Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by msalicat Quote
I recently attended a photography workshop where the lecturer said he had heard from a supplier that Pentax will no longer be making SLR's and will be changing everything to mirrorless and suggested that I change brands. Is this true? I am looking at buying the K5IIs as an additional camera as I have the K7 (which is my 3rd Pentax camera). Should I now switch brands or should I stay with Pentax? Switching brands is an expensive exercise.
Why would a change to mirrorless force you (or anyone) to switch brands? I seriously doubt such an advise would come from any knowledgable lecturer.

07-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently attended a photography workshop where the lecturer said he had heard from a supplier that Pentax will no longer be making SLR's and will be changing everything to mirrorless and suggested that I change brands. Is this true? I am looking at buying the K5IIs as an additional camera as I have the K7 (which is my 3rd Pentax camera). Should I now switch brands or should I stay with Pentax? Switching brands is an expensive exercise.
|
:
In face of just announced K50 and K500, both of which have a 100% view pentaprism, and considering those cameras will be on the market for at least 2 more years, that 100% of Pentax K-mount lenses are designed to work best with an SLR camera concept, what do you think?

Last edited by Uluru; 07-17-2013 at 05:32 AM.
07-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If it's been discontinued where is the problem is licensing its manufacture by another company? Is Pentax leaving the telescope field?
Yeah, that was 4 years or so ago.
They no longer make them.
07-17-2013, 04:19 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Some people will say or do anything to appear knowledgeable when in front of a group.

07-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Either the lecturer or the supplier is a liar.
07-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

For anyone stumbling into this thread and curious about what might appear to be a new 100mm f3.8 lens: it's from a telescope company and follows the custom of stating the aperture rather than the focal length. A "100mm f3.8 telescope" = "380mm f3.8 lens".
07-17-2013, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Some people will say or do anything to appear knowledgeable when in front of a group.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Either the lecturer or the supplier is a liar.
Or the lecturer has a referral deal with a merchant that features one of the erstwhile "surviving" SLR brands.

Follow the money. Always follow the money.

(Which, BTW, also applies to Ricoh's plans for Pentax).

07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've just had the idea come over me in the last several weeks that it feels like Ricoh is cleaning up dead assets all over Pentax - warehouse stock, return items stock from Denver to KEH, K-01 and Q Fire Sales, K-x batteries as giveaways with Q packages on New Egg (I got one of those and sold it here) . . . . anything of value.

<snip>
In other words, running Pentax as if it were a real business.
07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
In other words, running Pentax as if it were a real business.
Got it in one (and I think you are first). Rather than feel threatened we should hope this means Ricoh is committed to the "third camera brand in the itnermediate term" statement, believes that includes a multi-tier line-up, and they're taking the necessary actions at the outset to build their long-term franchise.

I'm researching the history of building Ricoh for some thematic clues as to how they might build Pentax.
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Hope? They already started building that multi-tier line-up

One thing I'm somewhat wary about is Ricoh imposing their own, different vision onto "Pentax", instead of naturally developing what they have. Like Sony, who made the jump from Minolta's photographic tools to electronic goods.
But I don't see any signs of this happening, on the contrary Ricoh appears a traditionalist company, pretty conservative and valuing their customers.
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One thing I'm somewhat wary about is Ricoh imposing their own, different vision onto "Pentax", instead of naturally developing what they have. Like Sony, who made the jump from Minolta's photographic tools to electronic goods. But I don't see any signs of this happening, on the contrary Ricoh appears a traditionalist company, pretty conservative and valuing their customers.
Sony does not own the Minolta name. Ricoh owns the Pentax name for Cameras. That single, critical difference may be the contrast between Sony and Ricoh.
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sony does not own the Minolta name. Ricoh owns the Pentax name for Cameras. That single, critical difference may be the contrast between Sony and Ricoh.
|

I was guessing that same thing, but I couldn't confirm whether Sony was given right for Minolta's brand name. Thus it seems Sony has gotten only all of Minolta's photography related technology and patents and the ownership over the A-mount.
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why would a change to mirrorless force you (or anyone) to switch brands? I seriously doubt such an advise would come from any knowledgable lecturer.
|
Well, the teacher uses .. what camera equipment? And he or she "is not by any mean supported" by them, or does not get some incentive?
Yeah, right ...
I see all the same, rotten things in traditional arts teaching classes: teachers advocate certain paper types and paints and brushes given to them by their sponsors, although there are many others equally as good, if not quite better art materials. Or even worse: they use that sponsored advice for classes, but choose something entirely else for their own leisure. I've seen that too.
07-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
|

I was guessing that same thing, but I couldn't confirm whether Sony was given right for Minolta's brand name. Thus it seems Sony has gotten only all of Minolta's photography related technology and patents and the ownership over the A-mount.
Konica Minolta did not sell the name, here's the press release (or story from it) I remember pretty well because I had a Minolta Dimage Z-2, a nice superzoom P&S at the time. I think Konica and Minolta had merged a short time before this.
07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Konica Minolta did not sell the name, here's the press release (or story from it) I remember pretty well because I had a Minolta Dimage Z-2, a nice superzoom P&S at the time. I think Konica and Minolta had merged a short time before this.
That explains a lot. I remember reading statements from Sony's managers, Sony was interested to buy Nikon firsthand, but then decided to get all the patents and the SLR mount from Minolta. To develop their own camera systems and experiments for the future, I'd guess. Buying certain tech makes it all much easier to innovate on top of it, and gain certain momentum in the beginning.

If they had decided to buy the whole Nikon, they'd need to act as stewards of the well known and prospering brand, keep the brand name and its promise in the future. Knowing Sony's history, they are incapable of that — their ego and vanity are just too big for it.