Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am worried about the direction that Ricoh is taking Pentax. Adding more colours does not enhance a camera. While I have many Pentax products (K5IIs, K30, K01, Q), the recent decisions have left me scratching my head. K50 and K500 with no new features, Q10 with multiple colours and now the K01 new colour. While Canon, Sony and others are advancing their tech (i.e. 70D), Pentax is releasing more colours? I hope it works out for them as I have lots invested in this system.

07-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
It's definitely a fair point to be vary of. I guess that it goes to show that some people have "small minds" and can't fathom that the same company can cater to multiple markets.
I don't think it's the mistake of those people and their small minds. Canon and Nikon have goofy and colourfull products as well. But they tend to their pro/prosumer products at the same time as well. Pentax is forgetting all about that. Or it's just the direction they've taken. If they're doing this unintentionally though, then it's going to be hard to shake that reputation again. Just like their reputation of being a "cheap" brand, that they just can't seem to get rid of, despite their expensive and durable products.
07-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #63
Forum Member

Thing is, the black isn't "fully black and stealth" and so doesn't do much of a Darth Vader impression.....

Fair enough, they weren't great suggestions anyway, I prefer "Black Friday" black.
Even I'm tempted by the price it's going for these day.

What's an izakaya?
07-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, curses, why did you have to go say exactly /that/ ?

It's like asking your regular liquer-store for the number of the Betty Ford Clinic....

The sad thing about this hobby (or this curse) is too often CBA, or LBA defies any logic or reason. Once we picture (pun intended) ourselves owning a camera or a lens, come hell or high waters (or mad wife), we know that it's not a mere question of "will I get it", but rather it becomes a question of "how do I hide this thing from my wife".

But if I attempt to buy a blue and white camera, good luck to me as to how I'll hide such a darn beautiful thing!

07-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't think it's the mistake of those people and their small minds. Canon and Nikon have goofy and colourfull products as well. But they tend to their pro/prosumer products at the same time as well. Pentax is forgetting all about that. Or it's just the direction they've taken. If they're doing this unintentionally though, then it's going to be hard to shake that reputation again. Just like their reputation of being a "cheap" brand, that they just can't seem to get rid of, despite their expensive and durable products.
Fair points again, image is important and (the 645D aside) Ricoh definitely needs to do something to strengthen the perception of the "pro-side of the business", be that through public statements on the K-mount, a blow-competition-out-of-the-water APS-C pro body, expanding the 645D while reducing its size ("FF? What do you mean FF, 35mm is too small to be useful, hah!").

I'm willing to give them time to do that, and I trust that they'll do the right thing. In the meantime, if they can keep the cash flowing to keep their shareholders happy and the R&D folks paid , I say "bring it on"...

(And I honestly didn't know 'bout Canon and Nikon's goofy products, have to go look at that, despite having to wear a formal suit to work, I am a sucker for quirky and goofy)...
07-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
Fair enough, they weren't great suggestions anyway, I prefer "Black Friday" black.
Even I'm tempted by the price it's going for these day.

What's an izakaya?
Black-friday black is just so American, we do not have that over here.

An Izakaya is a japanese drinking establishment, somewhat informal, for after-work-getting-drunk-with-friends-and-bosses-and-colleagues. General rule is a little like vegas: "What happens in an Izakaya, stays at an Izakaya".....you'll be a salaryman getting drunk and cracking back-slapping jokes with the CEO of your megacorp like you were best buds from college - and next morning, in the office (hangover aside, you'll be there, and on time), it'll be respectful cold distances, bowing, and back to what appears rigid formality.

Personally, I believe that the Izakaya are the sole reason Japan is able to function - better than zanax .....

For more info, look at Wikipedia.

Oh, and going to an Izakaya can be quite a way to meet people, when in Japan as a foreigner....but, that's for another story, to be told only in an Izakaya over a sake...for what happens in an Izakaya....
07-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Professionally, I've stopped using my Pentax gear completely now. I had to. Dispite the black tape over the Pentax-logo, one of my clients said: "Pentax?! But aren't they the ones with all the happy coloured cameras? You're kidding, right?" Ashamed I told them it was a mistake and went to my car to get my "serious" camera. A 5DmkII, which I dislike using a lot. Next time the K-5IIs stays at home.

That's what they're destroying right now. Pentax was famous for their excellent primes, great optics, durability and high IQ. Now, they're becomming known for their Walt Disney gear. They'll have a hard time shaking off that reputation. Just like they had a similar bad time shaking off the reputation of being "cheap". The cheap-label is still sticking sometimes.
Agree 100%

I agree completely with you: if you're in the picture-taking business, then a "coloured tool" doesn't do one iota to help you do the job.

Ricoh is, however, not in the picture-taking business...they're (in this case) in the camera-selling-business. I'd bet dimes to donuts that a "coloured tool" helps them in their camera-selling-business in the markets where that tool is available.

Clavius, you're thinking about a camera as a "tool". Let me therefore ask you, do you have a car? What color is it? How does that color (over, say, any other color) make you a better driver.....? Why aren't you driving a military jeep, they'll get you from A to B, and are reliable to boot?

I think that the problem that many are having is, that they're thinking about a camera as a "photo making tool", and so think that buying it is "with the head only".

A camera is a tool, most certainly, and I think that you will agree that the K-01 is competent as such, in that there're great pictures made with it.

But, it's not exclusively a tool - like your car, it's to some degree an extension of your personality, or at least a reflection of it. You bought it not /only/ for rational reasons, although you may try to think of it as such.

The target market of the K-01 doesn't buy "military jeeps" solely as tools, they buy a red sportscar, or a yellow SUV because they /also/ buy with their hearts, and the object - for whatever reason - attracts them.

And, if Ricoh manages to tap into that correctly........
Agree with this too.

However, when a company has a product, that was heavily discounted to liquidate inventory, and was officially said to be discontinued, as in the K-01, bringing it back means that a production line is re-started. That means that whatever was to come "after" on that production line, is put in limbo. Unless you have a parts bin that is filled with the parts you need and no "new" parts are actually being made.

These two realities show a horrible insight into a manufacturing company's process.

Unless, in other markets the product had never ceased production, which then makes you look ever worse in that some of your customers were told one thing, and now it means you lied to them.

I don't think I have ever heard of a company, other than a company that is going out-of-business that has such a fractured "message" in all their operations.

As a long time Pentaxian, I struggle to interpret these moves by Ricoh.

With over $70k dollars worth of Pentax gear, I have started to give up on how to plan for what Pentax gear I will buy in the future.

I make an international trip each year to build up my "inventory" of images and video for the subsequent year to use.

My serious tools have been K5 cameras, and where needed, either my MZ-S or 645.
I am waiting on a higher resolution camera with incremental advances based on the technical competence of the K5. Period. Nothing fancy. Pretty simple given what the competition is putting out now.

If Pentax is no longer going to be a "serious" camera company, just tell me, so I can keep all my wonderful Pentax gear, but move on to a "grown-up" company.

07-04-2013, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #68
Forum Member

Professionally, I've stopped using my Pentax gear completely now. I had to. Dispite the black tape over the Pentax-logo, one of my clients said: "Pentax?! But aren't they the ones with all the happy coloured cameras? You're kidding, right?" Ashamed I told them it was a mistake and went to my car to get my "serious" camera. A 5DmkII, which I dislike using a lot. Next time the K-5IIs stays at home.
I don't understand this. As a professional you can't stand by your tools and methods!? Why be ashamed?
Why can't you just grin and say 'Yeah they do make some cheesy consumer models don't they? This kit gives me the results I need for this job though and I'm all about delivering the results.'?
07-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote

The sad thing about this hobby (or this curse) is too often CBA, or LBA defies any logic or reason. Once we picture (pun intended) ourselves owning a camera or a lens, come hell or high waters (or mad wife), we know that it's not a mere question of "will I get it", but rather it becomes a question of "how do I hide this thing from my wife".

But if I attempt to buy a blue and white camera, good luck to me as to how I'll hide such a darn beautiful thing!
I guess I'm just darn lucky. I've /never/ had to hide any camera or lens acquisition from my significant other - showing off, sharing the joy, is part of the fun.
07-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Is it possible that Pentax is really targeting consumers who will simply buy a camera and wouldn't be bothered with looking like a "professional"? The typical Tom, Dick and Harry, who will never understand what an aperture is if their lives depend on it?

While this may or may not impact us (mostly fanatics), it is possible that we are probably not the critical mass that Pentax has in mind when they think customers. We are the vocal ones, but are we sure that we are the target customers?
07-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, in that case the "Stormtrooper" should be renamed "the Elusive", for in my neck of the woods it was possible to get the silver - but impossible to get the white

I'm much surprised that we haven't seen a candy-floss pink one yet, though....for the same market as the Smurf.

Well, I call it the 'Pandatrooper' to differentiate with the ORIGINAL Stormtrooper, the white K-m/K2000, since the curves were half the reason for the name. If you are going to be in Japan again, I'll swap you a Pandatrooper for a Smurf...

I once mocked up pink-gripped and teal-gripped K-01s to complement the Bumblebee, just to see what they would look like. I'd share the pix, but with the rumour mill in overdrive, it would be like throwing firecrackers in a refinery...
07-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #72
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Well, I call it the 'Pandatrooper' to differentiate with the ORIGINAL Stormtrooper, the white K-m/K2000, since the curves were half the reason for the name. If you are going to be in Japan again, I'll swap you a Pandatrooper for a Smurf...
'Smurftrooper'!!
07-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. But I usually say it "Black. Friday Black." (Like "Bond. James Bond.") "Classic Black" also works.
07-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #74
Forum Member

Oh yeah, I know. Not here either. Catchy though.

An Izakaya is a japanese drinking establishment, somewhat informal, for after-work-getting-drunk-with-friends-and-bosses-and-colleagues. General rule is a little like vegas: "What happens in an Izakaya, stays at an Izakaya".....you'll be a salaryman getting drunk and cracking back-slapping jokes with the CEO of your megacorp like you were best buds from college - and next morning, in the office (hangover aside, you'll be there, and on time), it'll be respectful cold distances, bowing, and back to what appears rigid formality.

Personally, I believe that the Izakaya are the sole reason Japan is able to function - better than zanax .....

For more info, look at Wikipedia.

Oh, and going to an Izakaya can be quite a way to meet people, when in Japan as a foreigner....but, that's for another story, to be told only in an Izakaya over a sake...for what happens in an Izakaya....
Ah... we have that too, here we call it 'the pub'. Just swap the bowing for awkward avoidance.
07-04-2013, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chemnash Quote
K-01 White×Blue?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

ok, so pentax become a purely color painter, no new tech new product, just repaint the old ones.
I don't like Rice High. I don't like what he does and what he stands for. And most of all... I don't think he has any place in this community.