Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #721
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well that's the way I heard it. I edited above for clarity.

I also heard FF is real but not soon.
Personally I don't mind. I wouldn't have the finances for a full frame right now. Either the new APS-C model or a K5iis when the prices drop because of the new model.

09-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #722
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
it will take lenses too, such as the 60-250 would need to be updated to FF (and it wouldn't hurt to get it to 2.8).
Oh no! Spare me from f2.8 lenses of more than 150mm - they are too big and heavy! The 60-250 mm f4 is about as large a lens as I want to carry, but then, for what I do, I don't need anything faster.
09-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #723
Pentaxian

Isn't that the whole point, though? Make a camera that professionals will use, then sell 20x as many to amateurs.
An interesting feature of that approach is that amateurs probably don't need the service back-up that professionals need.
09-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #724
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Oh no! Spare me from f2.8 lenses of more than 150mm - they are too big and heavy! The 60-250 mm f4 is about as large a lens as I want to carry, but then, for what I do, I don't need anything faster.
I agree. Such a lens (60-250mm f/2.8) would weigh between 2 and 3 kilograms, and either take filters over 90mm at the front or have interior filters.

The DA* 60-250mm f/4 weighs just over a kilogram and takes a modest filter of 67mm. It is as much as I want to carry and hand-hold for a full day (for an airshow, say).

09-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #725
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tamron 70-200/2.8 have the same weigth as DA* 60-250/4.
But a real FF replacement for DA* 60-250/4 is a 100-400mm lens, and it will be 1.5-2kg if it's f/5.6
09-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Tamron 70-200/2.8 have the same weigth as DA* 60-250/4.
But a real FF replacement for DA* 60-250/4 is a 100-400mm lens, and it will be 1.5-2kg if it's f/5.6
And the (FF) Canon 200-400mm f/4 with Tele-extender is 3.6 kilograms.
09-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #727
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, FF is not about lightweigth extreme tele glass.
09-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #728
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I agree. Such a lens (60-250mm f/2.8) would weigh between 2 and 3 kilograms, and either take filters over 90mm at the front or have interior filters.

The DA* 60-250mm f/4 weighs just over a kilogram and takes a modest filter of 67mm. It is as much as I want to carry and hand-hold for a full day (for an airshow, say).
I`ll rather see a 400mm F5.6 WR prime with good wide open performance, something like the canon 400mm F5.6 L. Sort of a little brother to the DA560.
Good performance, not too heavy and reasonably affordable. The canon does €1400,-, I even wouldn`t mind paying more if Pentax would offer such a lens.

09-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
I`ll rather see a 400mm F5.6 WR prime with good wide open performance, something like the canon 400mm F5.6 L. Sort of a little brother to the DA560.
Good performance, not too heavy and reasonably affordable. The canon does 1400,-, I even wouldn`t mind paying more if Pentax would offer such a lens.
I bought my DA* 300mm f/4 with the vague intention of adding the roadmap's 1.4x Teleconverter (ha!) to it to make it a 420mm f/5.6. I think such a lens or combination of lens plus teleconverter would be attractive.
09-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
You are right here - they are lacking in making a real bid for wedding, event, photojournalist, sports and wildlife pro photographers. You are spot on about where they are lacking (give me better AF - the IIs is better than the K5, but I am hungry for more!) - I also think they need to address fps for sports and wildlife (and that wouldn't hurt my weddings either) and the trends in the wedding industry for good low light performance with FF. But in my opinion it is going to take more than camera specs to make a real bid for those industries. The new flashes are a start, but it will take lenses too, such as the 60-250 would need to be updated to FF (and it wouldn't hurt to get it to 2.8). Given that so much needs to be done to really release a pro level FF dslr, it makes me wonder if they aren't just content to stay with prosumers....
Well i sated this already before since the EC Waterfly was in februari 2012:

So I went two weeks to the European Championship Waterfly in Eindhoven. Taken pictures 14 days, every day following 2 to 4 games. A hard learning school and I did enjoy it.

I used K-5, K-5 Silver, FA*85mm, DA40mm, DA21mm, DA15mm, DA*300mm and Sigma 70-200mm (OS version). I have three new SanDisk PRO cards 45mb/s and one older 32 GB classe 10 and 16 GB classe 6 card. Took a laptop to use in the mediacentre. Used a monopod and a Metz flash.

I took thousends of pictures during that time. There are some real fantastic pictures with it. Learnd a lot from some of the pro-shooters there (1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D, D300s, D3, D3s and loads of pro-lenses up to 400mm/f2.8). There where a few with transmitters to send their images to their laptops standing next to the pool. I spend time waiting for my camera to be ready with processing and storing files while next to me someone is standing reviewing the same pictures and selecting and deleting. Time I could not spend on my pictures. I'm talking about 8 hours or so during those two weeks. The K-5 is a slow camera in that way.

So what do I want?

•I want better image quality then K-5 offers at hi iso-settings to meet magazine printing quality. So I guess I want APS-H or Full Frame. For newspaper it is fine as K-5 is, but the future is demanding more.
•I want faster processing in the camera and up to UHS-I speed of writing to cards to stop loosing so much time on waiting for my camera to be ready.
•I want a smarter and faster AF system. I want lenses that are faster in focussing to work with that new AF-system.
•I want a second cardslot in my camera. To make RAW and jpg.
•I want to have a sort of transmitting of images to my laptop. I want to have an option to mark good pictures so I can find them back faster then now.
•I want a DA*400mm/f4 or a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 with a DA*1.4x TC.
•I would like to have the option to change to 12-bit RAW. Especially with hi iso (iso 1600 and up) to have smaller files that process faster.
•I would like an integrated grip. The K-5 body is perfect otherwise. So just attache the vertical grip to it and make it one fast camera full of options.
•A new and better flashsystem would be great.
•In sportsphotography a shutter garanteed to use for 100k times isn't so great. So making a new one better to use for at least 200.000 actuations would be great.

From an other ways satisfight user.

It still apply's for the next generation.
09-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #731
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron, you want too much

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I bought my DA* 300mm f/4 with the vague intention of adding the roadmap's 1.4x Teleconverter (ha!) to it to make it a 420mm f/5.6. I think such a lens or combination of lens plus teleconverter would be attractive.
Hmm, I`m not so sure about the T/C. They allways have an impact on IQ. My sigma 100-300 F4 is a great piece of glass but if I hook it up with the sigma 1.4 APO EX DG converter it`s not so good anymore. On close range the IQ is still very acceptable but on longer ranges cropping is not an option anymore. Also CA rears it ugly tail when the TC is used. I`m going to South Africa this year and a lot of people say "leave the 150-500, only take the 100-300 F4 with TC" but I`m afraid to do so.

But yes, I agree that a prime like that would be very attractive for wildlifers and birders.
09-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #732
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

So what do I want?

I want better image quality then K-5 offers at hi iso-settings to meet magazine printing quality. So I guess I want APS-H or Full Frame. For newspaper it is fine as K-5 is, but the future is demanding more.
I want faster processing in the camera and up to UHS-I speed of writing to cards to stop loosing so much time on waiting for my camera to be ready.
I want a smarter and faster AF system. I want lenses that are faster in focussing to work with that new AF-system.

I want a second cardslot in my camera. To make RAW and jpg.
I want to have a sort of transmitting of images to my laptop. I want to have an option to mark good pictures so I can find them back faster then now.
I want a DA*400mm/f4 or a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 with a DA*1.4x TC.
I would like to have the option to change to 12-bit RAW. Especially with hi iso (iso 1600 and up) to have smaller files that process faster.
I would like an integrated grip. The K-5 body is perfect otherwise. So just attache the vertical grip to it and make it one fast camera full of options.
A new and better flashsystem would be great.
In sportsphotography a shutter garanteed to use for 100k times isn't so great. So making a new one better to use for at least 200.000 actuations would be great.

I agree with the ones in green. The last one in my case is for time lapse videos, I don't care for sports shooting.

The blue ones are "why not but not that high on my list"

The rest are not important for my shooting.

I do agree that the K5 is way too slow in processing images. If you take about 5 images in quick succession and have lens corrections on, it takes seemingly forever before the camera is ready to continue.
09-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #733
Pentaxian

I'd go with:
- better image quality (nothing wrong with the K-5IIs, but an improvement in this area is always good)
- faster processing (very likely)
- faster, smarter AF with lenses to match
I won't use it, but it won't hurt either:
- second card slot
- wireless upload
- 12-bit RAW
- 200.000 frames shutter
I'm definitely against:
- integrated grip (why make the camera unnecessarily large?)
09-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #734
Veteran Member

See, here's the thing. Ricoh isn't thinking so much about Christmas 2013. They're thinking more about Christmas 2020. If I have to choose whether Ricoh or Olympus will be making cameras in 2020 I'd pick Ricoh in heartbeat.

I really don't understand the fetish with doom of Pentax talk unless it is that Pentax has been sort of going bankrupt since the 70's and sort of went out of business when Hoya bought them - so now all people can think is they're going out of business. We keep making the same points about this and that being broken or wrong or not done. And as Ricoh fixes things we say, "Well, sure, they're actually marketing, but it isn't good marketing, or they don't have the right stuff to compete, or they're not in the stores so what good will it do, or it isn't FF . . . . . . "

So what will people complain about here when all those things are fixed and they have 15% of the market?
I used to hang around various Apple forums during their lean years: the perpetual angst seemed to be part of the appeal for some people. So this doom and gloom talk about Pentax is not unfamiliar.
09-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Oh bother.... Well.... guess I'll just have to keep laying on the ground for low level shots and making a fool of myself trying to get back up again... or keep taking faith pictures... aim the camera where I think I want since I can't see through the viewfinder/screen and have faith that I'll get something I can at least salvage in post... at least for a while... Since I don't care about FF at my level of expertise.
Seriously, check out the K-01 -- the screen may not articulate, but it is visible from surprisingly sharp angles. Or spend a few more dollars on the K-30, which functions much like the K-01 in liveview mode, as well as being a very capable SLR.

Last edited by asw66; 09-21-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: typo