Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paperware AF360FGZ II

Six months ago, the "new" AF360FGZ II was shown at Photokina. Wow, a 12 year old model revamped. But now there still has been no sign of it.

What's going on at Pentax? First they weren't able to make real new products, now it seems they are even having difficulties with the re-release of a 12 year old product.

Does anybody have any information on this?

07-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Six months ago, the "new" AF360FGZ II was shown at Photokina. Wow, a 12 year old model revamped. But now there still has been no sign of it.

What's going on at Pentax? First they weren't able to make real new products, now it seems they are even having difficulties with the re-release of a 12 year old product.

Does anybody have any information on this?
Also waiting for the new lenses on the road map... maybe they'll all be announced with the presumed K-3 camera in a couple of months from now?
07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not to mention the wait for the new Pentax tele-convertor...
07-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I highlight these issues throughout my posts, folks accuse me of being a "gloomer", as a "doom and gloom" person. Hardly. I've been noticing problems since Ricoh took over.

I think Ricoh is having a very tough time integrating Pentax. Since the dawn of Pentax DSLRs, they've had a very efficient product line, and produced cameras based in production runs. The Optio lines were different from the DSLR cameras as they we more flexible.

I think Ricoh, while good in their other lines of businesses, is not doing well with Pentax.

Ricoh could also be too "hands-on" and are trying to touch all aspects of the Pentax pipeline and are causing delays because they are exerting control over processes they feel they need to control.

I think the term is "Micro-manage" and that usually causes engineers and other seasoned folks to get angry or find new employment.

As a Japanese company we will never know the internal struggles, but since Ricoh took over, all I have seen is the Hoya pipeline being squeezed to irrelevance.

07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Banned

Sorry to disappoint your gloom; new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
And what else? Sounds like a big product launch is on the horizon.
07-12-2013, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Sorry to disappoint your gloom; new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
Fantastic! ...But it's just hot air until there are any sources or at least an explanation.

07-12-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Fantastic! ...But it's just hot air until there are any sources or at least an explanation.
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

Like maybe a "Third Camera Brand" in the intermediate term.
07-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

That's some mighty positive thinking!
07-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Quiet before the Noise?

Is that a prediction or your wish list?
07-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My turn to report the obvious: Pentax/Ricoh have made it very clear that they do not want to leak product announcements gradually over a period of months. Or even weeks, if things go well.

Monochrome's "Quiet before the Noise" comment makes sense. Can we be certain that it applies here? Please see the first sentence in this post.
07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Not at all.
Uluru' he knows everything...
07-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
My turn to report the obvious: Pentax/Ricoh have made it very clear that they do not want to leak product announcements gradually over a period of months. Or even weeks, if things go well.

Monochrome's "Quiet before the Noise" comment makes sense. Can we be certain that it applies here? Please see the first sentence in this post.
Some Pentaxians get very upset if Pentax doesn't release products acccording to what they feel is the right schedule .

We just had a not so small release not that long ago .
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Quiet before the Noise?

Incredibly positive vides! Thumbs up for sure, even if I disagree, I wish it were so!
07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey now! Pentax just rolled out a new name change. What more do you want. The summer interns who run the R&D department are probably swamped right now.