Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

While this camera may be of interest to a few people, but why is this thread posted in the "Pentax News and Rumors" forum?

Seriously, I hope the mods can clean up this forum, as it has become a Pentax and non-Pentax general talk forum. Can we please keep non-Pentax related posts off this forum?

03-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Then this name was spread also to the German tank crews, because in one document film i saw lately one tank commander said that they called them "ronson" too. If this name came from english advertisement slogan, its origin obviously is in Allied side.

Shermans had gasoline engine (not diesel as almost every other armoured vehicle) and not so thick armour, so they light up every time Tigers hit them... Shermans were capable to fight against Tigers only because of their numbers. It simply wasnt possible to destroy all of them before some achieve the very short effective firing distance against main German tanks.
I'm sure it's quite possible that the Germans picked up on the infamous monikor for the Sherman. Contrary to popular belief, however, diesel powered armoured fighting vehicles were pretty well restricted to the Russians. (The movie "Patton" suggests otherwise, but is simply inaccurate.) The Germans insisted on petrol (gasoline), not wanting the telltale smoke that diesels tended to produce. They were however better armored (particularly their later Panther and Tiger models) than the Sherman. Later versions of the Sherman had some improvements to deal with this unfavorable tendency, including additional applique armor over vulnerable spots and so-called "wet" ammunition storage that encased rounds with liquid filled racks to reduce the propensity for them to be ignited when hit. Never a match in quality, as you said, but in quantity second to none (about 50,000 made).

At some point I'll have to dig up and scan my negatives from print film shots I took of some of these machines (from both sides) at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds back in the '80s with my Pentax K1000. (And with that have we qualified as being OT for "PentaxForums?" lol)
03-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
While this camera may be of interest to a few people, but why is this thread posted in the "Pentax News and Rumors" forum?

Seriously, I hope the mods can clean up this forum, as it has become a Pentax and non-Pentax general talk forum. Can we please keep non-Pentax related posts off this forum?
Perhaps because although there may be some that would like to pretend that competition does not exist (and that Pentax should not have to be compared with it), it does, and it is relevant to what Pentax is going to end up being measured by in relative terms?
03-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used the sherman because the roundness of the grip reminds me of how the shermans looked Yes, they weren't the best out there, but that's history now.

I've heard that the aviation industry has a saying- 'If it looks right, it flies right.' I know that applying that cameras is an apples and oranges comparison, but I have to wonder. The EOS 1 series looks pretty darn mean.

03-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
As for the camera, I'm glad Sony is introducing it, and hope their range of lenses for it continue to expand and more downward price pressure is exerted on FF dSLRs, not to mention more pressure for Pentax to introduce one of their own.

I've got a great idea for a Pentax marketing coup; come out with your own FF dSLR, and reverse engineer both Nikon and Canon lens mounts, and introduce all three (K mount, Nikon AF and Canon AF) together, so you can have your Pentax camera body features and anybody's lenses you want!
I guess you're kidding since that would mean you need an adapter to use the current K-mount lens. And Pentax would have to come up with a new native mount. Too much effort for too little benefit since I doubt that many out there would settle with stop down metering/total manually control their lenses.

Back to the Sony FF. Rumor/speculation has it that Sony will release two type of FF: the high and low MP one. If they really do, I think they would really strengthen the Sony/Minolta users base. The possibility of converting some other brands' shooters would be likely as well since now they have can a SR FF. Admittedly, for zooms, the current offer from Sony is quite limited. However, for primes, Sony already covered all the useful range (from 20-200). As for the price of the lens, I don't think they're more expensive than the Canikon's counterparts. I would say similar or slightly lower.
03-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Sony is rolling out so many models that it will lead (if it hasn't already done so) to buyer confusion as to which model to buy. With specification overlap, the distinction between amateur, enthusiast and pro models becomes blurred and it will eventually lead to a situation like mobile phones where functionality among models remains more or less similar but for some slight differences.

It might be a good strategy to excite the market and cause more people to look towards Sony but it will mean more stock keeping units in their distribution channels. Might not be a problem for a big company like Sony but it is a strategy that Pentax probably cannot follow. Certainly it shows Sony's determination to make an impact on the DSLR market.
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Never a match in quality, as you said, but in quantity second to none (about 50,000 made).
there were much more T34s built
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Perhaps because although there may be some that would like to pretend that competition does not exist (and that Pentax should not have to be compared with it), it does, and it is relevant to what Pentax is going to end up being measured by in relative terms?
This is the "Pentax News and Rumors" forum, not "Pentax's competition or competitors" forum.
So if this thread qualifies as "Pentax News and Rumors", then I suppose anything under sun related to photography would qualify as well. Then what's the point having specific sub-forum categories?

03-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, it was American GIs (tankers in particular) that called their Shermans "Ronsons," as a sarcastic reference to the old advertisement slogan - "Lights Up Every Time." (Ronsons, for those who are scratching their heads, are cigarette lighters.)
But not the Canadian Shermans that were powered by two GM 6-71 diesels.
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Not true; they built about 40,000 T34s during WWII, a huge number, to be sure, but about 10,000 fewer than the Sherman.
03-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
But not the Canadian Shermans that were powered by two GM 6-71 diesels.
Yes, M4A2s; they might still light up via ammunition being detonated though

They had lots of different engines, the original being an air cooled radial, and the last variant (M4A4) an engine cobbed together from 5 Chrysler automobile engines.
03-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
List of tanks WW1, WW2, Modern
52000 vs 58000........ according to this.
03-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This is the "Pentax News and Rumors" forum, not "Pentax's competition or competitors" forum.
So if this thread qualifies as "Pentax News and Rumors", then I suppose anything under sun related to photography would qualify as well. Then what's the point having specific sub-forum categories?
the reason i posted it here was to see what sort of stimulated conversation on Pentax's future FF body could be produced.
03-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
the reason i posted it here was to see what sort of stimulated conversation on Pentax's future FF body could be produced.
Well... now you know... apparently, it's more interesting to talk about war machinery....
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol.. such is what happens when you get boys and their toys together...

sadly, i don't know much about ground force machinery.. i know more about the air. lol