Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'm kinda surprised the Chinese haven't made a digital m42. It would be a pretty simple thing to construct. At anyrate, I'll probably pick up an A3000, when the used market gets flooded with them in about a year, and a "lens turbo" just for m42 glass on the cheap. Unless of course Pentax brings out something similar.
I havent seen a knockoff DSLR from china for that matter. Perhaps some of the tech is patented very strictly? I think M42 is a unversal mount though, so like you said it should be possible, and there's a relatively big market for it.

Maybe when FF sensors get cheaper.

09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #677
Site Supporter

With M42 there'd be no autofocus or "modern" features available, unless someone added their own proprietary stuff.
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #678
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
My source is not THAT affirmative : announcement of something new in the DSLR line before the end of 2013 for sure...
This year they are late.
One official promo action on the Pentax Japan website ends Oct 15th, and I got the hint that late October / early November may be the timeline Ricoh was planing all along. The photo show in Paris may be the place to see the new cameras for the first time. New York show is 24th-26th October, and Ricoh isn't even there — so there we go, we have some indirect clues about approximately when and approximately where ...
09-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #679
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On the other forum, there was a post about the Pentax camera factory in the Philippines recently celebrating the manufacture of the 20 millionth Pentax camera. Why isn't this news anywhere on this forum?

Also in the same post there was intriguing mention of a new camera coming soon:

QuoteQuote:
-It has 20 mega pixels with the IQ of the 645D, did not mention sensor size but was told it was more on the programming to get that IQ
-Dual card slots
-There is a Ricoh badge at the back?

09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #680
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/222525-new-s...x-cameras.html

Someone on another forum hinted at this a while back but didn't give me any real info, I did post it though hoping to get some kind of confirmation, but if someone else was in the know back then they didn't spill any beans. This could still just be a rumour, not very substantive. I hope it is not however.
09-18-2013, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #681
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dual card slots right now to me is the most exciting part of that rumor. You can't count the megapixels in a picture that doesn't exist because your primary card stopped working or you forgot it in your computer's card reader! Having separate cards for RAW and jpg is nice, too.
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #682
Veteran Member

The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.
09-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #683
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Dual card slots right now to me is the most exciting part of that rumor. You can't count the megapixels in a picture that doesn't exist because your primary card stopped working or you forgot it in your computer's card reader! Having separate cards for RAW and jpg is nice, too.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I've been somewhat puzzled as to why people feel they need dual card slots. From the above, I am able to deduce the following:

1. In case one card is bad
2. In case card is forgotten at home, or wherever
3. Keeping RAWs and JPGs separate

To me, the only one that makes reasonable sense is #1. As to #2, if you can forget one card, you can forget both. Also, surely you have some spare cards with you, no? And as to #3, when copying from card to computer, having the two formats on separate cards saves literally seconds, no more (type *.jpg or *.dng in the Explorer SEARCH box, then SELECT ALL, COPY).

So, is #1 the main reason most people want dual slots, or am I missing something?

09-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #684
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I've been somewhat puzzled as to why people feel they need dual card slots. From the above, I am able to deduce the following:

To me, the only one that makes reasonable sense is #1. As to #2, if you can forget one card, you can forget both. Also, surely you have some spare cards with you, no? And as to #3, when copying from card to computer, having the two formats on separate cards saves literally seconds, no more (type *.jpg or *.dng in the Explorer SEARCH box, then SELECT ALL, COPY).

So, is #1 the main reason most people want dual slots, or am I missing something?
Dual card slots could also be used to speed up fps, or postbone a filled up buffer, by writing to two cards at the same time. ...If the camera manufacturer is smart enough to implement that as an option. I think that's the very best reason for multiple card slots.
09-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #685
Site Supporter

If it's a choice between 2 cards or wi-fi it should be wi-fi.
09-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #686
Site Supporter

Two cards can also double the in-camera storage capacity. Not sure when this would be needed as it's easy to change cards. Perhaps in inclement weather or dusty environments when one doesn't want to open the card door. There are probably other circumstances, too.
09-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #687
Pentaxian

3. is also a valid reason, for example if in the JPG slot you have an eye-fi card (upload medium resolution in-camera JPEGs while still having full-information RAWs for later processing). If there's no integrated Wi-Fi, of course.
09-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #688
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Dual card slots could also be used to speed up fps, or postbone a filled up buffer, by writing to two cards at the same time. ...If the camera manufacturer is smart enough to implement that as an option. I think that's the very best reason for multiple card slots.
OK, makes sense. I can see the usefulness of this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If it's a choice between 2 cards or wi-fi it should be wi-fi.
Meh. I'll take more accurate AF and/or better flash system over either of these

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Two cards can also double the in-camera storage capacity. Not sure when this would be needed as it's easy to change cards. Perhaps in inclement weather or dusty environments when one doesn't want to open the card door. There are probably other circumstances, too.
With SD card sizes being what they are these days, is this really an issue?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
3. is also a valid reason, for example if in the JPG slot you have an eye-fi card (upload medium resolution in-camera JPEGs while still having full-information RAWs for later processing). If there's no integrated Wi-Fi, of course.
I guess I can see this too. It's just that none of the above reasons strike me as being compelling compared to some other features that could be improved. To each his/her own, I suppose.
09-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #689
Site Supporter

With SD card sizes being what they are these days, is this really an issue?
Yes, to some people who like to keep the capacity of their SD cards lower in case of failure. Then they do not lose so many pictures.
09-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #690
Site Supporter

It's just that none of the above reasons strike me as being compelling compared to some other features that could be improved.
It's not an either/or situation. You can have two cards and other features as well. I fail to see how having two slots is detrimental. As far as I'm concerned, two card slots are better than one - after all, you can use only the one if you're so inclined. Also, the second card can be used to back up photos for security, especially in situations like weddings when a card failure would be a disaster.