Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
This is reported in Photo Rumors. Does anyone have any inkling if there's any substance in it?

Rumors about a new Ricoh GXR camera surface online | Photo Rumors
Maybe they're going to release it in some pretty colors.

07-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Of course. Silly me.
K-mount is FF crippled by Pentax and their inept marketing and sales reps.
GXR camera is tiny, K-mount FF lensor will be very big. It will be funny.
07-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how far I believe this rumour, but the GXR is a very well made camera. I think there are some interesting possibilities with the mount rail design. They've only scratched the surface with the units they've launched so far.

Imagine if you owned 2 bodies - a small one like the existing GXR and another one with a big grip, battery and a high quality EVF, feeling like a DSLR. And then you had a selection of K-mount units, one with a 16mp sensor and a very high frame rate and great video, one with very high resolution but not as fast and another black and white one, like the Leica monochrome model. They could offer FF and APS-C, Q-mount, and continue offering M-mount. There are many possibilities. And of course you have your selection of K-mount lenses.

This would be like building your own camera each time you go out to shoot. "Today I want to go out and shoot B&W in a small camera with my DA21." You could also upgrade the sensor unit quite easily and it would not be stuck in one body.
07-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't our ex-member with the Blog-that-shall-not-be-named have a post about some Korean intoxicated businessman claiming (RE: FF), "There will be tears in Pentaxland come fall"?

07-08-2013, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

The only current GXR offering that makes any sense (to me) is the A12 M Mount. Why fuse a lens to a sensor? It destroys the whole idea of "interchangeable lenses".
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Didn't our ex-member with the Blog-that-shall-not-be-named have a post about some Korean intoxicated businessman claiming (RE: FF), "There will be tears in Pentaxland come fall"?
Don't know about RH, but someone with a low post count said something like that a couple months back, saying their tipsy source was "reliable".

And of course, I can trust anyone who says their anonymous source is "reliable", just like I can trust those emails from Nigeria that say "this is not a scam".

Or the other emails regarding certain pharmaceuticals, that say "this stuff really works!".
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In the world over-saturated with ever cheaper APS-C mirrorless system cameras that become worthless before they even start shipping, only a GXR with an FF sensor makes sense. In K mount and M mount versions.
Then it has a chance to be noticed, stand out, shift perceptions, and be relevant in the future too.
+1

Something like that would be OK for me, especially if FF sensor inside

07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't know how far I believe this rumour, but the GXR is a very well made camera. I think there are some interesting possibilities with the mount rail design. They've only scratched the surface with the units they've launched so far.

Imagine if you owned 2 bodies - a small one like the existing GXR and another one with a big grip, battery and a high quality EVF, feeling like a DSLR. And then you had a selection of K-mount units, one with a 16mp sensor and a very high frame rate and great video, one with very high resolution but not as fast and another black and white one, like the Leica monochrome model. They could offer FF and APS-C, Q-mount, and continue offering M-mount. There are many possibilities. And of course you have your selection of K-mount lenses.

This would be like building your own camera each time you go out to shoot. "Today I want to go out and shoot B&W in a small camera with my DA21." You could also upgrade the sensor unit quite easily and it would not be stuck in one body.
+1

I very much like the idea of an SLR shaped high end mirrorless. None of the manufactures has done that yet. I would already love if it just had a K-mount. But being able to swap the mounts with their sensors would be absolute magic.

This would be smart for Ricoh too. Imagine the aftermarket possibilities. No longer just selling lenses to users that bought the body, but also mountors, and maybe even exchangeable EVF's.
07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
Banned

What it means "there will be tears..."?

Tears only? Out of exhilaration?

Or tears with agonising screams?

07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Even more tears? Or just the current tears continuing and accumulating?

It's true though, if Pentax doesn't market a killer flagship camera soon, there certainly will be tears.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-09-2013 at 02:14 AM.
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I very much like the idea of an SLR shaped high end mirrorless. None of the manufactures has done that yet.
Like the Olympus OM-D?

It's shaped like a DSLR to accommodate the EVF along the central access and for ergonomics, and it is mirrorless being an m43.

It's also quite expensive,especially relative to sensor size. Lovely camera, but not very good AF for the price IMO.
07-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As a former GXR owner, a GXR body unit with a built in viewfinder would be a nice upgrade. Hard to know what to think of their plans for a future GXR, though. Their M mount unit sold pretty well from what I understand, so I could see them building on that success, more likely with the 16 mp no AA filter APS-C sensor approach again than a FF sensor, but who knows what they are planning.
07-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The only way I can see that making any sense is Pentax sticking to APS-C DSLRs and all the rest, including FF and all the goodies, is Ricoh's. However, since that would slowly though surely mean the demise of Pentax as first high-end then other users drifted away, I'm not sure it makes any sense at all. Pentax has few enough users as it is, without upsetting the ones who buy all the lenses. Unless Ricoh's motive in buying Pentax wasn't to make something of Pentax but was to sort out Ricoh's own camera operation by, effectively, buying a fix in the form of turnover and expertise - something I've long suspected. But that is another story. Pass the sake please.
07-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Just to rustle up the feathers, how about a totally new mount for FF? Make it purpose made to have modular adapters to enable AF for a vas array of lenses. Super small updates of the FA ltds for the reduced register distance.
07-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Like the Olympus OM-D?

It's shaped like a DSLR to accommodate the EVF along the central access and for ergonomics, and it is mirrorless being an m43.

It's also quite expensive,especially relative to sensor size. Lovely camera, but not very good AF for the price IMO.
Yes, exactly that, but with a larger sensor and a Pentax price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Just to rustle up the feathers, how about a totally new mount for FF? Make it purpose made to have modular adapters to enable AF for a vas array of lenses. Super small updates of the FA ltds for the reduced register distance.
That would only make sense if it would actually solve an issue with the current K-mount. People here keep telling me that K-mount fully supports an FF sensor with IBIS. (I still don't believe them though.)