Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #496
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am certain Ricoh won't announce anything new on Photoplus, since they are not even there.
They are not there yet. Not that I care all that much being from far away but there are a number of stands reserved, unoccupied or to be announced still.

09-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
They are not there yet. Not that I care all that much being from far away but there are a number of stands reserved, unoccupied or to be announced still.
I think Adam asked them, and Ricoh Imaging USA officially responded "No, we won't be there".
09-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #498
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
:my yesterday's impression from the Melbourne Photo Show.
Would have been great to meet you and bossa yesterday as we all seem to have been there. What a pity we didn't think to arrange something

I had the impression - mostly from your moniker - that you were from the outback.

We really should do something about getting a Melbourne Pentax group going.
09-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #499
Site Supporter

I think Adam asked them, and Ricoh Imaging USA officially responded "No, we won't be there".
Sad...

09-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #500
Lens Buying Addict

It appears Ricoh doesn't see the value in paying to show wares at Trade Shows. They (hopefully) will do other things with the money.
09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It appears Ricoh doesn't see the value in paying to show wares at Trade Shows. They (hopefully) will do other things with the money.
Another answer would be that they think as Ricoh's CEO has said in April when addressing the shareholders that Ricoh's offer in photography industry is currently weak, and that they are working to make it stronger. Until that happens nothing happens.
09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #502
Lens Buying Addict

Another answer would be that they think as Ricoh's CEO has said in April when addressing the shareholders that Ricoh's offer in photography industry is currently weak, and that they are working to make it stronger. Until that happens nothing happens.
Well that's sort saying the same thing - except it isn't "nothing happens' but "other, more fundamental things happen."

Not helpful if one is in Australia and captive to CRK. At least we have Denver quietly prepping some interesting events for the fall.
09-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #503
Pentaxian

Well that's sort saying the same thing - except it isn't "nothing happens' but "other, more fundamental things happen."
Not helpful if one is in Australia and captive to CRK. At least we have Denver quietly prepping some interesting events for the fall.
:
Well, at least CRK's webstore is not outsourced, and their Pentax and Ricoh deals are delivered promptly and as promised.
Jokes aside, right now, I think it doesn't matter where we are — the real issue is that no one here knows where the Ricoh's eggs are.

09-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #504
Loyal Site Supporter

The GR, perhaps the K-3-equivalent for Ricoh brand, was announced in April and I'm not sure that many people outside Japan knew anything about it. The venue was private, organised by Ricoh and not associated with any show.
I expect a similar, low-profile announcement for anything related to Pentax this year too. Like those new flashes and DA Ltds with red ring.
I take your point about the GR . I fully expect Ricoh to tread a different marketing path to canikony. It can't hurl.

I'm not in the 'full frame or I'm jumping' camp. i happen to be perfectly content with what I believe to be a wonderful piece of engineering in the K- 5 classic. I really don't see how my photography could be Improved by a 35mm sensor.

I do a lot of photo workshops and everyone of them has a roughly 70/30 canon/Nikon turnout (with me as the token 'other'). In reviewing what is submitted by the various contributors to these common shoots I find that what I can produce with my k-5 and some very wonderful lenses is more than a match for people of similar or lesser skills with much more 'vaunted' camera systems. I'm particularly unimpressed with the output of the canon 5dmkII which seems to be an industry standard. The L series lenses seem to me to be far too big and unwieldy compared to say, my fa 77 or 43 or da 55 or the wondrous 50-135. The Nikon lenses are more svelte, but no match for my pentaxes in ergonomics.

The latest example was today's workshop. Some bloke with a 'blah' d7000 thought he was the bees knees. He announced to every body that he had been shooting 'about 2 years', but came to a portrait shoot with a sigma 17 - 70 (the cheap one) and a fast 50 and fast 35mm lens. He proudly announced that he intended to turn 'pro' In the next few months because he had to as he had spent 'so much money' on his gear. The odd thing was he didn't seem know what an f stop was, or how it would effect his image, or what difference a lens length would make to a portrait shoot....etc

My point? It is not always the path well travelled that gets the results. Let Ricoh do whatever they do, sit back and wait. I find it hard to believe that a company as large and successful as Ricoh makes a major purchase like Pentax without some sort of game plan. The most hyped toys are not always the best. I've got a pocketful of lenses that prove it.

But then again, I have a lot of toys.......
09-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #505
Loyal Site Supporter

Does Olympus have a a bigger marketing budget than Ricoh/Pentax? I thought olly was corrupt/broke.

There was a huge and impressive Olympus display where they challenged anyone to pit the output of their camera against an Olympus.( It was well past beer o'clock before I found this out or I would have put them to the k-5 test)
09-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #506
Lens Buying Addict

It is a decision, not a capacity question.
09-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Does Olympus have a a bigger marketing budget than Ricoh/Pentax? I thought olly was corrupt/broke.
There is broke and then there broke..... In the business world being broke doesn't mean the same thing as it does for individuals.

Hoya slashed its R&D budget and fired the top lens designers as was able to show a profit.

Olympus has been investing a lot of money in R&D (AF and 5-axis IBIS) and developing a lot of high quality glass... And laundering money for the Yakuza.

Sony invest $642 million in Olympus..... Ricoh bought the entire Pentax brand/company for $150 million. Olympus as a brand/company is in a much better place than Pentax. Olympus actually has R&D and Marketing.
09-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #508
Pentaxian

I don't remember the $125 million Nikkei estimate ever being confirmed, but it seems it is now the accepted "truth". Oh, well...
Olympus is whole, including a strong medical division (and, like with Hoya and Pentax, that's what Sony's interested in). I agree, they invested quite a lot into the 4/3 and m4/3, but that doesn't makes them healthier. Their 4/3 system, pretty young and marketed a lot, with all its "pro" glass, is now officially dead; and the last IR report is talking about "an increase in operating loss in the Imaging Systems Business".

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-14-2013 at 09:54 AM.
09-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #509
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There is broke and then there broke..... In the business world being broke doesn't mean the same thing as it does for individuals.

Hoya slashed its R&D budget and fired the top lens designers as was able to show a profit.

Olympus has been investing a lot of money in R&D (AF and 5-axis IBIS) and developing a lot of high quality glass... And laundering money for the Yakuza.

Sony invest $642 million in Olympus..... Ricoh bought the entire Pentax brand/company for $150 million. Olympus as a brand/company is in a much better place than Pentax. Olympus actually has R&D and Marketing.
Mmm better have a small business gaining money than a big one with solvency problems IMO.
09-14-2013, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #510
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

Hoya acquired Pentax in 2007 for $1 Billion, including endoscopes. Pentax was already restructuring, having sold eyeglasses and making refinancings, and fending off a initial offer from Hoya and Sparx (Long PF History Post from 12/2006). IMHO Pentax last made a good business decision in about 1968, but that's just my opinion.

Sony's investment is just an equity investment, but makes Sony the largest shareholder in Oly, which includes all the other optical equipment products of Olympus, not just cameras, and forms a new joint venture for medical equipment.

I suspect Hoya very quietly moved younger optical engineers to the medical devices companies, retired the older engineers, then sold Pentax Imaging for $125MM because the ROE was less than 20% - their minimum standard. There remains a Pentax engineering team, and a Ricoh engineering team was merged to it.

There is Ricoh capital and cash flow. Ricoh is conservative, iterative and long-term oriented. Pentax played for the splashy Milestone every five years -- the Hail Mary pass that would save the company. We're not accustomed yet to the change in philosophy.