Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #691
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
Maybe the extra storage capacity is nice if you use movie mode a lot? I can see it having advantages for some people, but personally I would ALWAYS prefer features that enhance the IQ of the pictures. With Pentaxians' luck, only the dual cardslot part of the rumor will be true: K-5II/d, in d stands for dual.

EDIT: The above was a bit sarcastic, but if the new Pentax camera to be released finally features the highly demanded video requirements, like manual controls, AF during video, etc, then you can expect the video function to be used more often by more people... And then it will require lots of storage space.


Last edited by Clavius; 09-19-2013 at 04:57 AM.
09-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #692
bxf
Site Supporter
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,121
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Yes, to some people who like to keep the capacity of their SD cards lower in case of failure. Then they do not lose so many pictures.
True enough. I'm one of these people.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not an either/or situation. You can have two cards and other features as well. I fail to see how having two slots is detrimental. As far as I'm concerned, two card slots are better than one - after all, you can use only the one if you're so inclined. Also, the second card can be used to back up photos for security, especially in situations like weddings when a card failure would be a disaster.
Agree with all of the above. I was merely puzzled by how strongly some appear to feel about this particular feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe the extra storage capacity is nice if you use movie mode a lot? I can see it having advantages for some people, but personally I would ALWAYS prefer features that enhance the IQ of the pictures. With Pentaxians' luck, only the dual cardslot part of the rumor will be true: K-5II/d, in d stands for dual.
Extra storage for video is a good point.
09-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #693
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not an either/or situation. You can have two cards and other features as well. I fail to see how having two slots is detrimental. As far as I'm concerned, two card slots are better than one - after all, you can use only the one if you're so inclined. Also, the second card can be used to back up photos for security, especially in situations like weddings when a card failure would be a disaster.
The photographer shooting my daughter's wedding used the second slot in precisely this manner. Images were recorded on one card while the second card was an automatic backup of the first.
09-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #694
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The photographer shooting my daughter's wedding used the second slot in precisely this manner. Images were recorded on one card while the second card was an automatic backup of the first.
Many of the latest DSLRs from Nikon like the D7100 and 600D have two SDXC slots instead of CF slots to save space but still have up to 256GB capacity like the 600x Lexar and with UHS-II SD cards coming next month with up to 312MB/s speed they will be faster than CF cards.

09-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #695
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,253
Dual slots is a great thing for a professional shooter. My wife is paranoid during a wedding that a card will go bad, switching cards, backing up frequently, etc. Having the second card for casual shooters may be like wearing a belt with suspenders, but when you are shooting a "once in a life time event," it can be a life saver.
09-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #696
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.
Thanks for the info Dave, it'll be interesting to see how they improve upon the K-5 line; my guess is an autofocus overhaul.
09-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #697
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.
If this is true then we should be seeing some more solid rumors solidify pretty soon.
09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #698
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If it's a choice between 2 cards or wi-fi it should be wi-fi.
Eye-fi would be good (enough) still.
I also think they won't use the 24Mpix sensor.
And the 20Mpix without AA filter could indeed give some exceptionnal IQ, somehow comparable with medium format in terms of resolution power, if coupled with HD Limited lens.
Plus high sensitivity performance...

09-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #699
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,350
Internal memory chip of 32GB would be cool too. You'd only need one slot for back-up.
09-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #700
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Eye-fi would be good (enough) still.
I also think they won't use the 24Mpix sensor.
And the 20Mpix without AA filter could indeed give some exceptionnal IQ, somehow comparable with medium format in terms of resolution power, if coupled with HD Limited lens.
Plus high sensitivity performance...
2 slots is great. I have a 64gb card in slot 1 on my d600 and save raw files to it, 2nd slot i have a 16gb ez-share card for jpegs (I like the ez-share card more than eye-fi - I can do all the transfers at a later time and select only the files I want to transfer, rather than everything transferring all the time).
09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #701
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I guess I can see this too. It's just that none of the above reasons strike me as being compelling compared to some other features that could be improved. To each his/her own, I suppose.
Of course improvement of image capturing features is always the #1 priority. With that said, dual card slots on high end cameras is more the norm than not now, and all it takes is designing the space and adding some programming - its not as if the card slot itself requires R&D that would take resources away from more important things.
09-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #702
Junior Member
geojazz's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 29
I look forward to any announcements that may come from Pentax!! I am also worried that Ricoh/Pentax is suspiciously absent from PDN PhotoExpo next Month in NYC? If something is about to be released this would be the perfect platform to make that Annoucement!!!
09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
I wouldn't be surprised if RIAC isn't convinced the return on funds for space rental, cost of building a booth and hiring people to staff doesn't offer a positive return.compared to other things they can do with the money.
09-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #704
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if RIAC isn't convinced the return on funds for space rental, cost of building a booth and hiring people to staff doesn't offer a positive return.compared to other things they can do with the money.
Marketing is a device that turns intangibles into tangibles, and tangibles back into very important intangibles. Investing in people's mindshare during shows is the intangible asset, and important one.

It's not only the venue to show off something new, but hear first hand confessions and details from user's life with a product that no online marketing survey can obtain. Being somewhere in flesh is the psychological reassurance, and some vahie idea of the brand is then replaced with a warm and helpful person, maybe even engineer or optical specialist who works for the brand. The intangible immediately becomes tangible and personal.

It's same difference as between the real life's dependancy of real friends, and online 'Click to like me to be my new friend I've never seen in my life'.
09-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #705
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
Whatever the H you just wrote - I think Pentax is spending the money out on the street talking to and demonstrating to real people in the flesh - rather than talking to Dealers who refuse to stock the product and Periodicals (print and digital) that refuse to review it fairly (unless Pentax waste even more money buying unseen ads in same periodicals).

As we shall soon see.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, check, christmas, discussion, future, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plans, releases
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Woe's with new Camera Stevizzy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Photokina 2012: Leica presents its new S medium format camera jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-21-2012 01:45 AM
Machinery Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride Sailor Post Your Photos! 29 02-04-2012 11:29 AM
Misc A New Christmas Camera . . . . . Sailor Post Your Photos! 18 01-01-2011 06:52 AM
Pentax's Third new camera..... New Distribution Channel interested_observer Pentax News and Rumors 50 09-30-2010 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top