Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Sigma filling the gap

Hi Everyone,

Looks like my local Sigma rep was right about Sigma wanting to fill the "gaps" on the Pentax lens road map.

Sigma just announced a new 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. I can't wait to see when we can get our hands of one and what the price is going to be.

You can check out the original article here

03-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Talbot Quote
Hi Everyone,

Looks like my local Sigma rep was right about Sigma wanting to fill the "gaps" on the Pentax lens road map.

Sigma just announced a new 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. I can't wait to see when we can get our hands of one and what the price is going to be.

You can check out the original article here
how is 50/1.4 a gap? they have a DA* 55/1.4 on the map.
03-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How exactly is sigma's 50mm different from the FA 50mm f/1.4?
03-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
the FA (i think) is discntued and is not a digital lens

03-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #5

Sure he isn't the local Sigma rep?
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
The FA 50mm f/1.4 hasn't been in production since 2004 and can be a pain to acquire.

Honestly, if they can produce one that is equal to the Pentax and be close to the price point, I think they'll have a winner on their hands. However if Pentax resumes production of the FA 50mm, then I'd snatch one up instead.

EDIT: I assume that the HSM on the Sigma will be quieter (if that is an issue, I don't know), but should be faster (at least in theory)

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
how is 50/1.4 a gap? they have a DA* 55/1.4 on the map.
Hi OniFactor,

I didn't notice the 55 on the map, sorry about that, but has Pentax even announced a release date (not that Sigma has either) or potential price point? As I'm just starting out I can't really justify the cost of some of the DA* glass, and I'm hoping that the Sigma will be close to the Pentax FA 50mm for quality and price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Sure he isn't the local Sigma rep?
A warm welcome to you too Talisker

Last edited by Talbot; 03-19-2008 at 01:56 PM.
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Sigma, however, is a Full Frame lens.

If the Pentax 55 on the roadmap is APS-only (like most of what they have on the roadmap), than this lens would fill a hole in terms of ability to cross-use with film bodies (and, hopefully, Pentax FF dSLR bodies). It's a "DG" not a "DC" ("DC" being Sigma's APS-C only lenses).

03-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

when you think about it, how many pentax users are clamoring for more long lenses? I think sigma has an excellent opportunity to grab some market share here.

Talbot, B&H has the FA 50 instock right now. I got mine at christmas without any trouble. While they may have ceased production, they seem to have a good inventory built up.
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
when you think about it, how many pentax users are clamoring for more long lenses? I think sigma has an excellent opportunity to grab some market share here.

Talbot, B&H has the FA 50 instock right now. I got mine at christmas without any trouble. While they may have ceased production, they seem to have a good inventory built up.
Hey claw,

I might just order from them, I prefer to buy locally, but I might order just so I can get one.
03-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hey claw,

I might just order from them, I prefer to buy locally, but I might order just so I can get one.
The Camera Store in Calgary had some a couple weeks ago for under 200. I'm pretty sure they still do.

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
If the Pentax 55 on the roadmap is APS-only (like most of what they have on the roadmap), than this lens would fill a hole in terms of ability to cross-use with film bodies (and, hopefully, Pentax FF dSLR bodies). It's a "DG" not a "DC" ("DC" being Sigma's APS-C only lenses).
I'd be very curious to learn if it was APS-C or not (the 55) I know the new 200 is FF compatible, but I had wondered if that was as a result of carrying over their existing 200mm formula into a new package, or if it was intentional. As a few more of the new lenses emerge (particularly the DA*30 and 55) I think we'll learn more on Pentax intentions re a FF body for sometime in the predicatable future.
03-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey claw,

Some people have had problems with them, but they are generally very good. I've never had a problem with them.
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hopefully it will have less curvature of field, and a similar good bokeh. We also will get the benefit of a quick ring motor, rather than a plastic gear mechanism or micro motor.

What is the projected price?
03-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The Camera Store in Calgary had some a couple weeks ago for under 200. I'm pretty sure they still do.
WOOT Calgary!!

I'm in The Camera Store pretty regularly, I get almost all my gear from them and they tend to have great service. I haven't been in for a few weeks, but they didn't have any in stock and didn't know if they would get anymore.

I'll phone them and see if I can get my hands on one.

EDIT:

So I walked over to The Camera Store and talked to the guys there, but no glass for me and no new stock in sight. On a lark I decided to go over to Vistek. Asked the guy there if they happened to have a 50 mm f/1.4, not expecting anything more than a laugh, but sure enough he had one left

For those that are looking, he said that their system did have 5 listed as on order.

Last edited by Talbot; 03-20-2008 at 05:17 PM.
03-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

congrats. Enjoy the lens, it's a fun little guy.
03-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The FA 50mm f/1.4 hasn't been in production since 2004 and can be a pain to acquire.
Are you sure about this?

I remember the 50mm being in short supply in mid-2005, and I ordered mine in the fall of '05 when it was out of stock and received it a few weeks later when it came in (from B&H I think but I don't remember for sure.) After that, it seemed to be in ample supply all through 2006 and 2007. That seems kind of strange to have a shortage in '05 but not '06 and '07 if the lens was discontinued in '04.

B&H and Adorama have it in stock now, even Beach Camera has it in stock. If Pentax stopped it in '04, they must have been sitting on an enormous pile of them for stock to have lasted this long! Look at how quickly the K100D and K100D Super sold out when they were discontinued.

I can't see the Sigma being a success in the Pentax mount, I'd be very, very surprised to see it producing better optical quality, and also very surprised to see it sell for less than $200.