Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They must. Otherwise, they're no alternative to CaNikon, but are perceived as their copycats.
They must have something differentiating them clearly.
And that is more important thing to me to see, and will testify Ricoh's 'thinking differently" strategy — rather than some new, but still same DSLR concept K-3 camera beefed up with specs.
In other words, I don't see innovation as beefing up specs in same old shapes and concepts.
If I were running pentax I would have a stable of low priced to medium priced bodies with well established already developed technology, and have all the new stuff in the top of the line body. As the technology matures, production gets cheaper, sell it in the low cost bodies and come out with something new.

I think most do that but the crippling, for example the buffer issues with the d7100, would drive me to another brand.

09-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If I were running pentax I would have a stable of low priced to medium priced bodies with well established already developed technology, and have all the new stuff in the top of the line body. As the technology matures, production gets cheaper, sell it in the low cost bodies and come out with something new.

I think most do that but the crippling, for example the buffer issues with the d7100, would drive me to another brand.
I'm guessing their strategy is to do part one nut move the technology down farther and faster to add value, and never "cripple." That's a high-volume manufacturing technique (SP500 anyone?)
09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #783
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting for Ricoh to start innovating (*) and presenting to public.

* Those behind-the-curtain, under-the-kimono innovations that Ricoh's officials who've seen them brag about.
Theta
09-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #784
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Theta
Theta is an interesting gadget.
But because it has such a limited use, I thought of it to have a whole new life as a product integrated into another product. Say, into a pop up flash like feature that is integrated into a normal camera, does a 360 degree shot, and retracts back. Like the Pentax Q flash of sorts. I can see it in a MX-1 type of camera for example, integrated at the very edge (its body being part of grip), next to flash.
Just my idea, though.

09-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #785
Pentaxian

They must. Otherwise, they're no alternative to CaNikon, but are perceived as their copycats.
They must have something differentiating them clearly.
And that is more important thing to me to see, and will testify Ricoh's 'thinking differently" strategy — rather than some new, but still same DSLR concept K-3 camera beefed up with specs.
In other words, I don't see innovation as beefing up specs in same old shapes and concepts.
And why can't they do that with a single flagship? Why is one camera "being copycats", if by itself, but as soon as you add another it's "alternative"?
09-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #786
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I say an inflatable grip is the solution...inflte it to the size of your liking
Or include a zipper so you can fill it with any material you like: an integrated bean bag!

Seriously, having a separate grip as an accessory is inherent to the DSLR concept IMHO. The basic priciple for this kind of system is modularity, i.e. the ability to build your camera to the need of the moment. Of course being able to use specialized lenses is the main advantage. The purpose of small pancakes for discreet and portable photography is defeated by putting them on a huge camera with an integrated grip, but on the other hand an extremely long lens requires much more of a counter balance than a small body can offer. With a separate grip, a camera can accomodate both needs...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 09-26-2013 at 01:10 AM.
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
I sometimes use my K-5IIs with a grip, and sometimes without. I use it with a grip for one kilogram lenses (DA* 300mm f/4, DA* 60-250mm f/4) because the balance tends to be about equal between the camera and lens. But for my Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX DG the balance is towards the lens and the grip is inconvenient.

It is possible to change the battery in the grip without removing the grip.

09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #788
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh isn't quite ready to support full=pro yet, so why pretend and release a full-pro camera body?

Once they have lenses, at least some distribution, pro support services and repair and the kind of image marketing that benefits from professional association maybe then you'll see a full-pro spec body, including the integrated grip. It's real, but not soon.
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #789
Banned

Original Poster
And how does one acquire 'professional association' if you don't have equipment that professionals would consider using (whether the system is labelled 'pro' or not)?

Chicken or Egg?

From my own perspective, I don't mind if the system is labelled 'pro' now or not, or if there is an extensive support and repair network or not. But I do want to see them make some reasonable advances in obviously deficient areas (AF, flash-synch, back-up card).

I think they are doing themselves a dis-service if they don't at least make the system worth serious consideration...now.
09-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #790
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
And how does one acquire 'professional association' if you don't have equipment that professionals would consider using (whether the system is labelled 'pro' or not)?

Chicken or Egg?

From my own perspective, I don't mind if the system is labelled 'pro' now or not, or if there is an extensive support and repair network or not. But I do want to see them make some reasonable advances in obviously deficient areas (AF, flash-synch, back-up card).

I think they are doing themselves a dis-service if they don't at least make the system worth serious consideration...now.
I think that the time is also there for doing this. The technologie in sensors for IQ is on a hold to my feelings and thus a new pro-body with hi-specs can run for a few years in production. When the new AF-module is ready the rest is just electronics to make it fast and snappy. Put in that fast computer.

K-1 with integrated grip (K-5 style) is still dwarfish in size compared to 1Dx or D4.
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
That's exactly my point.

Ricoh is doing first things first. We won't see a professional body until they have all the rest of the professional requirements in place and ready to deliver.
09-26-2013, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #792
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh isn't quite ready to support full=pro yet, so why pretend and release a full-pro camera body?

Once they have lenses, at least some distribution, pro support services and repair and the kind of image marketing that benefits from professional association maybe then you'll see a full-pro spec body, including the integrated grip. It's real, but not soon.
I think it is more important to come with a pro body first,
Since SIGMA offer wonderful 35/50/85 mm lenses, TAMRON offer pretty good 28-75mm and 70-200 mm and of course there is 31/43/77 from Pentax, I believe that is enough for a start.
09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Since SIGMA offer wonderful 35/50/85 mm lenses, TAMRON offer pretty good 28-75mm and 70-200 mm and of course there is 31/43/77 from Pentax, I believe that is enough for a start.

I agree that there are enough FF lenses for consumers, but there aren't enough FF PENTAX lenses for Ricoh to sell with a new system.
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #794
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I agree that there are enough FF lenses for consumers, but there aren't enough FF PENTAX lenses for Ricoh to sell with a new system.
For the new glass from Pentax to be successful, they new to come with a better price/quality ratio or performance than the competitors. Comparing the lens pricing policies from Pentax and Sigma, it is pretty obvious which one is more wallet-friendly Maybe Pentax can blow Sigma away with performance then (having the new Sigma 35mm in mind)? I hope so.
09-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Ricoh doesn't make any money on Sigma and Tamron lenses. For that matter they don't really make much money on Pentax bodies.