Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #376
bvg
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 272
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
The only thing that differentiates the CaNikon forums from the Pentaxforums is the webpage background!
Should be adjustable (black color on default).

09-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,720
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Should be adjustable (black color on default).
Do you suppose I should finally change from the Red Skin now?
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #378
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,531
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
If they do what they did with K-7 / 645D, the soon-to-be-announced high-end APS-C camera should share a lot of components with the ever-rumoured-never-seen-yet 24x36 camera,
- or, more likely, with the 645D II which has probably been in development for a longer time than the Unicorn Camera
09-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #379
Veteran Member
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No one is ignoring the fact that K5II is a value.
But what such implications through " just use a damn tool and stop crying" accusation do, is deliberate ignoring and twisting of the fact that we are not talking about good enough cameras.
We are talking about a more complex situation we are thrown into not by our conscious choice, and an explanation given isn't good enough it hurts intelligence, and is not up to scratch.

It's "up to scratch" just fine. That's my point by citing dynamic range and autofocus. That said, I'm simply not that emotionally invested in a consumer product to complain. If I had your concerns, I'd just switch brands to something I wanted.

09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #380
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
K-5II has better autofocus than the D7100 and nearly the same dynamic rage as the D600 and D800. Capable cameras, but nothing to be envious of. All the hand wringing ignores the fact the K-5II is still a class leader and a very good value.
The autofocus is up for debate. the K5 has a little better low light autofocus, but the nikon has better tracking focus (sports shooting) Anyrate, were not talking about who has a better camera. we are talking about who is stealing the thunder. Nikon released a bunch of new models that people are getting excited about. Pentax released a k5 II that has the SAME SPECS -- i see tons of people asking whats special about the K5 II

Then tons of people bragging about their 24mp D5200 -- my point is nikon's refresh is a lot more exciting (thunder stealing) I myself am still saving for a K5 IIs, but if the price is about the same i might go for a D7100 too.
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #381
Veteran Member
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
The autofocus is up for debate. the K5 has a little better low light autofocus, but the nikon has better tracking focus (sports shooting) Anyrate, were not talking about who has a better camera. we are talking about who is stealing the thunder. Nikon released a bunch of new models that people are getting excited about. Pentax released a k5 II that has the SAME SPECS -- i see tons of people asking whats special about the K5 II

Then tons of people bragging about their 24mp D5200 -- my point is nikon's refresh is a lot more exciting (thunder stealing) I myself am still saving for a K5 IIs, but if the price is about the same i might go for a D7100 too.



You can only manage your own perceptions. The "buzz" of the Canikon universe is wholly outside of what Pentax is up to. Pentax, Sony, and Olympus have all released some great products over the years, but none of them have ever broken the glass ceiling where the Big 2 live.


If this were about beer, there's no point in being a Spud's MacKenzie fan when the world has moved on to Budweiser Frogs and Coors Silver Bullet trains. It's better to just have a microbrew and be confident, that while a little pricy, you're putting a good beer above marketing.
09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #382
bvg
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 272
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do you suppose I should finally change from the Red Skin now?
I think the dark black color better expresses the current aura of this forum..
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,928
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
Then tons of people bragging about their 24mp D5200 -- my point is nikon's refresh is a lot more exciting (thunder stealing) I myself am still saving for a K5 IIs, but if the price is about the same i might go for a D7100 too.
While the MP race is waning a fair bit it is still relevant. Pentax needs to update their flagship APS-C with 2-24MP's just to stay even. So I expect we'll see that fairly soon.

Other improvements might come with the era LCD, maybe articulating. Maybe the AF incrementally improved. Video codec. CDAF options.

Outside chance of a faster flash sync (would require a new shutter system entirely).

There's not a lot of improvements one can do to a very mature technology like the DSLR.

09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,496
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
Then tons of people bragging about their 24mp D5200
You're concerned because some people are bragging about megapixels?

Not too long ago, Nikon were the ones saying "we are not concerned with megapixel count... image quality is more important". I'd say concerning image quality, Pentax is not lacking.
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #385
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,122
I am not seeing radical improvements in cmos chips at the moment. Progress is incremental. As long as there is not a new technology available you don't need a new camera iq-wise. Maybe an aps-c sized bsi-cmos chip could change that somewhat, but probably not by much, otherwise there would be one allready. The K-3 won't have much better iq than the k-5. A move to full frame on the other hand would be a step forward. Pentax should use this period to perfect AF and develop connectivity options for it's camera's.
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,330
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I can see a detoriation here: While the K-5 was based on the K-7, the K-5 II came after 24 months, not 16, and was a minor upgrade compared to K-7 -> K-5.

I'm pretty sure there has been a K-3 in the works for a long time, and that it was supposed to be released at the same time as the K-5 II. It was delayed or scrapped possibly because it used the 24mp sensor of the NEX-7 and that they concluded it didn't offer enough of an IQ advantage over the K-5 (or maybe it even behaved badly with some of the premium Pentax lenses). The pressure in the direction of FF would require them to deliver an APS-C camera that really was a significant upgrade, not just a maybe-better camera with higher resolution. If this was the case, the K-5 II(s) was a very smart move, after all the K-5 IIs gets a lot of praise and sells better than they expected.
I think we need to be honest and say that the biggest upgrade from the K7 to K5 was the fact that Pentax actually got a current generation sensor from Sony (unusual since there seemed to be embargos on them in the past). Auto focus was the same (or worse in some lighting situations), frame rate increased incrementally. Otherwise, I haven't seen a "game changing camera" from Pentax since the K10. Everything else has been about small improvements in specs -- usually pretty far off the current specs available from Canon/Nikon.
09-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #387
Veteran Member
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we need to be honest and say that the biggest upgrade from the K7 to K5 was the fact that Pentax actually got a current generation sensor from Sony (unusual since there seemed to be embargos on them in the past). Auto focus was the same (or worse in some lighting situations), frame rate increased incrementally. Otherwise, I haven't seen a "game changing camera" from Pentax since the K10. Everything else has been about small improvements in specs -- usually pretty far off the current specs available from Canon/Nikon.


I wouldn't make that assessment. I "upgraded" from a K10D to a K-7. I was so disappointed I nearly sold the system. The K-7 image quality is *vastly* inferior to the K10D at low ISOs. The auto focus was disappointingly unchanged from the K10D and less accurate (in really strange and unpredictable ways), and I couldn't get a clear shot at certain shutter speeds because of the much discussed mirror slap issue. A warranty service fixed none of these issues.

The K-5 has addressed all these issues. Low ISO is almost as good as the K10D, the auto focus is responsive and positive, and the mirror slap blur is gone. It was a major upgrade from the K-7, and the enthusiastic reviews of the K-5 is why I took a chance on upgrading. It's the first Pentax camera I can recommend to people without caveats. Want a camera? Buy a K-5, you'll be happy. That's not something I'd say of its predecessors. K10D had great image quality but lackluster auto focus, poor color balance, and a common back-focus problem. The K-7 has no redeeming qualities of any kind as far as I'm concerned.
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,252
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Should be adjustable (black color on default).
It should be available in 120 colors.
09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,330
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I wouldn't make that assessment. I "upgraded" from a K10D to a K-7. I was so disappointed I nearly sold the system. The K-7 image quality is *vastly* inferior to the K10D at low ISOs. The auto focus was disappointingly unchanged from the K10D and less accurate (in really strange and unpredictable ways), and I couldn't get a clear shot at certain shutter speeds because of the much discussed mirror slap issue. A warranty service fixed none of these issues.

The K-5 has addressed all these issues. Low ISO is almost as good as the K10D, the auto focus is responsive and positive, and the mirror slap blur is gone. It was a major upgrade from the K-7, and the enthusiastic reviews of the K-5 is why I took a chance on upgrading. It's the first Pentax camera I can recommend to people without caveats. Want a camera? Buy a K-5, you'll be happy. That's not something I'd say of its predecessors. K10D had great image quality but lackluster auto focus, poor color balance, and a common back-focus problem. The K-7 has no redeeming qualities of any kind as far as I'm concerned.
I didn't think the K7 was that bad, at least not at low iso. Auto focus (tracking) was better than K10 or, K20. Frame rate was a lot faster than previous cameras. The biggest problem with the K7 was the sensor. There were all sorts of threads going around "Ask Pentax for a K7 body with a Kx sensor" and so on. I think the whole mirror slap thing was more of a problem on some cameras than on others, because I just didn't see it with mine. Anyway, certainly comparing a defective K7 with a new K5 would see a huge difference.
09-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #390
Veteran Member
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I didn't think the K7 was that bad, at least not at low iso. Auto focus (tracking) was better than K10 or, K20. Frame rate was a lot faster than previous cameras. The biggest problem with the K7 was the sensor. There were all sorts of threads going around "Ask Pentax for a K7 body with a Kx sensor" and so on. I think the whole mirror slap thing was more of a problem on some cameras than on others, because I just didn't see it with mine. Anyway, certainly comparing a defective K7 with a new K5 would see a huge difference.
People blamed its "aggressive AA filter." One of the first firmware upgrades was the fine detail adjustment. Whatever the reason, as someone who likes birding it drove me nuts with its inability to take nice crisp photos. Having the shortest life as the flagship camera, I can't help but wonder if it was pushed out a little too soon with known flaws as a stop gap for the K-5. I feel like I paid to be an unwitting beta tester.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, check, christmas, discussion, future, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plans, releases
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Woe's with new Camera Stevizzy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Photokina 2012: Leica presents its new S medium format camera jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-21-2012 01:45 AM
Machinery Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride Sailor Post Your Photos! 29 02-04-2012 11:29 AM
Misc A New Christmas Camera . . . . . Sailor Post Your Photos! 18 01-01-2011 06:52 AM
Pentax's Third new camera..... New Distribution Channel interested_observer Pentax News and Rumors 50 09-30-2010 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top