Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #361

Photos: Albums
I would be pretty shocked if pentax didnt release some sort of refresh using that toshiba or even sony 24mp sensor. In general use it may not be that great of a difference over the K5, but i think they are missing a lot of potential sales to nikon D7100 or even the D5200 when compared against the K500/K5.

On paper i kinda want the D5200 but when i hold that camera in my hand i just dont like it. I really hope pentax releases a new camera so i can find someone to part with their K5 iis cheap :-)

09-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I will wait before I get a Pentax camera. I want to see what comes out before I get a K5iis.
09-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #363
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
As long as Ricoh's not announcing that they have sold the Pentax brand to Burger King, I should be fine and happy!
Why? The cameras are starting to have happy meal coloring and the little primes would make wonderful prizes in the big kid happy meals.
09-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #364
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Even in film days, 35mm was considered to be perfect wide-normal.
This post is a bit stale, but I will respond anyway. Having been alive back-in-the-day, I can confidently say that the 35mm focal length was considered a moderate wide-angle, not a wide normal. 40mm-45mm was a wide normal and the norm for fixed-lens rangefinder cams as a result.

That does not mean that 35mm is not a sweet focal length. It is my favorite focal length for my rangefinder cameras and I frequently use it on my film SLRs. Wide enough for use in tight spaces and long enough to isolate the subject. Short enough to support generous DOF at moderate apertures and often fairly compact. What is there not to like? Oh, yeah...almost forgot...a little too wide for portraits, unless, of course, you like duck face. Many of the vintage 35s also suffer from barrel distortion and vignette.

Back to beating the drum for a new K-mount 24mm...It might be a good idea...

Steve

09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #365
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Back to beating the drum for a new K-mount 24mm...It might be a good idea...
If the DA21 was a DA24 of any kind, Pentax's offer for APS-C would be significantly differently accepted.
It would put people's mind to rest, they wouldn't think twice about it.
But like this, it is called brand mismanagement, in which a brand allows doubts and insecurities to creep in potential user's mind. All eccentricities must then be silenced, and common sense used.
With a DA24, even a DA15 would have much more sense. But today, many people are buying either one, or the other instead of both.
09-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If the DA21 was a DA24 of any kind, Pentax's offer for APS-C would be significantly differently accepted.
It would put people's mind to rest, they wouldn't think twice about it.
But like this, it is called brand mismanagement, in which a brand allows doubts and insecurities to creep in potential user's mind. All eccentricities must then be silenced, and common sense used.
With a DA24, even a DA15 would have much more sense. But today, many people are buying either one, or the other instead of both.
Oh, please, Uluru, stop this BS.
09-05-2013, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've bought neither since I have no use for either of them.. who would've thought that was possible.

09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #368
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Poit.
I shoot weddings with the same gear. But on my last wedding I had the most stress of any wedding ever.....
it was DARK. and the K20d simply could not keep up with artistic ambition. It could not focus well, and when that happens, you know the quality of picture goes out the window. I hate shooting just flash.....
Anyway, I want to see what comes after the K-5II BADLY!!!! For the first time I felt the equipment was really holding me back.
Hi Steelski.

I have the same experience / problem with the K20d. In low light (either evenings or receptions) autofocus can be a real battle, I don't have confidence in the result I am going to get, and high ISO images are too noisy to consider using. I don't enjoy using the K20d for weddings, because I have to think about the camera when I should be thinking about more important things.

As someone else said, the K5ii seems to have resolved a lot (if not all) of those problems, but I still don't think it meets all requirements for a true professional system (one obvious example, no back-up memory card slot). I'm going to wait and see what the next release is, and if it doesn't meet my needs I'll have to jump ship (after 15 years using Pentax). Most probably a Nikon D800.

09-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The 12 month development cycle is a supposition, it's not confirmed by anything. (...)
K10D / K20D / K-7 / K-5 were launched according to a 16-month cycle (September 13th, 2006 / January 23rd, 2008 / May 20th, 2009 / September 20th, 2010), which should more or less correspond then to the development cycle of a high-end APS-C camera.
09-06-2013, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K10D / K20D / K-7 / K-5 were launched according to a 16-month cycle (September 13th, 2006 / January 23rd, 2008 / May 20th, 2009 / September 20th, 2010), which should more or less correspond then to the development cycle of a high-end APS-C camera.
I can see a detoriation here: While the K-5 was based on the K-7, the K-5 II came after 24 months, not 16, and was a minor upgrade compared to K-7 -> K-5.

I'm pretty sure there has been a K-3 in the works for a long time, and that it was supposed to be released at the same time as the K-5 II. It was delayed or scrapped possibly because it used the 24mp sensor of the NEX-7 and that they concluded it didn't offer enough of an IQ advantage over the K-5 (or maybe it even behaved badly with some of the premium Pentax lenses). The pressure in the direction of FF would require them to deliver an APS-C camera that really was a significant upgrade, not just a maybe-better camera with higher resolution. If this was the case, the K-5 II(s) was a very smart move, after all the K-5 IIs gets a lot of praise and sells better than they expected.
09-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #371
Pentaxian

If they do what they did with K-7 / 645D, the soon-to-be-announced high-end APS-C camera should share a lot of components with the ever-rumoured-never-seen-yet 24x36 camera, including a body larger than that of the K-7 / K-5 (II)(s) to accommodate a larger sensor, larger heat dissipaters, etc.

The 24x36 camera would then be developed and produced at marginal cost, helping it to be profitable in spite of low sales projections.
09-06-2013, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #372
Veteran Member

Well, looking over the other side of the fence, neither Canon nor Nikon has launched anything that would have stolen any thunder from Ricoh's fabled K3!

Besides, Nikon forums are all up in arms about Nikon's apparent lack of innovation, lackluster releases and all. I will not be surprised that over at the Canon side, the criticisms over Canon's sensors have gone on unabated. The only thing that differentiates the CaNikon forums from the Pentaxforums is the webpage background!

09-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #373

What about the D7100, D600, or the D800 ? Those steal a lot of thunder if you ask me...
09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
What about the D7100, D600, or the D800 ? Those steal a lot of thunder if you ask me...
K-5II has better autofocus than the D7100 and nearly the same dynamic rage as the D600 and D800. Capable cameras, but nothing to be envious of. All the hand wringing ignores the fact the K-5II is still a class leader and a very good value.
09-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #375
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
K-5II has better autofocus than the D7100 and nearly the same dynamic rage as the D600 and D800. Capable cameras, but nothing to be envious of. All the hand wringing ignores the fact the K-5II is still a class leader and a very good value.
No one is ignoring the fact that K5II is a value.
But what such implications through " just use a damn tool and stop crying" accusation do, is deliberate ignoring and twisting of the fact that we are not talking about good enough cameras.
We are talking about a more complex situation we are thrown into not by our conscious choice, and an explanation given isn't good enough — it hurts intelligence, and is not up to scratch.