Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #136

Why is the maker of Colca-Cola called
"The Coca Cola Company", rather than
"Brownish and Miscellaneous Differently Coloured Softdrinks Corp."?

Because the Company names signifies to everyone (both employees and customers), which product is deemed important and deemed worth to be proud of. This is now taken away, with regards to a "we are Pentax" spirit.

But more worrying is actualy reading between the lines:
I counted the term "CONSUMER" three times, but didn't see a mention of "Professionals". This may be an indication on where the journey will go. Possibly, Ricoh intends to tackle Olympus more strategically from now on

07-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #137
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If Ricoh are limiting themselves to compacts and Pentax to DSLRs and ILC's then how are Pentax supposed to develop their market?
I think it's more complex than that.

In reality, Ricoh Imaging is much bigger idea than optics or system cameras part that Pentax brought in. It may cover everything, from consumer electronics and optics to scientific, industrial and medical applications, factory autonomation, production supervision, inspection, security, all levels of image capture and printing technologies, TCO imaging and document solutions, etc.

When we see a shiny box coming out of Ricoh Imaging in consumer market, it is just a tip of the iceberg of their overall work and strategic commitment.

Both 'Pentax' and 'Ricoh' brands, in the past and now, worked for government, on military projects too (one deal they got recently). Say, a by-product of such work for government once was the SMC coating, now famed and used one consumer lenses.

As a Ricoh Imaging, things are just simpler and allow for easier integration of many vital parts of the company.
07-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #138
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Maybe it's just that someone pointed out that P.R.I.C. is a rather unfortunate abbreviation to have for any company. Let's hope it's merely a corrective move by Ricoh management and not the beginning of the demise of the Pentax brand name.
I LIKE it!! Oh,the fun we could have...

Look, I have that welling up of "Pentaxian pride", too. Bottom line: if it focuses better & faster, I don't care WHAT name they sell it with!
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #139
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
I shoot Pentax, I don't shoot Ricoh...
I shoot photographs, and it happens that I use a Pentax DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right; and I drive a Dodge, not a Chrysler.
I drive a car (sometimes a Subaru, Toyota, Chevy or Datsun), a pickup (Dodge Dually currently), and a big truck (Freightliner Columbia right now).

07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #140
mee
Veteran Member

This is another surreal thread.

Sadly, it never fails to see the level of panic and lack of logic used here and at other photography forums - it is not only a Pentax issue but one of photo-centric forums as a whole. And I don't get it.. but it seems as if photographers generally are not that adept to thinking things through before reacting and are as brand loyal as Ford vs Chevy / Apple vs PC folks.. if not more. Who cares with what you shoot photographs? It isn't a handbag you're carrying but a camera... the label and the color matter not. Your camera is a tool to get a (creative) job completed.. not a piece of clothing to parade like a Barbie.

It is similar here in the photography world to dealing with people in criminal justice... the overwhelming majority (both in the police force as well as undergrads) have a distinct personality of white/black thinking and a small sense of humor in my experiences... we need these people.. it is simply an interesting observation.

The musicians and audio engineering forums are largely more friendly and together, not as brand loyal (but still occurs), and arguments tend to be over technique and sometimes genre instead of arm-chairing company business (like happens here daily in painful detail).

That is, it appears that different personalities tend to be drawn to different activities and the ones here in photoland are rather difficult to handle (for me at least) and comprehend at times. I'm guessing at least a third of the worries/posts in this thread could have been resolved with more thorough reading of the press announcement and a teency bit of deduction.. or at least patience.
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This is another surreal thread.

Sadly, it never fails to see the level of panic and lack of logic used here and at other photography forums - it is not only a Pentax issue but one of photo-centric forums as a whole. And I don't get it.. but it seems as if photographers generally are not that adept to thinking things through before reacting and are as brand loyal as Ford vs Chevy / Apple vs PC folks.. if not more. Who cares with what you shoot photographs? It isn't a handbag you're carrying but a camera... the label and the color matter not. Your camera is a tool to get a (creative) job completed.. not a piece of clothing to parade like a Barbie.

It is similar here in the photography world to dealing with people in criminal justice... the overwhelming majority (both in the police force as well as undergrads) have a distinct personality of white/black thinking and a small sense of humor in my experiences... we need these people.. it is simply an interesting observation.

The musicians and audio engineering forums are largely more friendly and together, not as brand loyal (but still occurs), and arguments tend to be over technique and sometimes genre instead of arm-chairing company business (like happens here daily in painful detail).

That is, it appears that different personalities tend to be drawn to different activities and the ones here in photoland are rather difficult to handle (for me at least) and comprehend at times. I'm guessing at least a third of the worries/posts in this thread could have been resolved with more thorough reading of the press announcement and a teency bit of deduction.. or at least patience.
I'm also a musician (I was a pro' for 32 years) and I also frequent Gearslutz but it is only this forum that brings out the 'panic' in me.

People always identify with their tools if they are into their work, and it doesn't matter which field you're into either. I like my Les Paul as much as my Strat as much as my 335 as much as my Maton as much as my etc and I'm not all that worried about Gibson not making another '57 gold top because I've already got one. I AM concerned that my investment in lenses may vapourize along with the brand name and the possibility of no future high standard camera body to support them.

But then again, I already sold off most of my Pentax rig last year anyway so I suppose I'm just whinging.

Last edited by bossa; 07-03-2013 at 01:21 AM.
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveTheOldMan Quote

Look, I have that welling up of "Pentaxian pride", too. Bottom line: if it focuses better & faster, I don't care WHAT name they sell it with!
Focusing better and faster, thy name be Nikon

07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right; and I drive a Dodge, not a Chrysler.
So you drive a Fiat?
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #144
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Focusing better and faster, thy name be Nikon
Aye, but me lenses don't mesh with the funny hole in the Nikon cameras...About $2k ought to get me back to where I am now (after selling all me Pentax gear.)
07-02-2013, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #145
Veteran Member

So long as they keep the K mount on their DSLR's they could call themselves "Pink Cow" for all I care. I'm not hung up on the name. I'm hung up on the gear. I would miss the Pentax if they dropped if off the cameras eventually, but if they do, they do. So long as they are still making K-mount DSLR's I'm there. They cease production of those? Then I'm done and I'll be buying used K mount gear till I can't anymore. At that point I'd probably grudgingly go Nikon I suppose but I would not be happy about it.
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #146
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So you drive a Fiat?
Exactly.

I drive a long bed, crew cab, 3/4 ton diesel pickup that says Ram on it. If I pulled those badges off and replaced them with ones that said Yugo it would still be the exact same truck.
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #147
Veteran Member

OUCH!! Look alike Pentax is retirement????
07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Sony did it to Minolta. I won't be surprise if the next "big-release" will have the Ricoh logo on them........"All new Ricoh Full Frame dSLR....
I'll take two please
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just think Ricoh has shot themselves in the foot if they are serious about promoting the Pentax brand. Prior to this move, if you Google Pentax you get the Pentax-Ricoh website. It just makes the brand harder to find.
07-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveTheOldMan Quote

Well, it /is/ pride-month, is it not? You could always try to organize a "Pentax Pride Parade" in your local city....

I'm not sure, though, that you'd need to ask for official prefectural permission as long as you and the two other guys showing up will stay on the sidewalk and not disrupt traffic