Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #766
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.

I know people think that a lens like that would be too heavy - and it might be for some, but it is necessary for a real pro level set up. 70-200 2.8 lenses are a Canikon standard for wedding shooters. I use my 60-250 every wedding, but I am totally open - and sometimes that is a push!

I really do believe that Ricoh hears us with our desires for an upgrade and I appreciate that they are taking the time to do it right. I just think it could be a bad move to release a FF camera without your own lenses to support it. If they released FF by Christmas (this year), then many would find themselves buying 3rd party to have zooms to use with it - and from a business standpoint, that just doesn't make much sense. I have to be optimistic that part of why they aren't releasing the camera yet is because they are deciding what lenses to also release with it and they are busy getting the manufacturing in place.
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....

09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #767
Pentaxian

I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #768
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....
But I thought they did do the 70-200 in PK...what is certain is that at the current time the only FF zoom offerings are the products of 3rd party vendors.

09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #770
Veteran Member

I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #771
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
Neither does the D800/800E
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #772
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The difference between a grip used currently with K-5 and integrated in the camera is huge. Our current grip is for holding a second battery or a tray off AA's and a second set off buttons. An integrated grip would make room for electronics that add to the performance off the camera.

I stated it earlier, a K-5 body with integrated grip would still make for a very small camera compaired to 1Dx, but would be the size off the D800, just made differently. Making the form and ergonomics off the camera leading to the design while offering the same space for electronics inside as inside the D800.
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #773
Lens Buying Addict

New Cameras by Christmas - thread started July 26th. HMMMMM. Is it possible the conflicting spec. rumors comes because there are two cameras? Even two APSc cameras and a thrid of some larger kind next spring?

09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #774
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The difference between a grip used currently with K-5 and integrated in the camera is huge. Our current grip is for holding a second battery or a tray off AA's and a second set off buttons. An integrated grip would make room for electronics that add to the performance off the camera.
This. This is why I think an integrated grip is important.

But hey, to each his own.
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #775
Pentaxian

An integrated grip would make the camera larger than necessary. I don't want a D800-sized camera; I'm OK with a slight increase in size but not that much.
YMMV. But you could always add a grip
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #776
Site Supporter

But hey, to each his own.
No way I would want an integrated grip for what I do, but I can surely see why some would want it. I guess the problem is that now you have two models, one with & one without. Where with the attachable grip you have one model plus an accessory. Which granted is not as nice as integrated but I wonder if Pentax can support two models with nearly the same specs? Maybe eventually.
09-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #777
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
but I wonder if Pentax can support two models with nearly the same specs?
I think Allison's point is that, if the integrated grip is filled with electronics instead of air the spec.s aren't the same - they are really two cameras. One for Pros with an integrated grip, one for enthusiasts with a detachable grip.

And need I write again, the thread is new cameras by Christmas?
09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #778
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And need I write again, the thread is new cameras by Christmas?
K-3 red, K-3 black, K-3 blue?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think Allison's point is that, if the integrated grip is filled with electronics instead of air the spec.s aren't the same - they are really two cameras.
Sure, I understand that, but Pentax has had trouble keeping one top shelf camera going. Not sure they will go for two. And I think integrated grip is a little specialized so even less volume. Not saying it would not be nice and the extra space could certainly be filled with all manner of goodies, just not sure the economics would work out at this time.

Does anyone have an integrated grip on an APS-C camera? Hmm...
09-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #779
Pentaxian

Enough electronics to fill a grip? I doubt it. And like jatrax said, I don't think Pentax can afford to split their flagship in two versions.
Besides, there are already too many large DSLRs; no need for another.
09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #780
Site Supporter

An integrated grip would make the camera larger than necessary. I don't want a D800-sized camera; I'm OK with a slight increase in size but not that much.
YMMV. But you could always add a grip
I say an inflatable grip is the solution...inflte it to the size of your liking