Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
That is one FUGLY piece of machinery.
Hell yeah!

But shouldn't we be more concerned about its IQ? After all, it's a photo forum, not a design one....

Wouldn't this ugly baby come more or less directly in competition with the future (?) K1D?

03-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Nice looking Toy....

Ben
03-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #48
Kim

I must say that as much as I like my K10D I'd really prefer a "buttons for everything" approach of the UI. I'd like to see the Fn button go and see dedicated buttons for the functions behind it.

To me that Sony looks brilliant, but I'm not going to switch.
03-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want the transparent version. Afterall, the only part of a DSLR that needs to be light tight is the optical path. There could be all kinds of flashy blinky lights in the body that could be programmed to pulse in fun patterns while you shoot. Kewl...

LOL

03-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I am certain that the FF Sony will find some converts. If the price and IQ is right, Canon and Nikon studio pros may either switch or purchase a small system, i.e. a couple of lenses and body to start. I still think the larger the sensor the greater potential of IQ improvement.

Just my 50 cents worth (Inflation)

Ben
03-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I dunno... there's just something about the triangular shape of the viewfinder that doesn't quite work for me. It also doesn't scream out 'solid build' like the EOS 1 series. You have to admit, looking at those things is like looking at a sherman tank.
Sherman? do you know how Germans called them? ronson.... guess why..
03-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #52

This a900 is FF? and it has shake reduction or whatever Sony calls it?

Havent we read lot of posts claiming that it is not possible to make an FF with in-body SR with existing bayonets and only FF circle capable lenses? Obviously all these "experts" have been wrong then...

03-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
This a900 is FF? and it has shake reduction or whatever Sony calls it?

Havent we read lot of posts claiming that it is not possible to make an FF with in-body SR with existing bayonets and only FF circle capable lenses? Obviously all these "experts" have been wrong then...
yup.

sony had it down, like.. half a year ago.
03-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Sherman? do you know how Germans called them? ronson.... guess why..
Actually, it was American GIs (tankers in particular) that called their Shermans "Ronsons," as a sarcastic reference to the old advertisement slogan - "Lights Up Every Time." (Ronsons, for those who are scratching their heads, are cigarette lighters.)
03-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #55
Veteran Member

As for the camera, I'm glad Sony is introducing it, and hope their range of lenses for it continue to expand and more downward price pressure is exerted on FF dSLRs, not to mention more pressure for Pentax to introduce one of their own.

I've got a great idea for a Pentax marketing coup; come out with your own FF dSLR, and reverse engineer both Nikon and Canon lens mounts, and introduce all three (K mount, Nikon AF and Canon AF) together, so you can have your Pentax camera body features and anybody's lenses you want!
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Actually, it was American GIs (tankers in particular) that called their Shermans "Ronsons," as a sarcastic reference to the old advertisement slogan - "Lights Up Every Time." (Ronsons, for those who are scratching their heads, are cigarette lighters.)
Then this name was spread also to the German tank crews, because in one document film i saw lately one tank commander said that they called them "ronson" too. If this name came from english advertisement slogan, its origin obviously is in Allied side.

Shermans had gasoline engine (not diesel as almost every other armoured vehicle) and not so thick armour, so they light up every time Tigers hit them... Shermans were capable to fight against Tigers only because of their numbers. It simply wasnt possible to destroy all of them before some achieve the very short effective firing distance against main German tanks.
03-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #57
Inactive Account

lol101's right. Screw aesthetics - if it's aimed at pros, then I'm sure the last thing they'd care about is how it looks.

Form-over-function arguments get boring really quickly.
03-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #58

Most of very functional machines and gadgets have usually been also beautiful... very seldom straight forward ugly ones have been functional. So these function over form arguments are not only boring but nonsense ...
03-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #59
Not Registered

IMO the uglier the better. Nobody will remember a semi-ugly item but a real ugly-ugly camera will be remembered forever. I have some collector items that I really cherish just because they were the ugliest duck of the bunch (none of them cost several thousend dollars though)
03-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
IMO the uglier the better. Nobody will remember a semi-ugly item but a real ugly-ugly camera will be remembered forever. I have some collector items that I really cherish just because they were the ugliest duck of the bunch (none of them cost several thousend dollars though)
Also:

You won't get mugged on the streets, because the huge camera you're carrying is absolutely hideous. Makes for cheaper insurance.