Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #346
Banned




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 423
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ok Poit, now we have it confirmed: during Melbourne Photo Expo in 2 weeks from now, we shall see a bleak, boring Pentax booth, same as damn three years ago, even with same cameras! I have also heard new Limiteds are coming to Oz in a month, so they won't be there either. Flashes too.
All this confirms how Ricoh is "handling the Pentax just the right way." Just as that sales rep said

But I'll explore Fuji's and Oly's booths thoroughly, and photo book publishing. Nikon and Canon don't interest me. Hopefully there'll be some film enthusiasts!
As a relative newbie to the experience of Pentax-land hype I'm as disappointed, if not more so, than everyone else.

Having said that, the sales chap I spoke to never mentioned 5 September or IFA, my post never mentioned 5 September or IFA, and we only became interested in that particular date when others (yourself included) said it was the day to watch

So, I still think there is an extremely good chance of new camera/s by Christmas. When will they be announced? I don't know. Who knows, maybe the 'biggest photography exhibition in the Southern Hemisphere' is the unlikely stage upon which they will be revealed...(Adam posted yesterday about new camera announcements being 'weeks away'...sounds like a good basis for a new rumour ).

In the meantime, I have two weddings to shoot in the coming weeks, so time to fire up the K20D and K10D and concentrate on taking photos. Enough of this obsessing already!

09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #347
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
Poit.
I shoot weddings with the same gear. But on my last wedding I had the most stress of any wedding ever.....
it was DARK. and the K20d simply could not keep up with artistic ambition. It could not focus well, and when that happens, you know the quality of picture goes out the window. I hate shooting just flash.....
Anyway, I want to see what comes after the K-5II BADLY!!!! For the first time I felt the equipment was really holding me back.
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #348
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 168
This press conference is of so little interest, this site isn't even reporting on it. Oh how I miss the edge of your seat days of new lens cap announcements.
09-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #349
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,393
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I want to see what comes after the K-5II
Just go with the K-5II. The AF improvements, especially in very low light, sound like 'just what the doctor ordered' for you.

09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #350
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bizkaia, Basque Country
Posts: 39
Messages from one of the admins of spanish site 'pentaxeros.com'. This guy is not a troll.

Pagina 8 - Pasado ma

"This next week i'll have a K3 prototype (...)This is just the beginning of a great year, you'll see."

Pagina 8 - Pasado ma

"Im sorry, i can't [tell anything]. If i'd say anything i'd be banned as a tester. The only thing i can tell you is that is going to be a success, and that the focus system is new"
09-05-2013, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #351
Veteran Member
froeschle's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 552
QuoteQuote:
This next week i'll have a K3 prototype
I did hear a very similar statement after last Photokina .
Now, I am a nonbeliever.
Does this thing finally - as promised - feature an aperture coupler?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200075-pentax-rico...-petition.html
Or even better - a FF sensor (APS-C might already be outdated)?
Mirrorless? Camera sales history from 2011 till today. Mirrorless hype is over. DSLR rules.

09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #352
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
As a relative newbie to the experience of Pentax-land hype I'm as disappointed, if not more so, than everyone else.

Having said that, the sales chap I spoke to never mentioned 5 September or IFA, my post never mentioned 5 September or IFA, and we only became interested in that particular date when others (yourself included) said it was the day to watch

So, I still think there is an extremely good chance of new camera/s by Christmas. When will they be announced? I don't know. Who knows, maybe the 'biggest photography exhibition in the Southern Hemisphere' is the unlikely stage upon which they will be revealed...(Adam posted yesterday about new camera announcements being 'weeks away'...sounds like a good basis for a new rumour ).

In the meantime, I have two weddings to shoot in the coming weeks, so time to fire up the K20D and K10D and concentrate on taking photos. Enough of this obsessing already!
I hoped that Sept 5 may be some planed introduction that precedes all other photography shows, and that by some chance in Melbourne Photo Expo, New York Photo Plus, then Photo Expo in France, we may see fruits of combined labour, available to wider audience.

But no. Southern hemisphere expos matter as yesterdays snow, there's no way they'll use it for anything. Ricoh isn't exhibiting in New York, not sure about France, but sounds more like a Melbourne chance.

This somewhat confirms my fears that any kind of development, for any new kind of cameras, started some merely 10 months ago. And that maybe, we'll see something new in the 2014 — towards mid 2014 — which will depend on economy, wider circumstances, etc.

In the meantime, let see what others do! Have fun with your K20!
09-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #353
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,817
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
This somewhat confirms my fears that any kind of development, for any new kind of cameras, started some merely 10 months ago. And that maybe, we'll see something new in the 2014 — towards mid 2014 — which will depend on economy, wider circumstances, etc.
You're wrong.

By the way, what should be targeted is not some photo show, but shopping seasons. Now, when is the closest one?

09-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #354
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You're wrong.

By the way, what should be targeted is not some photo show, but shopping seasons. Now, when is the closest one?
I think it does confirm the 12 month cycle of a product update development. If camera is ready for Xmas shopping, then the development started as I suspected, not at all in summer 2012, or spring 2012, etc. In most part of 2012, they didn't do anything, practically speaking.
09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #355
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,817
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think it does confirm the 12 month cycle of a product update development. If camera is ready for Xmas shopping, then the development started as I suspected, not at all in summer 2012, or spring 2012, etc. In most part of 2012, they didn't do anything, practically speaking.
The 12 month development cycle is a supposition, it's not confirmed by anything. Rumors says the advanced APS-C was supposed to be launched earlier this year, but for reasons unknown (? - issues with the sensor were cited) it was postponed.
Anyway, you were saying something about mid-2014...
09-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #356
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The 12 month development cycle is a supposition, it's not confirmed by anything. Rumors says the advanced APS-C was supposed to be launched earlier this year, but for reasons unknown (? - issues with the sensor were cited) it was postponed.
Anyway, you were saying something about mid-2014...
The other minute I read someone "is testing the K-3" People are rightfully joking now.
Of course there was no any pro DSLR 'postponed' because there was no pro DSLR in the first place. People invent rumors. If anything was ready, it would've been announced so far.

Just use any current date, and wind the clock back some 10-12 months back to see when that thing started to take shape — in case of a progressive update. In case of really new tech, or leap like the GR 5, wind back the clock 18-24 months.

For the future new tech leap, I suspect mid 2014 based on observation that even during Fotokina 2012 they didn't know for sure where to go and what to do.

What we could see before mid 2014, is an APS-C DSLR of some kind. Or the new Q. Or an MX update. A rehash of some lenses, something based on GR, etc.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.
09-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,910
I think this goes to show Ricoh is a company who will not let anything out of the bag until they are good and ready. I now expect an "out of the blue" announcement, rather than at a show, a la Apple.

I still think something is coming very soon - as I don't think they can afford to miss the Christmas market without something fresh.
09-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #358
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I think this goes to show Ricoh is a company who will not let anything out of the bag until they are good and ready. I now expect an "out of the blue" announcement, rather than at a show, a la Apple.

I still think something is coming very soon - as I don't think they can afford to miss the Christmas market without something fresh.
I tell you what, even Burger Kings, if they've acquired Pentax in 2011, could deliver something fresh for the late 2013 / early 2014.
The fact they can make only by then, tells they are incapable handling the consumer oriented brand. All their behaviour shown regarding Pentax products is ruled by the b2b book of behaviour.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #359
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,317
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
For the future new tech leap, I suspect mid 2014 based on observation that even during Fotokina 2012 they didn't know for sure where to go and what to do. .
I find it amazing that you know that they didn't know where to go. I must assume that you work in their management cause thats only way you could know.
I find it equally amazing that a company like Ricoh would buy a camera manufacturer without a plan.
BTW the developing time for a DSLR is typically 1,5 years; probably more if lots of new stuff goes into it.
09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,928
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I find it equally amazing that a company like Ricoh would buy a camera manufacturer without a plan.
I don't. Happens all the time.

They see assets, and current customers may or may not be assets.

They may be liabilities.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, check, christmas, discussion, future, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plans, releases
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Woe's with new Camera Stevizzy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Photokina 2012: Leica presents its new S medium format camera jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-21-2012 01:45 AM
Machinery Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride Sailor Post Your Photos! 29 02-04-2012 11:29 AM
Misc A New Christmas Camera . . . . . Sailor Post Your Photos! 18 01-01-2011 06:52 AM
Pentax's Third new camera..... New Distribution Channel interested_observer Pentax News and Rumors 50 09-30-2010 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top