Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

sony's showing off mockups of their flagship DSLR...

and pentax better catch up.

【PIE2008】ソニー、フルサイズフラッグシップ機を展示

03-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

with as many people that complain about accidently tripping the shutter on the pentax grip, do we really need more buttons? But honestly, the pentax grip is about $120ish, looks like I could buy a backup body for what I assume that thing is gonna cost. Maybe if pentax released an 'advanced' model with more controls for those who need it, but the grip we have now has enough for most people it seems. I haven't seen any complaints on the forum other than an AF button on the grip. Just my 2 cents
03-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #3

The grip is very similar to the one that comes with the A700, and costs around $250. It really is one of the best designed grips and duplicates almost every button you would need in portrait mode. Sony has also had a bunch of promotions where they are "giving away" the grip with the A700. That said, I have never really used a grip with any camera (let alone the A700), so I really don't know what is and what is not useful in a grip :/
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy cow! Is it busy enough? Where do you actually hold the camera, and how do you do it without pushing half a dozen buttons? I'm sure it's going to be a powerful camera, but I won't feel any pull to that camp.

03-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
The grip is very similar to the one that comes with the A700, and costs around $250.
Does that include Sony Tax™?

It's a good grip. The more buttons, the merrier, I say. But what grips like these need is a "Hold" button, like on any portable CD player, that stops any buttons on the grip from working when you don't want them.

Hell, you could even rig it up to the tilt sensor that orients the photos into portrait mode.
03-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
But what grips like these need is a "Hold" button...
I remember the grip for the 350D had an on/off button. There really is no excuse NOT to have such a function on a vertical grip.
03-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well... Like all Sony's until now I find it ugly (compared to the well thought over design of our Pentaxes) and it looks to me like an ergonomic nightmare... Way too many buttons...

Sony fans are welcome to it...

Wim

03-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well... Like all Sony's until now I find it ugly (compared to the well thought over design of our Pentaxes) and it looks to me like an ergonomic nightmare... Way too many buttons...

Wim
Well it would sure be the camera I would pick to bludgeon my way into a press conference, stop a truck rolling down a steep hill, or give me a hernia, but I cannot see myself actually using one to take pictures....

I hope Pentax DONT waste time on such hopeless excess and make cameras that people can actually afford and use every day.
03-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This reminds me of the Nikon F4. Why does a professional camera NEED to be bulky and big? Surely they can make a professional camera in a much smaller package?
03-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

catch up to what, pro-market?

it's ugly IMO,

i think it's hard to cram a lot of stuff accessible via buttons on a small package.....
03-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
This reminds me of the Nikon F4. Why does a professional camera NEED to be bulky and big? Surely they can make a professional camera in a much smaller package?
There are professionals (who use whatever camera works for them and may own several for different jobs) and then there are professional cameras (which are used by people who want to convince everyone they are professional ).

This looks like a Sony A700 that went to a "pimp my camera" garage and got blinged out. Unfortunately its more of a Lexus than a Jaguar. All spec sheet and no style.

Its almost funny if they werent really serious about it.
03-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
... Lexus than a Jaguar. ....
Definition of Sony right there pretty much. They tend to cram as many gizmos into something while not adding any quality, hence why I hate just about everything Sony makes.

That said, that camera is pretty impressive looking IMO, and in this case I like having the control of the extra buttons.
03-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is one of the ugliest cameras I have EVER seen!!!
03-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Does that include Sony Tax?

It's a good grip. The more buttons, the merrier, I say. But what grips like these need is a "Hold" button, like on any portable CD player, that stops any buttons on the grip from working when you don't want them.

Hell, you could even rig it up to the tilt sensor that orients the photos into portrait mode.
they've got that in everywhere but the EU (EU nickel ban prevents their hand sensors from being installed on the units). also the hold switch is a turn knob on the right side there, so it's not going to get knocked about on accident, either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Wim
it's not so many buttons, as so many labels for the multiple features of the buttons that are there. i only count 7 buttons on the back, not including the jog dial, 3 position switch for metering modes, and SR switch. they're positions are just duplicated in the grip

Well it would sure be the camera I would pick to bludgeon my way into a press conference, stop a truck rolling down a steep hill, or give me a hernia, but I cannot see myself actually using one to take pictures....

I hope Pentax DONT waste time on such hopeless excess and make cameras that people can actually afford and use every day.
i'm not sure how much it's going to cost, but i'm sure it'll be fairly reasonable. it'll be meant to contend with pro segment cameras, D3, 1Ds, stuff like that, it's not marketed to entry level consumers.. their 3 entry level SLRs are (the 200, 300, 350)

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
it's going to be full frame, i think, and that's also a small asian woman's hands on it, so it's kind of misleading on size, i should've pointed that out.

There are professionals (who use whatever camera works for them and may own several for different jobs) and then there are professional cameras (which are used by people who want to convince everyone they are professional ).

This looks like a Sony A700 that went to a "pimp my camera" garage and got blinged out. Unfortunately its more of a Lexus than a Jaguar. All spec sheet and no style.

Its almost funny if they werent really serious about it.
actually, i quite think this camera is going to be all that the spec sheets make it out to be. i don't know if you've used an A700, but the UI is as smooth as butter, the ergonomics are decent (they've got minolta blood in them, so they better be!), and.. well.. they've got the money to throw at getting it perfect in R&D.
03-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The Sony line puzzles me... They make an ok entry level (a100-200) an awful midrange (a700) and now an ugly beast of a camera in this mockup.

Has anyone tried to shoot the A700? You can't see the AF points when you switch them because they are so tiny, the UI is ok, but too hard to figure out how to switch the essentials like AF points and base modes. The noise reduction CANNOT be turned off and makes the images look like water colors from ISO 3200 and above. Not too mention its AF is fast but very inaccurate in low-light unless you only use the center point, which is pointless for what I shoot.

This beast of a camera has only one camera in it's competition and thats the Canon 5D and with the lack of any reasonably priced full frame lenses I don't see how this camera will succeed. You'd have to buy only the Zeiss stuff to compete with Canon and thats only a handful of lenses. Sure it has what 22MP, but at what cost? I think that Sony really has to make a perfect sensor for this to sway any pros to the Sony camp because the 5D, 1Ds series and Nikon D3 are perfectly proven full-frame cameras with a large assortment of lenses and abilities.

Pentax does not need something like this, but rather an above the K20D model with same sensor but further refinements and feature sets. Make the camera functional and people will shoot it. Make the camera look like a computer and the tech geeks will buy it cause it says Sony and fills their lust for buttons.

BTW, I can see why no other sony has a top LCD... that thing looks like crap and a half.