Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would seem odd to me that Ricoh would make a FF GXR module or even really expand on the concept at all.

It makes a degree of sense but no more so than a m/4/3 camera. Being able to swap sensor sizes is a nice idea but why not use the larger sensor all the time? The size isn't radically larger because the GXR core body is the same. And the cost of the modules is just too high - like buying another camera, so why not just buy another camera....

The Q7 competes with the GXR to a certain extent as well - in the sense that it's a flexible (because of interchangeable lenses) small, and compact camera.

07-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, exactly that, but with a larger sensor and a Pentax price.
Maybe just put a K mount and a penta-prism on th Ricoh GR? Make it look a bit like the Super-A, which would be around the same size, and call it the Super-5, as the Ricoh GR and the K-5 are vaguely similar in specs?
07-09-2013, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
It would seem odd to me that Ricoh would make a FF GXR module or even really expand on the concept at all.
Although I said enthusiastically that the GXR K-mount version would be fine (considering close relationship with the Pentax brand), in reality, only an M-mount FF GXR makes sense. Because only solution to use M lenses natively in 135 format is buying a very expensive Leica camera. Every other GXR option, in my opinion, is a waste of time and resurces.

However, it would be much better for Ricoh, if they want to stick with compacts as they allegedly said, that they create more GR-style cameras, with an FF sensor too. A Sony RX-1 answer from Ricoh, and cheaper too?

Yes, please, bring it on! Such advanced compacts can attract users across different systems, without alienating them with some strange camera design philosophies and perceptions that they are buying into a new mount or something.

It has to be straightforward but sophisticated compact camera, that kicks some serious image quality and speed too.
07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Although I said enthusiastically that the GXR K-mount version would be fine (considering close relationship with the Pentax brand), in reality, only an M-mount FF GXR makes sense. Because only solution to use M lenses natively in 135 format is buying a very expensive Leica camera. Every other GXR option, in my opinion, is a waste of time and resurces.
+1 But there are non-expensive Voigtlander lenses.

The Ricoh's representatives said that K-mount module couldn't be made for GXR because of flange focal distance of K-mount.

Last edited by doghunter; 07-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.
07-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot see another modular sensor camera.

I could see the GR being APS-C, and GXR moved to FF, the "X" being the "Xtra large" sensor.

This would be Pentax's mirrorless and FF entry with EVF and reverse compatibility to K-mount, an ILC. Adpaters for other mounts.

It's a longshot, but possible and feasible. The question is will there be a Sony sensor such as that found in the RX1.

We're talking at $2,500 body, still. Cheaper is not really possible here. Sorry folks, those sensors and logicboard systems start at $700.
07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Just to rustle up the feathers, how about a totally new mount for FF? Make it purpose made to have modular adapters to enable AF for a vas array of lenses. Super small updates of the FA ltds for the reduced register distance.
That's not a DSLR. So no OVF or mirror. You're now looking at an EVF or just rear LCD shooting. I am not sure Ricoh/Pentax has the tech to pull off such an EVF.

K-mount is SLR. A new mount is feasible and Fuji has pulled it off, but they never had a legacy mount in any case. Fuji's last DSLR was a Nikon mount.

Sensor cost is the real issue. An FF sensor and supporting components starts at the price of a complete K-50.
07-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That's not a DSLR. So no OVF or mirror. You're now looking at an EVF or just rear LCD shooting. I am not sure Ricoh/Pentax has the tech to pull off such an EVF.
Ricoh already has an optional EVF for the GXR available. I've even heard it's quite good too. So, I can't see why they can't improve upon it, and/or build it into a sleek SLR shaped MILC.

07-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

However, it would be much better for Ricoh, if they want to stick with compacts as they allegedly said, that they create more GR-style cameras, with an FF sensor too. A Sony RX-1 answer from Ricoh, and cheaper too?

Yes, please, bring it on! Such advanced compacts can attract users across different systems, without alienating them with some strange camera design philosophies and perceptions that they are buying into a new mount or something.

It has to be straightforward but sophisticated compact camera, that kicks some serious image quality and speed too.
Yes a GXR FF compact would make sense and fall in line with what one might expect from Ricoh.
07-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

K-mount is SLR. A new mount is feasible and Fuji has pulled it off, but they never had a legacy mount in any case. Fuji's last DSLR was a Nikon mount.

Sensor cost is the real issue. An FF sensor and supporting components starts at the price of a complete K-50.
As has already been said Ricoh's own EVF is at least decent - although that's now getting on a bit and it's quite possible more modern EVFs have eclipsed it. However, depending upon how much Ricoh is willing to invest in a high-end GXR successor/replacement they may be able to buy a third part EVF.

Competitors such as Panasonic and Sony may be prepared to licence their technology if Ricoh can afford what they might ask. Alternative do Epson still manufacture/research EVFs? I think they used to be quite active in this area a while ago. I don't know if other display manufacturers such as LG, Sharp and Samsung also make EVFs....
07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Yes a GXR FF compact would make sense and fall in line with what one might expect from Ricoh.
Of course - is Ricoh waiting for SONY to top them once again ?

- K-01 could have been FF and the concept should be invested
- GXR as well.

This would for sure give an aura to both labels, and offer a first step for mouning Pentaxian FF wannabes.
07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
Banned

It's absurd to produce GXR FF camera instead of K-mount FF DSLR or mirrorless FF camera with K-mount.
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by doghunter Quote
It's absurd to produce GXR FF camera instead of K-mount FF DSLR or mirrorless FF camera with K-mount.
Unless Ricoh cannot see enough market share in FF DSLR's and needs to produce a product that will expand their market.
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #43
Banned

Don't Feed the Trolls

Last edited by Blue; 07-09-2013 at 01:25 PM.
07-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like the Olympus OM-D?

It's shaped like a DSLR to accommodate the EVF along the central access and for ergonomics, and it is mirrorless being an m43.

It's also quite expensive,especially relative to sensor size. Lovely camera, but not very good AF for the price IMO.
Or the Samsung NX20. The third mirrorless manufacturer to market and the first with APS-C. Admittedly no FF size sensors, but have everything else needed.
07-25-2013, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #45
Inactive Account

I would be 100% ok with a FF M-mount, just have a full function K mount adapter for it and we're good to go!
A great system to use all kinds of lenses on and if you do want to use some excellent AF lenses you can use Pentax!