Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #556
Site Supporter

I hope something gets announced soon. I really want a k5iis or this "full frame" that's supposed to come out.

09-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #557
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed Thomas has posted another good video, that somehow summarises last few years of expectations (especially current moments):

09-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Would have been great to meet you and bossa yesterday as we all seem to have been there. What a pity we didn't think to arrange something

I had the impression - mostly from your moniker - that you were from the outback.

We really should do something about getting a Melbourne Pentax group going.
Cheers mate.. I live in Adelaide but was born in Melbourne... I was thinking of visiting my Dad and trying to catch the show but I'm also a carer for my 83yo mum so it's hard fro me to get around for more than a few hours at a time.
09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #559
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
... How about shutting the lights off in that studio then doing the shoot?
Well, what if our houses are not made to endure a direct impact of the tsunami wave, or an earthquake of the magnitude 10 on a Richter's scale, or a direct impact of the 15 gigatons nuclear bomb explosion?

All products are designed to work well within certain reasonable specs, and within certain tolerances that make common sense. Understanding of them, understanding of the nature of our work and aligning them together, makes one a professional minded photographer — as opposed to a wild-guessing amateur.

In the case of Olympus, what was pointed out is the education of studio photographers and showing them new options. In a studio, a photographer wastes very little energy, keeps all under control, everything is monitored, nothing unpredictable, etc. so for that kind of environment, even a modern m4/3 camera will do the work well and one needs no more than that.

But the problem arises is when newbies to photography start taking extreme scenarios into account, and based on it compile a list for their "required gear"; then most of the time, a rugged FF is the "only way" for them. Then even HD DA Limiteds aren't enough, but must be weather sealed. Kit lenses must be bomb-proof. Camera must be nuclear-fuel powered and one charge enough for 50 years of use. Etc.

All of a sudden, nothing is good enough anymore. It is same as when some paranoid home construction company decides to make all their houses absolutely earthquake-proof, fire-proof, water-proof, etc. Which is ridiculous, of course, because each house would be a bomb shelter house.

Newbies have such an attitude because they have no established line of work, no accumulated experience, and don't know how to control the risk and live with it.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.
09-15-2013, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #560
Forum Member

Dinner with the Rep

Well. If one had dinner with the Pentax Rep tonight and looked at the new toys this coming holiday season. One would be be "full" of quick expectations if you are a Pentax DSLR user. One would not let go of K ff lenses very quickly. Read between the lines. Of course One may have been "spot on" with the timeline of the 645D , but what was is is ?

Last edited by pento57mm; 09-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
09-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #561

Photos: Albums
Well, I do hope those invisible bits you're asking us to read turn out to be TRUTH!
09-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #562

Well.... its not much.... but its something. Although not much as pretty much been the norm up to this point anyway and still no rumors of an articulating screen.... which is the only thing I personally care about.
09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #563
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Well.... its not much.... but its something. Although not much as pretty much been the norm up to this point anyway and still no rumors of an articulating screen.... which is the only thing I personally care about.
Hate to disappoint but that was not seen, again read very carefully between the lines.

09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #564

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
Hate to disappoint but that was not seen
Oh bother.... Well.... guess I'll just have to keep laying on the ground for low level shots and making a fool of myself trying to get back up again... or keep taking faith pictures... aim the camera where I think I want since I can't see through the viewfinder/screen and have faith that I'll get something I can at least salvage in post... at least for a while... Since I don't care about FF at my level of expertise.
09-15-2013, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #565
Forum Member

Well. If one had dinner with the Pentax Rep tonight and looked at the new toys this coming holiday season. One would be be "full" of quick expectations if you are a Pentax DSLR user. One would not let go of K ff lenses very quickly. Read between the lines. Of course One may have been "spot on" with the timeline of the 645D , but what was is is ?
As a new to Pentax shooter I've purchased quite a number of old FF primes and zooms in anticipation so I'm really hoping that, by sometime in 2014, I'll have more than just a box full of sweet FAs.
09-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #566
Pentaxian

what a riddle...I'm stuck on the "spot on" part, though the "full" speak is pretty clear. The last sentence is just trippy... "but what was is is ?"

Thanks for the speculation. I just had the majority of my photography gear stolen, so I'm deciding how long I want to wait to make a new kit...and if I even want to stick with Ricoh...if they're "full" of possibilities, I'll probably hold out.
09-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In the case of Olympus, what was pointed out is the education of studio photographers and showing them new options. In a studio, a photographer wastes very little energy, keeps all under control, everything is monitored, nothing unpredictable, etc. so for that kind of environment, even a modern m4/3 camera will do the work well and one needs no more than that.
Yes, m4/3 companies are very good at making products which are the best... in specific laboratory conditions
09-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, m4/3 companies are very good at making products which are the best... in specific laboratory conditions
That's true for every product. Some are more versatile than others, that's it and Pentax is IMO in a sweet spot on this.
But Canikon have limitations too, so does 43 and so does APS/Pentax too.
09-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #569
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
OK. You pay.
I already gave you free advice
09-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #570
Forum Member

Maybe this puts me at odds with the crowd, but anyway...

The 16 MP sensor is a better sensor than I am photographer.

If "I" was the target of an upgraded camera, it would have, in priority order

1. Dual card slots
2. Remote operation of flash guns (not need to buy pocket wizards or similar)
3. Weather resistant flashes (check)
4. Add to the current DA* line - bits and pieces shooter could get by with every second model and still have a wee bit of overlap (mostly) while die hards might want the lot, a range something like 16-50 (f2.8); 24-80 (f?); 50-150 (f2.8); 60-250 (f4); 120-300 (f4) (I'd see me having second, third and fifth of those myself eventually
5. Spare battery as default with camera
6. Minor ergonomic improvements - swap the mic jack for the left strap attachment point so the strap isn't leaning on the mode dial
7. Minor presentation appeal - the rubber bungs aren't classy