Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Not offhand.

I think you misunderstand me. I was trying to say that with the same lens, a larger sensor will support more resolution (in MP) than a small sensor. IE say you have a fantastic lens that resolves 2400 lp/mm. If you built a sensor around that lens you'd want to match that lp/mm for best results from what you said about AA filters. The APS-C sensor would of course end up with more resolution. (Alot of other things would change like FOV, etc)
But smaller lenses with smaller image circles will always have better resolution for the same "quality" of glass. Its not magic just optics. If you are 3X closer to the sensor you have 3X the resolution, or if your field of view is less for the same distance you can make simpler lenses with less spherical correction and better resolution. Its almost impossible to match digicam resolution on an SLR lens at the longer registration distance.

I agree there is little point in going much above 12MP for 1/1.8" sensors, but similarly the real advantage of the larger formats is noise at high ISO and DR, not resolution. I would say a 24MP sony will only have slightly better resolution than the K20D. Optics limits ALL formats in resolution terms.

03-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Here you go - A20 vs K10D!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Every time you need The results will be worth the wait, I'm sure.
Ideally, same effective 35mm length and same subject. For both, a 20% full size and 100% crop, please (and not telling us which is which...)

And this is not meant to be another "why bigger is better" thread. Please hurry back to the corresponding FF threads, please
OK, here is the full pic - I have cropped it and desaturated it so you cant match it to the crops and guess which are which but you can see where the crops are from.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/94480323.UFcy38dR.whole.jpg

Cameras were at F3.5/F3.1 and ISO100. The K10D was developed in Photolab in bright mode with sharpening +1 to match the A30, and colour balanced as well. Levels were applied to the A30 shot to even up the exposures. The clouds were moving fast so there are differences but I think you will agree the A30 did quite well. No NR was applied to either camera. Guess which 4 crops are the A20.....

Last edited by *isteve; 03-21-2008 at 05:52 PM.
03-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
But smaller lenses with smaller image circles will always have better resolution for the same "quality" of glass. Its not magic just optics. If you are 3X closer to the sensor you have 3X the resolution, or if your field of view is less for the same distance you can make simpler lenses with less spherical correction and better resolution. Its almost impossible to match digicam resolution on an SLR lens at the longer registration distance.

I agree there is little point in going much above 12MP for 1/1.8" sensors, but similarly the real advantage of the larger formats is noise at high ISO and DR, not resolution. I would say a 24MP sony will only have slightly better resolution than the K20D. Optics limits ALL formats in resolution terms.
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your explanation.

I also like to be able to use the best part of a lens, on my K10. I wouldn’t mind a FF camera from Pentax, this would make it possible for me to buy even more FF lenses for use with my cropped sensor.

Phil from DPr wrote about one of the cons of the Canon Eos 5D :
“Edge softness / falloff / chromatic aberrations, needs good lenses”

And regarding cropped sensor and the Nikon D2X :
“The advantage of only using the 'sweet spot' area of the lens is clear, full size 35 mm sensors may have long been the dream of the digital photographer but they do place much bigger demands on the lens.”

Rangefinder cameras appear have even bigger trouble with vignette than the FF DSLR. Leica seem to have gone to great lengths in the M8, to try and get beyond this limitation. And may still be struggling with it.

A 1.33 crop Pentax cam could be interesting. But with the already fine High Iso performance in the K20, and good resolution, for me I see little need for a FF cam.
03-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Can people see this or not?

I have heard that my comparison of the K10D and A30 was not visible so I have just added in some links this time.

I have re-included the two shots - one of the full frame in B&W and one of 4 100% crops from each camera - 4 from the Pentax Optio A30 at F3.1 and 4 from the K10D with the 24-90mm F3.5 - 4.5 at 28mm and F3.5. Both ISO100

I colour matched and sharpened the two to make them look similar - this is a resolution test after all.
Full frame B&W

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/94480323.UFcy38dR.whole.jpg

100% crops

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/94480326.j26OpJBq.100percent.jpg

03-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I have heard that my comparison of the K10D and A30 was not visible so I have just added in some links this time.
Hi Steve,

we still can't see those, we get "You don't have permission to access /o6/89/257389/1/94480326.j26OpJBq.100percent.jpg on this server." instead.

Send my a PM if you want me to upload them on my own server (livis.de).

Also, in your previous post, you have use terms A20 and A30. I guess, the A20s are just spelling errors.
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
A 1.33 crop Pentax cam could be interesting. But with the already fine High Iso performance in the K20, and good resolution, for me I see little need for a FF cam.
I think a square format digital that fits inside the crop image circle could be interesting....
03-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi Steve,

we still can't see those, we get "You don't have permission to access /o6/89/257389/1/94480326.j26OpJBq.100percent.jpg on this server." instead.

Send my a PM if you want me to upload them on my own server (livis.de).

Also, in your previous post, you have use terms A20 and A30. I guess, the A20s are just spelling errors.
You have a mail...
03-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thread continues here

Steve did a great job in doing the comparison for us!

He has posted his comparison here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/23686-10mp-shootou...s-digicam.html