Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #706
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
2 slots is great. I have a 64gb card in slot 1 on my d600 and save raw files to it, 2nd slot i have a 16gb ez-share card for jpegs (I like the ez-share card more than eye-fi - I can do all the transfers at a later time and select only the files I want to transfer, rather than everything transferring all the time).
I have 2x D800e and only ever used one card in each. IF I shot video or weddings I suppose I'd bother with a 2nd card but frankly I can't be bothered.

09-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #707
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best way of marketing, for Ricoh, is to make and release kick-ass products that people want to buy, and buy over other options because their products represent some unique value and quality.

Everything is easier to organise then, and even small efforts in presenting the product to someone in person or in media yields big results. The K5 was such a product, that brought back Pentax on many enthusiast's horizon, even with no fanfare and with zero media marketing. Now everyone expects: what's next? People are giving Pentax a big chance. But they are not waiting forever.

Ricoh must stop pretending being pregnant forever. Waters must break, and something new, something good, must be born.
09-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #708
Pentaxian

I agree. I was looking to upgrade from my E420 oly, considering the E3 or E5, whatever it was at the time. The reviews said nice body, handles well, but look at the K5. Even the local camera store was enthused about it. Unfortunately the build quality sucked. Two of three hoya products that I purchased have needed warranty repair. Pretty bad for killing buzz and losing money.
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #709
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I agree. I was looking to upgrade from my E420 oly, considering the E3 or E5, whatever it was at the time. The reviews said nice body, handles well, but look at the K5. Even the local camera store was enthused about it. Unfortunately the build quality sucked. Two of three hoya products that I purchased have needed warranty repair. Pretty bad for killing buzz and losing money.
Quality problems seem to me unavoidable in a consumer area where new models and technologies are created every 18 months. I remember long-time advice from Consumer Reports to never buy a new car within the first 2 model years of its introduction. The thought being that by the 3rd model year, the problems and issues would be ironed out. But in the camera world, by the 3rd model year, new models are generally created. Why? Few problems have been reported with the K5 II's and i think its due to this camera model being a slightly modified K5, for which the problems were ironed out during the first model year. I bought my K5 late in its model year and still have experienced zero problems with it - a wonderful camera.

I've never been a "first responder" or had my name on the "pre-order list" of any camera model and will leave the new models to the risk takers among us I want the drama in my pictures, not on a photography forum.

09-20-2013, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #710

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Quality problems seem to me unavoidable in a consumer area where new models and technologies are created every 18 months. I remember long-time advice from Consumer Reports to never buy a new car within the first 2 model years of its introduction. The thought being that by the 3rd model year, the problems and issues would be ironed out. But in the camera world, by the 3rd model year, new models are generally created. Why? Few problems have been reported with the K5 II's and i think its due to this camera model being a slightly modified K5, for which the problems were ironed out during the first model year. I bought my K5 late in its model year and still have experienced zero problems with it - a wonderful camera.

I've never been a "first responder" or had my name on the "pre-order list" of any camera model and will leave the new models to the risk takers among us I want the drama in my pictures, not on a photography forum.
Wise words, and what a relief! I upgraded from K20 to K5ii in June. The plan had been to wait for the expected "K3" , but on the other hand I really wanted to upgrade before summer vacation and some photo projects. Perhaps a good decision after all, although I still think I shall regret it in just a few weeks. Actually I hope I shall regret since that only means a bright future option.
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I have 2x D800e and only ever used one card in each. IF I shot video or weddings I suppose I'd bother with a 2nd card but frankly I can't be bothered.
Weddings are pretty much the only reason that I was dual card slots. I had a card fail on me once (horrible), but if I had two cards both recording the same images, I wouldn't have lost any images.
09-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #712
Pentaxian

This is true for pretty much any kind of live event/sports/wildlife shooting in which catching ephemeral moments is the key.

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Weddings are pretty much the only reason that I was dual card slots. I had a card fail on me once (horrible), but if I had two cards both recording the same images, I wouldn't have lost any images.
09-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #713
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
This is true for pretty much any kind of live event/sports/wildlife shooting in which catching ephemeral moments is the key.
If we think about it, aside from Landscape and Studio Pentax hasn't really pursued the major professional image selling markets (wedding/event/sports/wildlife) on a whole host of features ranging from flash sync through AF to shutter speed. I'm not surprised they haven't offered dual card slots either.

If they've been honest about offering a near professional level body some day (whether APSC or FF) they'll need to address a lot more than just dual cards.

09-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #714
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If we think about it, aside from Landscape and Studio Pentax hasn't really pursued the major professional image selling markets (wedding/event/sports/wildlife) on a whole host of features ranging from flash sync through AF to shutter speed. I'm not surprised they haven't offered dual card slots either.

If they've been honest about offering a near professional level body some day (whether APSC or FF) they'll need to address a lot more than just dual cards.
You are right here - they are lacking in making a real bid for wedding, event, photojournalist, sports and wildlife pro photographers. You are spot on about where they are lacking (give me better AF - the IIs is better than the K5, but I am hungry for more!) - I also think they need to address fps for sports and wildlife (and that wouldn't hurt my weddings either) and the trends in the wedding industry for good low light performance with FF. But in my opinion it is going to take more than camera specs to make a real bid for those industries. The new flashes are a start, but it will take lenses too, such as the 60-250 would need to be updated to FF (and it wouldn't hurt to get it to 2.8). Given that so much needs to be done to really release a pro level FF dslr, it makes me wonder if they aren't just content to stay with prosumers....
09-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #715
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that so much needs to be done to really release a pro level FF dslr, it makes me wonder if they aren't just content to stay with prosumers..
From what I hear they do intend to make a competitive pro level FF dSLR - but they know how long it will take to get there. The idea is to slot between [EDIT: should have written what today would be] 600 and 800 on price with 90++% of 800 capabilities. From what I hear lenses needs are understood, as well. It is real, but not soon. There will be a difference - the idea is to be an alternative, not just another CaNikonY. Ricoh is smart, patient, quality-oriented and absolutely relentless pursuing its goals. They just plain outlast the other guy.

The intermediate steps will show up on enthusiast/prosumer APSc bodies over time

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
09-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #716
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
they are lacking in making a real bid for wedding, event, photojournalist, sports and wildlife pro photographers.
Other than wedding photography the others are all mostly amateur pursuits now as photojournalism has lost well over half its employees in recent years. The entire market has shifted to prosumers as by far the dominant force in purchasing.
09-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #717
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Other than wedding photography the others are all mostly amateur pursuits now as photojournalism has lost well over half its employees in recent years. The entire market has shifted to prosumers as by far the dominant force in purchasing.
Thats true but the truth is that professional 35mm cameras have never had a significant pro percentage among their users. I read somewhere that 95%of the Nikon F5 was sold to amateurs. I guess some of the odd and expensive professional DSLR's may have a significant pro percentages but cameras like the D800 have probably numbers similar to the F5 above....
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #718
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Thats true but the truth is that professional 35mm cameras have never had a significant pro percentage among their users. I read somewhere that 95%of the Nikon F5 was sold to amateurs. I guess some of the odd and expensive professional DSLR's may have a significant pro percentages but cameras like the D800 have probably numbers similar to the F5 above....
Isn't that the whole point, though? Make a camera that professionals will use, then sell 20x as many to amateurs.
09-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #719
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From what I hear they do intend to make a competitive pro level FF dSLR - but they know how long it will take to get there. The idea is to slot between 600 and 800 on price with 90++% of 800 capabilities. From what I hear lenses needs are understood, as well. It is real, but not soon. There will be a difference - the idea is to be an alternative, not just another CaNikonY. Ricoh is smart, patient, quality-oriented and absolutely relentless pursuing its goals. They just plain outlast the other guy.

The intermediate steps will show up on enthusiast/prosumer APSc bodies over time
It's one thing to set goals based on what's out there but it's another to chase a moving target. When Pentax releases a FF digital camera, I doubt there will be a D600 and D800 on the market.
09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #720
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It's one thing to set goals based on what's out there but it's another to chase a moving target. When Pentax releases a FF digital camera, I doubt there will be a D600 and D800 on the market.
Well that's the way I heard it. I edited above for clarity.

I also heard FF is real but not soon.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.