Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Just give me a K-5 derivative with an updated sensor with better ISO and Dr handling (big ask I know) and I'll be a happy camper . I'm saying this as a Pentax K mount supporter and fan who is fairly seriously locked in with my lens selection which includes all of the FA Limiteds, the DA35 limited, as Zeiss 50 macro, a Voightlander 90mm APO and a couple of K's...
S!
Robbie
So, are you a Pentax supporter or are you just locked in? Because being both would indicate a case of Stockholm syndrome or "golden handcuffs", as they call it.

Being locked in is easily solved, just select your least used lens, sell it, and repeat untill you have a very portable kit. If you have a camera with three lenses for it, it suddenly becomes very justifyable to add another system. (...And cherry-pick the best lenses of that second system as well.) At that point, you no longer really care if one of the systems goes down, or doesn't update their tech as much as the other.

Last edited by Clavius; 09-09-2013 at 12:44 AM.
09-09-2013, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
So, are you a Pentax supporter or are you just locked in? Because being both would indicate a case of Stockholm syndrome or "golden handcuffs", as they call it.
You're missing a few alternatives here. A lot of us don't devote a lot of time to brand. Why would anyone be a supporter of a company, that basically wants as much of your money as it can pry from you? Locked in? please... what a bad analogy. Comparing people who have been kidnapped against their will to people who use a particular brand of camera is completely out of line. People buy into Pentax freely, and they can leave whenever they want. The analogy is as insulting as it is meaningless. Like saying someone has been brainwashed. It assume, that there is a value to be gained in changing brands that will be worth the effort and research involved. When in fact it's just as likely that the research is a waste of time, you're going to be happy with any major brand, and your research is just time wasted comparing roughly equal products.

Perhaps selling all your stuff and buying similar stuff from a different company is a waste of time and won't advance your photography one iota. I don't care what you do, or how you choose to spend your time, but claiming people who don't do what you do are victims of stockholm system is a little over the top. YOu need to say what you mean without resorting to vicious cliches.
09-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #453
Veteran Member

so here is the question. How sure are we that a new camera is coming in a few weeks time?

I got a few dollars put aside for lens purchases I would rather put towards a new body, but with the rumor mill being the usual, I keep holding off on getting the lenses. I for some strange reason want to be a first adopter... I am taking a portion of that saved money this Friday to pickup a Q7.... but I was also thinking of grabbing a pair of DA Limiteds at the reduced pricing before the HD's show up (the 35mm and 15mm specifically), and was also going to grab a Go Pro3 Black. But if a new body is coming out.... I'll hold off on the lenses....
09-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
so here is the question. How sure are we that a new camera is coming in a few weeks time?
Heh. Anyone who knows won't say anything and anyone who says doesn't know anything.

09-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh. Anyone who knows won't say anything and anyone who says doesn't know anything.
Exactly.... so go for the lenses I think I might. the question is... Q7, DA 15, DA 35, Go Pro Hero 3.... or Q7 & DA*60-250?
09-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #456
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have no interest in adding a second system. I often carry two bodies and absolutely require them to be able fill in for one another.

I'm very happy with my Pentax system. All I'm missing right now is an SDM capable 1.4X TC for my DA*300mm. I could sell all my Pentax gear and change to Nikon or Canon, but that seems like overkill, especially with the 1.4X back on the roadmap. Aside from the missing TC, I still believe that Pentax is the best overall choice for me. I am very much looking forward to the new APS-C flagship body. I would take this ahead of a FF body, even at the same price.
09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K5IIs on deal, sell the K5, package 1. Do you really need the extra 50 vs. the D800 / 80~200?

But what do I know? You have a rational kit. I have irrational impulse buys .

09-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're missing a few alternatives here. A lot of us don't devote a lot of time to brand. Why would anyone be a supporter of a company, that basically wants as much of your money as it can pry from you? Locked in? please... what a bad analogy. Comparing people who have been kidnapped against their will to people who use a particular brand of camera is completely out of line. People buy into Pentax freely, and they can leave whenever they want. The analogy is as insulting as it is meaningless. Like saying someone has been brainwashed. It assume, that there is a value to be gained in changing brands that will be worth the effort and research involved. When in fact it's just as likely that the research is a waste of time, you're going to be happy with any major brand, and your research is just time wasted comparing roughly equal products.

Perhaps selling all your stuff and buying similar stuff from a different company is a waste of time and won't advance your photography one iota. I don't care what you do, or how you choose to spend your time, but claiming people who don't do what you do are victims of stockholm system is a little over the top. YOu need to say what you mean without resorting to vicious cliches.
Please do remember that I was responding to somebody admitting to be very well locked into the Pentax system due to his collection of K-mount lenses.

Maybe Stockholm Syndrome is over the top, true... Maybe drug addiction is a better analogy? An addict makes a consious decision when taking the first dosages too. But sooner or later, they're unable to back out. And yes, some people have so many gear from just one single brand that it makes the assignment of switching or adding systems become unimaginably huge, costly and unjustifyable. There's plenty around here in PF.

If not for users being locked in due to mount incompatibility, users would have just mounted their FA ltds on any other brand that provided what they wanted ages ago. Nobody here would be crying out for new or other gear as they are doing now.
09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #459
Veteran Member

K5IIs on deal, sell the K5, package 1. Do you really need the extra 50 vs. the D800 / 80~200?

But what do I know? You have a rational kit. I have irrational impulse buys .

so do I with the irrational buys... now you got me thinking about my Nikon kit... sell the Zeiss and 80-200 and buy the 70-200 VRII?
09-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ;2504062:
I think it's like being stuck with a residence that you have spent alot of money on for renovations, but may not suit you so well anymore. It's hard to let go of it due to various reasons, but really you may (or may not) do better if you do so and move. Letting it go isnt as easy as selling a car as you have personally invested money and emotion to this thing that you have enjoyed for some time.

I'm currently undergoing the process of clearing out my pentax gear and while it's not as taxing or expensive as some people say, it's definitely not "free." It hurts putting gear that's given me so many enjoyable images in boxes out to other addresses, and during the time I had both systems' full range of lenses, it was alot of money out of the pocket.

Why am I going out of the topic again? I think I'll stay out of this thread until we have more info
09-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
sell the Zeiss and 80-200 and buy the 70-200 VRII?
You could just buy another guitar.
09-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #462
Veteran Member

You could just buy another guitar.
lol, you know I would but I'm full on guitars right now. literately no more room to store them.... I did buy a new amp tho...
09-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Well, this certainly sheds light on some truly bizzare posts here recently. While I'm interested in where Pentax is headed, reading all the vitriol-laced, ridiculing, demeaning, hate-filled posts just to find a few nuggets of actual relevant information is just not worth it for me.

I'm out.
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe drug addiction is a better analogy?
So the physical withdrawal symptoms of drug addiction are equivalent to what in this analogy?

Some people are never happy with anything, they try one thing then another because to them they are addicted to change, and unable to appreciate what they have. SO are people comparing people who change systems to drug addicts trying stronger drugs?. Are people comparing people with more than one system to polygamous men, or people who cheat on their main squeeze? Analogies can be used both ways.. you seem to favour the ones that cast people who are happy with their Pentax gear in a bad light. I could be happy with Nikon gear or Canon gear. But the luck of the draw has meant I'm happy with Pentax gear. That is not an addiction, or a disease. Until you understand that, your analogies trashing Pentax users will be unwelcome and offensive.
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Please do remember that I was responding to somebody admitting to be very well locked into the Pentax system due to his collection of K-mount lenses.

Maybe Stockholm Syndrome is over the top, true... Maybe drug addiction is a better analogy? An addict makes a consious decision when taking the first dosages too. But sooner or later, they're unable to back out. And yes, some people have so many gear from just one single brand that it makes the assignment of switching or adding systems become unimaginably huge, costly and unjustifyable. There's plenty around here in PF.

If not for users being locked in due to mount incompatibility, users would have just mounted their FA ltds on any other brand that provided what they wanted ages ago. Nobody here would be crying out for new or other gear as they are doing now.
You are never truly locked into a system, because you can sell lenses and move to a different system. But, there is a sense in which there will be a learning curve necessary to do so and some people don't truly need more than what Pentax currently offers and so they stick with what they have. That's not the same as being an "addict." My experience is that people who truly need something that Pentax doesn't offer (longer glass, full frame, fill in the blank) just move on to Nikon or Canon (without extended good bye posts) and put their gear up for sale on the marketplace or elsewhere. Obviously Robbiec is pretty happy with Pentax and with his current stable of glass, he just wants some small changes to the flagship body.