Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Paperware AF360FGZ II

Six months ago, the "new" AF360FGZ II was shown at Photokina. Wow, a 12 year old model revamped. But now there still has been no sign of it.

What's going on at Pentax? First they weren't able to make real new products, now it seems they are even having difficulties with the re-release of a 12 year old product.

Does anybody have any information on this?

07-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Six months ago, the "new" AF360FGZ II was shown at Photokina. Wow, a 12 year old model revamped. But now there still has been no sign of it.

What's going on at Pentax? First they weren't able to make real new products, now it seems they are even having difficulties with the re-release of a 12 year old product.

Does anybody have any information on this?
Also waiting for the new lenses on the road map... maybe they'll all be announced with the presumed K-3 camera in a couple of months from now?
07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
Not to mention the wait for the new Pentax tele-convertor...
07-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
When I highlight these issues throughout my posts, folks accuse me of being a "gloomer", as a "doom and gloom" person. Hardly. I've been noticing problems since Ricoh took over.

I think Ricoh is having a very tough time integrating Pentax. Since the dawn of Pentax DSLRs, they've had a very efficient product line, and produced cameras based in production runs. The Optio lines were different from the DSLR cameras as they we more flexible.

I think Ricoh, while good in their other lines of businesses, is not doing well with Pentax.

Ricoh could also be too "hands-on" and are trying to touch all aspects of the Pentax pipeline and are causing delays because they are exerting control over processes they feel they need to control.

I think the term is "Micro-manage" and that usually causes engineers and other seasoned folks to get angry or find new employment.

As a Japanese company we will never know the internal struggles, but since Ricoh took over, all I have seen is the Hoya pipeline being squeezed to irrelevance.

07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
Sorry to disappoint your gloom; new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
And what else? Sounds like a big product launch is on the horizon.
07-12-2013, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Sorry to disappoint your gloom; new 360 flash is ready and coming next month together with TC.
Fantastic! ...But it's just hot air until there are any sources or at least an explanation.
07-12-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,489
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Fantastic! ...But it's just hot air until there are any sources or at least an explanation.
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

Like maybe a "Third Camera Brand" in the intermediate term.

07-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

Like maybe a "Third Camera Brand" in the intermediate term.
That's some mighty positive thinking!
07-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

Like maybe a "Third Camera Brand" in the intermediate term.
Is that a prediction or your wish list?
07-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
My turn to report the obvious: Pentax/Ricoh have made it very clear that they do not want to leak product announcements gradually over a period of months. Or even weeks, if things go well.

Monochrome's "Quiet before the Noise" comment makes sense. Can we be certain that it applies here? Please see the first sentence in this post.
07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
Not at all.
Uluru' he knows everything...
07-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 376
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
My turn to report the obvious: Pentax/Ricoh have made it very clear that they do not want to leak product announcements gradually over a period of months. Or even weeks, if things go well.

Monochrome's "Quiet before the Noise" comment makes sense. Can we be certain that it applies here? Please see the first sentence in this post.
Some Pentaxians get very upset if Pentax doesn't release products acccording to what they feel is the right schedule .

We just had a not so small release not that long ago .
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quiet before the Noise?

The vacuum of Pentax news feels to me as if they're preparing to "Shock and Awe" the market quite soon.

By that I mean carpet bomb the market with new products, upgrades, surprises, changes, marketing, Distribution Agreements - everything a modern camera company should do - and force Pentax onto the front pages of DPR, Pop Photo, DPI and everywhere else, week after week after week. And keep doing that, year after year, product layer after product layer, until Pentax is once again a household name.

Like maybe a "Third Camera Brand" in the intermediate term.
Incredibly positive vides! Thumbs up for sure, even if I disagree, I wish it were so!
07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,415
Hey now! Pentax just rolled out a new name change. What more do you want. The summer interns who run the R&D department are probably swamped right now.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af360fgz, ii, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax af360fgz northofpolaris Sold Items 3 05-21-2013 05:00 AM
Any news on the AF360FGZ II? JJJPhoto Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 03-13-2013 04:05 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF360FGZ flash mmzymxf Sold Items 2 08-10-2011 06:03 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF360FGZ flash deejjjaaaa Sold Items 2 08-01-2011 09:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top