Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #286
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Of course there will be. Right on the bottom where it now says Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd.

07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #287
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
19 pages? Let me know when this actually affects the Pentax brand.

...well, aside from getting rid of the unfortunate acronym "PRIC"
Well, look at the bright side. They're not based in Korea. (PRICK)
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #288

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I don't care what the name of the company is as long as the camera still says Pentax. I would definitely start my transition to another company if the cameras no longer said Pentax on them. To me, it seems like the next logical step, after dropping the Pentax name from cameras (I understand that's not what is happening right now), would be to drop the K-mount. If I'm going to have to use an adapter to use my lenses, then it might as well be on a camera that has more third party support than Pentax/Ricoh.

Pentax and the K-mount are the only thing that have kept me on board. I haven't purchased a lens in a while because I am very unsure of the direction that Ricoh is taking Pentax. I can't make anymore big investments in a company that has only shown me its ability to use the same sensor over and over again and hope that it gets people excited with new colors. I know their current strategy is to get new users, but what about the current users? I hope I don't sound like I'm whining, I'm really not trying to, but that is just how I feel. I probably don't need anything more than 16 megapixels, but better low-light capabilities, tethering, and auto-focus speed sure do sound great.

The company name change doesn't make me worry, but any more changes might rock the boat a little too much.
I, too, feel the same. I have always been proud to carry a camera with Pentax stamped on it. The size, toughness, and other unique features has kept me away from other brands and have even overlooked the long wait for feature improvements and innovations, many of the technical problems, and outright bad customer service/repair problems. Removing the Pentax name will make it easier to move to Nikon or even a Sony. Even the Canon, which I'm not too crazy about usually, is starting to look like a good alternative with the new 70D, a camera with nice features such as the articulating touchscreen in a weather resistant, although plastic ala K30, body.

I think Ricoh bought Pentax for the DSLR's first, the K-mount second, and lastly, the name. So it is not farfetched that the Pentax brand will eventually go the way of Minolta. But that will not happen until they have a much bigger DSLR market share. BTW, Ricoh have used the K-mount in their film cameras since the mid-80's, so there is some legacy involved and I don't think they will forgo the K-mount anytime soon.
07-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd say, poor comprehension skills or even unwillingness to understand what's clearly written.
And of course, your posts dont add to the serie.

There are obvioustly different kind of "fanboyism" and you should at least recognize this fact, beeing part of the "wooden tong" club !

07-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #290
Pentaxian

Obviously not, as I understand everything

Do you have "wooden tong" clubs, in France? Interesting...
07-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #291
Pentaxian

Definitely yes, and they usually entail - soon or late - popular upheavals
07-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #292

Ah, good to know. And I thought for a moment, in France a wooden tong[ue] club membership is required by regulation, for eating roasted frogs

07-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #293
Pentaxian

I appreciate this kind of humour, be there's no need to feel upset.

France is the third country as far as Pentax sales unit volumes are concerned ; no mention to say that makes a lot of frogs to roast if any intention.
And we know many friends would hep us abroad.

To get an idea of the forum members reactions/forthcoming corporate and/or commercial changes, officially announced or resulting from projection/speculation , y suggest someone opens a pool : any volunteer ?
07-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #294
Veteran Member

20 pages. We're still talking about this?
07-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #295
Pentaxian

At least this thread has roughly concentrated on the subject for those 20 pages - could be taken as an example compared to a few other ones...
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #296

Come on, just 4 postings to go, and we will have reached the 300 postings mark.

What about yet another name change?
What about PRINGLE? "Pentax Ricoh Imaging, Next Generation Light-capturing Equipment"?

However, PRINGLE could be mistaken for:
"PRick Is Never Good Language for Enterprises"
or for: "Please Refrain from Insane Naming of Global or Local Enterprises"

Last edited by Frater; 07-07-2013 at 10:45 AM.
07-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #297

Pentax has gone from being a venerable and well respected brand name to just being a product line. I wouldn't be surprised if the new cameras currently bearing the name Pentax are eventually renamed Ricoh-Pentax like Canon Eos. Even if this doesn't happen Pentax is now a product line already and no longer exists as an independent brand.
07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #298
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
At least this thread has roughly concentrated on the subject for those 20 pages - could be taken as an example compared to a few other ones...
You mean, thread derailment?

07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Pentax has gone from being a venerable and well respected brand name to just being a product line. I wouldn't be surprised if the new cameras currently bearing the name Pentax are eventually renamed Ricoh-Pentax like Canon Eos. Even if this doesn't happen Pentax is now a product line already and no longer exists as an independent brand.
You might not want to read through 20 pages of this thread, or even just check Wikipedia, but for 45 years Pentax was "just a brand" of the Asahi Optical Co...

THERE WAS NO COMPANY CALLED PENTAX TILL 2002 AND WAS BOUGHT BY HOYA IN 2007
07-07-2013, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Pentax has gone from being a venerable and well respected brand name to being a venerable and well respected brand name.
And this thread will probably reach 100 pages.