as PRIC. Can't imagine why....
Eactly. And in the meantime, while announcements from Ricoh are about the name, the 70D is announced... ;-)

07-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Other than five years between 2001-2006, Pentax has not been the corporation. The name 'Pentax' is just a marketing trademark. Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya, and now Ricoh have been the corporate owners. And a couple of those owners made sure you knew that Pentax was just a trademark because they prominently displayed the corporate name with the trademark. 'Vivitar' is likewise just a trademark - and if the industry is still flaunting that trademark, I don't see 'Pentax' disappearing anytime soon.
Attached Images

07-02-2013, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Maybe it's just that someone pointed out that P.R.I.C. is a rather unfortunate abbreviation to have for any company.
If the name PRIC is now available, then perhaps this forum should consider a name change? PF >> PRIC (Pentax Ricoh Imaging Club). We could all be PRICs!
07-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Other than five years between 2001-2006, Pentax has not been the corporation. The name 'Pentax' is just a marketing trademark. Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya, and now Ricoh have been the corporate owners. And a couple of those owners made sure you knew that Pentax was just a trademark because they prominently displayed the corporate name with the trademark. 'Vivitar' is likewise just a trademark - and if the industry is still flaunting that trademark, I don't see 'Pentax' disappearing anytime soon.
Aside from Asahi Pentax (my first SLR), and Honeywell Pentax, there was the earlier Asahiflex (the first Japanese-made SLR) which was also sold by Sears under the name Tower.

07-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And people still don't know what a Sony camera is, just like they don't know what a Sony movie (Columbia Pictures) is..
I bet there are 100x more people know what a Sony camera is compared to Pentax. Go into BestBuy and see how many Sony cameras are on display compared to Pentax. Pentax is going the way of Minolta.
07-02-2013, 06:10 AM - 3 Likes   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing to see here.

The Marketing Division in the USA will change its name to:
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION U.S.A.
Bottom of Pentax K10D shows "Pentax Digital Camera" and "Pentax Corporation"

Bottom of Pentax K7 shows "Pentax Digital Camera" and "Hoya Corporation"

Bottom of K5II shows "Pentax Digital Camera" and "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd."

Bottom of next Pentax dSLR will show "Pentax Digital Camera" and "Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd."

Ricoh maintains brands that have "brand currency," i.e. marketing value as a name.

Pentax is committed to Q, K-mount and 645.

End of discussion.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-02-2013 at 07:43 AM.
07-02-2013, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet there are 100x more people know what a Sony camera is compared to Pentax. Go into BestBuy and see how many Sony cameras are on display compared to Pentax. Pentax is going the way of Minolta.
Not. Gonna. Happen.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-02-2013 at 07:42 AM.
07-02-2013, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Correction: Honeywell has NEVER been corporate owner (though they indeed sold the Pentaxes under the Heiland and Honeywell names).
07-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #84
Den
Veteran Member

I figure all my Pentax gear will become collectors items and therefore be more valuable
07-02-2013, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People seem to be forgetting that Ricoh only purchased the Pentax brand and intellectual property (and accompanying staff and infrastructure) in regards to imaging products. Hoya continues to retain ownership of the Pentax brand for the more lucrative medical products.

In light of this sharing arrangement and Ricoh not actually owning the name Pentax outright, it never made sense for Ricoh to commit to naming the company itself Pentax for the long term. Just as it equally wouldn't make sense for Hoya to name their company Pentax now either.

But both corporations know the value of the Pentax name as a brand. That's why Hoya wanted to keep it and Ricoh wanted to buy it.

PS. And for all we know, this change now after a fixed time period may actually be a legal requirement of the original sale by Hoya, ie Ricoh can only use the name for products not entities.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 07-02-2013 at 06:45 AM.
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
I don't understand the negative reaction. Even if they call the camera brand with the wackiest name, it won't change what the camera does. Renaming it to CaNikon will certainly not do anything to the equipment.
I think the negativity doesn't really come from the name change, but more from disappointment by the lack of better news, maybe? Pentax was on a roll, releasing all kinds of new products, a MILC, lower tier and medium tier products, building op to something possibly exciting... and then suddendly: a formality.

We're a spoiled and impatient bunch. Me myself up front.
07-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't care what they call it, just so long as they keep the K-mount and continue the pentax tradition of making quality glass.
I agree, and please don't forget weather sealed equipment all the way..!
07-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

Hopefully they won't run the same products under both names, like the auto companies do, an example would be like General Motors making the same car body with a Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick model, all with different options and trim but the same chassis.
For all we know Ricoh could very well follow the footsteps of automakers having a “standard” and “luxury” division. Take for example Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity or Honda/Acura. I guess the question is who would be the standard and who would be the luxury brand – Pentax or Ricoh?

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That definitely wouldn't surprise me. I also wouldn't be surprised if they bought Pentax just for the k-mount lens portfolio. Maybe the cameras going forward will be ricohs with Pentax branded lenses.
If Ricoh rebrands the Pentax name I’m guessing it would be for both body and lens – I hope.
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Of course, watch such a camera be called the "K-GR" or the "GR-K" and be mirrorless...
....and multicolor availabiltiy.....Pink, Fuchsia, Yugo Racing White...
07-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #90
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Yes, and I still have my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. Asahi adopted for their company name, their most successful and recgnizable product. Ricoh, I have a feeling is just putting their "brand" on everything that they own.

So, Adam - have you registered the name RicohForums.com? Have you considered a transition plan?

Just inquiring....

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
ricohforums.com is taken.
Yes, but did you know who owns it?

ricohforums.com: About Motec