Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who are we?! We aren't Pentaxians anymore!

With the new Pentax Ricoh name change, what will we call ourselves? Personally I will always be a Pentaxian at heart.

07-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, for as long as there is PENTAX on the front of my camera.
07-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Will still be Pentaxian, because the name of the camera will be Pentax. The changing of company name do not affect the name of the products.

Quote: ''Both PENTAX and RICOH products will remain in the market to reinforce the company’s commitment to the business.''
07-02-2013, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
With the new Pentax Ricoh name change, what will we call ourselves? Personally I will always be a Pentaxian at heart.
If going by the name of the company that produce the camera we have not been pentaxians for long. It was only between 2002-2008 that Pentax Corporation produced cameras. Before 2002 it was Asahi optical co that produced "Pentax" cameras.

For most of the time "Pentax" has only been a brand of the cameras, lenses and other products, but not the company.
My Pentax K7 is produced by Hoya. my K10D is produced by Pentax Corporation and my MZ-5n is produced by Asahi Optical Co.

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-02-2013 at 04:32 AM.
07-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I realize that the camera's will still be called Pentax, but it'll be weird calling the corporation something else.
07-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I realize that the camera's will still be called Pentax, but it'll be weird calling the corporation something else.
Did you know that until 2002, the compagny was not named Pentax?

See Pentax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If going by the name of the company that produce the camera we have not been pentaxians for long. It was only between 2004-2008 that Pentax Corporation produced cameras. Before 2004 it was Asahi optical co that produced "Pentax" cameras.

For most of the time "Pentax" has only been a brand of the cameras, lenses and other products, but not the company.
My Pentax K7 is produced by Hoya. my K10D is produced by Pentax Corporation and my MZ-5n is produced by Asahi Optical Co.
I think this is the most down to earth point of view related to the name change that I have seen so far. Thanks!

Now I'm going to order that DFA 100mm... LOL!

07-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Although there is generally a direct link between well-known brands and the parent company, there are many examples (some cited above) where corporate names differ. It can be for legal reasons, family pride or even convoluted agreements with powers that have absolutely nothing to do with the brand itself! Here's an example of the latter ... The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.(I always scratched my head over that one, but a quick trip to Wikipedia set me straight.)

So, within the friendly confines of these forums, I'll continue to call myself a Pentaxian. But honestly, out in the real world it's not likely to be a topic of conversation. People may ask what I brand I shoot, but not what they should call me based on that brand!

Last edited by jamarley; 07-02-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added text and re-worded
07-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Should we be Ricohnians then ? lol
07-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Being discussed here.
Closed Thread