Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
People blamed its "aggressive AA filter." One of the first firmware upgrades was the fine detail adjustment. Whatever the reason, as someone who likes birding it drove me nuts with its inability to take nice crisp photos. Having the shortest life as the flagship camera, I can't help but wonder if it was pushed out a little too soon with known flaws as a stop gap for the K-5. I feel like I paid to be an unwitting beta tester.
And the K-x, released not long after, had a much superior sensor.

09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-7 Had a Samsung sensor. I think that when Pentax saw what the A Sony could do in the K-x They quickly developed the K-5 which basically is a K-7 with a new sensor and some other improvements. Had they stayed with Samsung Pentax would be dead by now.
09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #393
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You're concerned because some people are bragging about megapixels?

Not too long ago, Nikon were the ones saying "we are not concerned with megapixel count... image quality is more important". I'd say concerning image quality, Pentax is not lacking.
Nikon delivers what is available at the market of sensor tech and gives its users cameras. Users buy and stay with the mount. "Ok, you want FF sensor? Here it is. You want 24 MP ApSC, here it is." In all of this, users experiment with multiple choices, buy different lenses and realise where they want to be, or, where to go.
It is sad to see many Pentax users change system and sell Pentax lenses perfectly capable of higher res APS-C sensors, FF sensors, etc. because they have no cameras to use them with; they were never able to see a bigger picture, the possibility of an existing mount.
And then somebody, like Mr Kawauchi himself, comes in and says their concern is "picture quality not megapixels", while with other hand rewrites all new lens prices, tells us a flat, white lie. What is even worse, that is a very bad excuse for their own procrastination.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
09-06-2013, 03:14 PM - 3 Likes   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Nikon delivers what is available at the market of sensor tech and gives its users cameras. Users buy and stay with the mount. "Ok, you want FF sensor? Here it is. You want 24 MP ApSC, here it is." In all of this, users experiment with multiple choices, buy different lenses and realise where they want to be, or, where to go.
It is sad to see many Pentax users change system and sell Pentax lenses perfectly capable of higher res APS-C sensors, FF sensors, etc. because they have no cameras to use them with; they were never able to see a bigger picture, the possibility of an existing mount.
And then somebody, like Mr Kawauchi himself, comes in and says their concern is "picture quality not megapixels", while with other hand rewrites all new lens prices, tells us a flat, white lie. What is even worse, that is a very bad excuse for their own procrastination.

I don't think it's sad at all. I think it's great, because I get really tired of reading this stuff. If you want 135 format, there are 3 very capable camera systems to choose from. Go get one and be happy. Stop telling people how miserable they should be.

This is not constructive criticism on your part.

09-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #395
Pentaxian

When you think Pentax is holding you back your wrong. But you should sell your gear anyway just to learn that the grass ain't greener.
09-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #396
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
When you think Pentax is holding you back your wrong. But you should sell your gear anyway just to learn that the grass ain't greener.
I simply adore such answers.
I wasn't talking about my gear, and moving on. That is not the point. I was reflecting on a situation — and not trying to apply any forceful answer to it.
09-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #397
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
This is not constructive criticism on your part.
In exploration, the quest is for answers that are simple, but not too simple to be ridiculous. So if I’m not happy with a religious zeal of the sorts floating around, which only is able of an oversimplified “shut up and shoot”, “go on jump ship”, "you're too critical", etc. — it isn’t the issue of my unhappiness with Pentax / Ricoh / my equipment, but with your too simple answering.

I use the opportunity to explore and gain insights from official news, obvious lies, promises, deliveries, all of which tell with what kind of company we may be dealing with.

09-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Urulu, the only religious zeal I see here is from you...
09-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #399
Veteran Member

Looks like the new camera is here. Theta 360......

Now we can start talking about next year.
09-06-2013, 06:18 PM - 3 Likes   #400
Forum Member

perspective

Wading in again with my opinion.

I've shot Canon for decades, got into Nikon a few years ago because I don't like the limitations of Canon's sensors in some situations.
After enough prodding and testing I gave Pentax a try.
Gotta say, my K-5 IIs is my favorite camera right now, much as I still enjoy my d800e.

On my Pentax wish-list is a FF body. Can they pull it off and still provide good SR with the larger heavier sensor carrier?

Also on my Pentax wish-list is more versatile AF. The current system in the k5ii is PDG, especially in low light, but more points and faster overall focusing would put the thing into a better position for action or faster paced shooting that some people would prefer. E.G. The D5200 seems to have a pretty capable AF system for a consumer body.

Metering... I don't know what it is about Pentax metering but it's not like what I'm used to on Canon and Nikon! I find under-exposure is a common issue on all my Pentax bodies and matrix and CWA metering is less predictable than it is on my Nikons or Canons. Perhaps I just need to finally clue in to WHY it produces these different results and learn to accommodate the difference but so far I find myself reshooting and bracketing far more with Pentax than I used to with my other gear.

In the end tho, I really like the results I get from my Pentax gear and that's where the ink meets the canvas.
09-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

Why? There are still 3 full months left of this one. Not that talking would get us anywhere - I'd rather recommend patiently waiting.

I can't understand people mocking the Theta 360. It's an unique product. We knew for years they're working on it, we saw 2 prototypes - with very different shapes, the yo-yo and the mantis bug; the final product looks pretty neat - Apple-style. And it's branded Ricoh - no Pentax brand dilution whatsoever.

Uluru, I'm afraid you're trying to find the clues to support some premade conclusions. But it's all subjective and hair-splitting, like when you consider Kawauchi-san's words as "a flat, white lie"; what's the relation between pixel count and lens prices, anyway?
By the way, it's said Pentax found image quality-related issues with the 24MP sensor they were testing. Nikon's has issues, too...
09-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

Why wait patiently like an idiot for something that may or (more probable) may not come? If another brand has what you need then why not just buy that gear and go out shooting with it instead? Life is way to short.
09-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #403
Veteran Member

Hear, Hear
09-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
While the MP race is waning a fair bit it is still relevant. Pentax needs to update their flagship APS-C with 2-24MP's just to stay even. So I expect we'll see that fairly soon.

Other improvements might come with the era LCD, maybe articulating. Maybe the AF incrementally improved. Video codec. CDAF options.

Outside chance of a faster flash sync (would require a new shutter system entirely).

There's not a lot of improvements one can do to a very mature technology like the DSLR.
I totally agree with your assessment.
09-07-2013, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why wait patiently like an idiot for something that may or (more probable) may not come?
That would be stupid, indeed. Fortunately, there's the option of waiting like an intelligent man