Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #766
TZH
Senior Member
TZH's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.

I know people think that a lens like that would be too heavy - and it might be for some, but it is necessary for a real pro level set up. 70-200 2.8 lenses are a Canikon standard for wedding shooters. I use my 60-250 every wedding, but I am totally open - and sometimes that is a push!

I really do believe that Ricoh hears us with our desires for an upgrade and I appreciate that they are taking the time to do it right. I just think it could be a bad move to release a FF camera without your own lenses to support it. If they released FF by Christmas (this year), then many would find themselves buying 3rd party to have zooms to use with it - and from a business standpoint, that just doesn't make much sense. I have to be optimistic that part of why they aren't releasing the camera yet is because they are deciding what lenses to also release with it and they are busy getting the manufacturing in place.
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....


09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #767
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #768
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #769
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....
But I thought they did do the 70-200 in PK...what is certain is that at the current time the only FF zoom offerings are the products of 3rd party vendors.

09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #770
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #771
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
Neither does the D800/800E
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #772
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
The difference between a grip used currently with K-5 and integrated in the camera is huge. Our current grip is for holding a second battery or a tray off AA's and a second set off buttons. An integrated grip would make room for electronics that add to the performance off the camera.

I stated it earlier, a K-5 body with integrated grip would still make for a very small camera compaired to 1Dx, but would be the size off the D800, just made differently. Making the form and ergonomics off the camera leading to the design while offering the same space for electronics inside as inside the D800.
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #773
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,456
New Cameras by Christmas - thread started July 26th. HMMMMM. Is it possible the conflicting spec. rumors comes because there are two cameras? Even two APSc cameras and a thrid of some larger kind next spring?

09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #774
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The difference between a grip used currently with K-5 and integrated in the camera is huge. Our current grip is for holding a second battery or a tray off AA's and a second set off buttons. An integrated grip would make room for electronics that add to the performance off the camera.
This. This is why I think an integrated grip is important.

But hey, to each his own.
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #775
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
An integrated grip would make the camera larger than necessary. I don't want a D800-sized camera; I'm OK with a slight increase in size but not that much.
YMMV. But you could always add a grip
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #776
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,287
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
But hey, to each his own.
No way I would want an integrated grip for what I do, but I can surely see why some would want it. I guess the problem is that now you have two models, one with & one without. Where with the attachable grip you have one model plus an accessory. Which granted is not as nice as integrated but I wonder if Pentax can support two models with nearly the same specs? Maybe eventually.
09-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #777
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,456
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
but I wonder if Pentax can support two models with nearly the same specs?
I think Allison's point is that, if the integrated grip is filled with electronics instead of air the spec.s aren't the same - they are really two cameras. One for Pros with an integrated grip, one for enthusiasts with a detachable grip.

And need I write again, the thread is new cameras by Christmas?
09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #778
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,287
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And need I write again, the thread is new cameras by Christmas?
K-3 red, K-3 black, K-3 blue?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think Allison's point is that, if the integrated grip is filled with electronics instead of air the spec.s aren't the same - they are really two cameras.
Sure, I understand that, but Pentax has had trouble keeping one top shelf camera going. Not sure they will go for two. And I think integrated grip is a little specialized so even less volume. Not saying it would not be nice and the extra space could certainly be filled with all manner of goodies, just not sure the economics would work out at this time.

Does anyone have an integrated grip on an APS-C camera? Hmm...
09-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #779
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
Enough electronics to fill a grip? I doubt it. And like jatrax said, I don't think Pentax can afford to split their flagship in two versions.
Besides, there are already too many large DSLRs; no need for another.
09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #780
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater Montreal Area
Posts: 736
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
An integrated grip would make the camera larger than necessary. I don't want a D800-sized camera; I'm OK with a slight increase in size but not that much.
YMMV. But you could always add a grip
I say an inflatable grip is the solution...inflte it to the size of your liking
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, check, christmas, discussion, future, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plans, releases
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Woe's with new Camera Stevizzy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Photokina 2012: Leica presents its new S medium format camera jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-21-2012 01:45 AM
Machinery Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride Sailor Post Your Photos! 29 02-04-2012 11:29 AM
Misc A New Christmas Camera . . . . . Sailor Post Your Photos! 18 01-01-2011 06:52 AM
Pentax's Third new camera..... New Distribution Channel interested_observer Pentax News and Rumors 50 09-30-2010 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top