Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well:
- The EM-1 is a dead mouse with no sales to talk about
- I still have to see the FF Nex to be good and selling (Sony is expensive and the FF Nex won't be half the price off the RX-1)
- D610 is a big shame and Nikon should offer all D600 owners a return policy!!!!!!!!!!
- M-series is a dead mouse, no Canon users are wiating for this.

And:
- I also hope for some new Pentax offering.
I can only chime in about D600. Sensor stain reportedly goes away after 3k exposures, certainly is the case with mine. I got a refurb model and it shows sensor stain in the beginning. Blew it with a blower and all is good. Been a month and no stains, crossing my fingers though.

I think D610 is just a model number that guarantees lack of sensor stain. If it has zoom to 100% with ok button I think I'll be pretty mad though! (I assume it will since d7100 has it)

09-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Makes sense, I've said it before and I'll say it again: giving a straightforward "no" is considered not polite in Japanese culture. Smiling or expressions like "maybe", "in future", "some other time" are often used instead. I used to be surrounded by many Japanese colleagues, and such politeness is often misunderstood by westerners. With the interviews at last photokina they hinted at FF too. They confirmed that there is a need and that they're looking into it. That does in no way constitute a Japanese: "Yes, there will certainly be an FF Pentax in 201X." Any other vague comments that don't commit them just mean "no".
How about:
"First, we are discussing development of FF SLR. We are touching base with a sensor manufacturer and proceeding the process of development towards production. [...]
Our long term strategy is towards FF while short term strategy is increasing line-up in APS-C segment. [...]
We are developing towards commercial production and will definitely launch though, it is the matter of whether it makes sense or not for Pentax to produce similar FF SLR to others and slightly smaller & lighter FF Lenses than others. As to time frame, it is under advanced development towards 2013 or later. You can expect that."
Is that a vague comment that don't commit, thus a "no"?
09-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #648
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That does in no way constitute a Japanese: "Yes, there will certainly be an FF Pentax in 201X." Any other vague comments that don't commit them just mean "no".
a voluntary, unprompted statement, made directly to me within the last several months, by a person who not only is in a position to know but actually does know:

"Full Frame is real, but not soon."

The definition of 'soon' was not explained.
09-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #649

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
a voluntary, unprompted statement, made directly to me within the last several months, by a person who not only is in a position to know but actually does know:

Indeed soon can be a relative term. To a mayfly soon is only minutes away.... to a redwood it could be centuries.

09-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #650
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Indeed soon can be a relative term. To a mayfly soon is only minutes away.... to a redwood it could be centuries.

For Pentax user waitinf for it, soon is yesterday
For Pentax itself, it probably is months or years when decision took place.
09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #651
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
Coming back to the title of this thread: are there or aren't there (prosumer) cameras coming this year? Does somebody know more?
I think there is a definite date which we all know, in the USA at least, that Ricoh must release their new camera.
After that date I would think most photog's budgets would be somewhat depleted.
09-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #652
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How about:
"First, we are discussing development of FF SLR. We are touching base with a sensor manufacturer and proceeding the process of development towards production. [...]
Our long term strategy is towards FF while short term strategy is increasing line-up in APS-C segment. [...]
We are developing towards commercial production and will definitely launch though, it is the matter of whether it makes sense or not for Pentax to produce similar FF SLR to others and slightly smaller & lighter FF Lenses than others. As to time frame, it is under advanced development towards 2013 or later. You can expect that."
Is that a vague comment that don't commit, thus a "no"?
indeed, it is a no.
I am confronted daily with suppliers, consultants and employees who make that type of statements. Believe me, it is using lots of words just to avoid having to say that you have nothing.
and even if this is the eastern way, if you have a certain management level in an international company, you should be able to communicate taking into account that the whole world hears or reads your message, not just the locals.

09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #653
Pentaxian

Except that Toshiyuki Kitazawa is no supplier, consultant or mere employee, but the Head of Business Development. In this "nothing" you can clearly read:
- that it's about a DSLR
- they're working with a sensor manufacturer
- they will "definitely launch", it's long term strategy though so don't expect it to be in the near future
- the target is to launch a product on the market

Lots of committal details for a "no" And there's no need to say that much, unless:
a. he decided that lying is a good thing (highly unlikely IMHO, and I wouldn't accuse people easily)
b. it's actually true and they're working on FF projects.
09-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #654
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

The Pentax full frame DSLR should come soon after Pentax comes out with the new HD FA full frame lens series.
09-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #655
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except that Toshiyuki Kitazawa is no supplier, consultant or mere employee, but the Head of Business Development. In this "nothing" you can clearly read:
- that it's about a DSLR
- they're working with a sensor manufacturer
- they will "definitely launch", it's long term strategy though so don't expect it to be in the near future
- the target is to launch a product on the market

Lots of committal details for a "no" And there's no need to say that much, unless:
a. he decided that lying is a good thing (highly unlikely IMHO, and I wouldn't accuse people easily)
b. it's actually true and they're working on FF projects.
As head of business development he still is an employee.
I consider "the long term" as a no for the short term.
as a head of business development he should know that if you only have long term news you give at some related exiting short term perspective along.
09-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #656
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax first needs a 24-70 and a 70-200 before they can go FF. They will probably have to shop at Tamron for that. Maybe some old FA designs can be revived like the FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200 They won't need many cheap zooms for FF because it will be high end, with aps-c covering the lower end.
09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #657
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Definitely yes and will be on show during the Salon de la Photo in Paris.
My source is not THAT affirmative : announcement of something new in the DSLR line before the end of 2013 for sure...
09-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Smiling means, we can't tell you but we can't say that so we smile. It's a eastern thing.
I thought the smiling meant "You are a gaijin who smells like sour milk"
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #659
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I'm looking for is a 24 MP APS-c, which has been done by lot's of others already, and an incremental improvement in AF, maybe not Nikon or Canon AF, but another indication that they are making an effort to catch up.. that would sell me a camera. Maybe not before CHristmas. The camera company practice of charging a lot of money for cameras that don't have the bugs worked out yet, and then dropping the price as they become better, is annoying to say the least. I'm not going to pay to field test product at a premium price and with no hot line to the engineering department.
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #660
Pentaxian

In my opinion the last 20 Mpix SONY sensor would do an overall better job than the "old" 24 Mpix...
Remember that Mr Kawauchi stated that "Pentax is not running the megapixel race" or something like that.