Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #811
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's exactly my point.

Ricoh is doing first things first. We won't see a professional body until they have all the rest of the professional requirements in place and ready to deliver.
And my point is what should come first, the support or the equipment? (hence the 'chicken and egg' comment).

Are you suggesting they hold off on releasing equipment capable of fulfilling professional photographers needs until they have a support network and all the other bits and bobs in place? That's one approach to it, granted.

What I am suggesting is that they should at least be working on, and releasing, equipment now that pros would consider using, even if it's not yet labelled 'pro'. I'm not, necessarily, talking about integrated grips and/or full-frame yet either, just a move to address some obvious deficiencies.

With the current speculation about a new camera (K-3 or whatever it is), I think they may be doing just what I've suggested. Given that they've aligned their 'enthusiast' cameras with the number 5, if the new body is a '3' there must be something to differentiate it as higher than 'enthusiast'. I will be particularly interested in what that might be (I'm really hoping on a second card-slot for back-up).

09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #812
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
And my point is what should come first, the support or the equipment? (hence the 'chicken and egg' comment).

Are you suggesting they hold off on releasing equipment capable of fulfilling professional photographers needs until they have a support network and all the other bits and bobs in place? That's one approach to it, granted.

What I am suggesting is that they should at least be working on, and releasing, equipment now that pros would consider using, even if it's not yet labelled 'pro'. I'm not, necessarily, talking about integrated grips and/or full-frame yet either, just a move to address some obvious deficiencies.

With the current speculation about a new camera (K-3 or whatever it is), I think they may be doing just what I've suggested. Given that they've aligned their 'enthusiast' cameras with the number 5, if the new body is a '3' there must be something to differentiate it as higher than 'enthusiast'. I will be particularly interested in what that might be (I'm really hoping on a second card-slot for back-up).
I've seen a statement somewhere in these forums that most professional-grade cameras are bought by non-professionals. (And I know amateurs with cameras such as Canon 1D X).

If so, there is no need to wait for a full support network before launching such equipment. And it must surely make such a support network more credible if the equipment is already there when the support network is launched.
09-27-2013, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #813
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I've seen a statement somewhere in these forums that most professional-grade cameras are bought by non-professionals. (And I know amateurs with cameras such as Canon 1D X).
If so, there is no need to wait for a full support network before launching such equipment. And it must surely make such a support network more credible if the equipment is already there when the support network is launched.
What's this? Facts and logic in this thread? Stop that immediately!
09-30-2013, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #814

Folks , Pentax already has a Pro Service to support the 645D ( with the caveat that the photographer makes 50% of his annual income from Photography). This service may/might be expanded to handle FF DSLR's . Also lack of FF Glass can be mitigated by TAMRON/SIGMA creating glass for Pentax under Contract ( even a rebranding agreement with a 70/30 or 60/40 profit split may be profitable to all concerned). Its still to early to say what may be coming if anything, so lets be patient and hope. It serves no purpose to speculate in the absence of hard facts and wishing won't make it so. As many of us are long standing Pentaxians , I say we be patient and see what comes down the pike in the next year.

10-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #815
Forum Member

A voice of reason

QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
Folks... It serves no purpose to speculate in the absence of hard facts and wishing won't make it so. As many of us are long standing Pentaxians, I say we be patient and see what comes down the pike in the next year.
A voice of reason. Nice.
10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
True... But why take the hard way and try to compete against other bigger players in a small saturated piece of the market, (pro-FF) while there's a big fat hole in the market that nobody serves at all: consumer-grade FF? I was convinced Sony was going to beat Pentax to it with their future FF mirrorless offering, but its rumored price suggests that that hole in the market will nog be plugged any time soon.

It is baffling that people connect FF with pro at all. Here where I live I hardly see a pro using FF cameras. I have in fact never seen the archetypical pro, the photo journalist, with something other than an APS camera.
Besides, the concept of pro cameras has been completely muddled in the digital age. Most pros use "consumer" bodies and apart from the odd model from Nikon and Canon, like the D4 eg, with limited appeal for enthusiast, few bodies can be labeled pro.
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #817
Site Supporter

I know 2 photojournalist pros who work for the mainstream media and both use FF equipment (Canon) supplied by their news services. They share their cameras from a stable. Each shift gets the cameras.

They also buy their own for personal and contract work. I see most photojournalists in the scrum with FF now.
10-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #818
Veteran Member

So is it camera or cameras?? Looks like the K-3 is coming soon. Any others on their way for this year?

10-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #819
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
So is it camera or cameras?? Looks like the K-3 is coming soon. Any others on their way for this year?
My apologies, when I posted this thread I wasn't quite sure if the guy I had spoken to was alluding to one or more new cameras.

I guess we still don't know, but recent rumors would suggest one.
10-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
My apologies, when I posted this thread I wasn't quite sure if the guy I had spoken to was alluding to one or more new cameras.

I guess we still don't know, but recent rumors would suggest one.
True. The only other camera that could theoretically be refreshed would be the 645D but we've not had any leaked pictures or much in the way of rumours. So if it is coming before the end of the year I think the announcement is still a way off. Big IF there.
10-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #821
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What's this? Facts and logic in this thread? Stop that immediately!
LOL! I must agree. Facts and logic has gone out the window, except for a few posts. No matter what Ricoh releases as the next Pentax, how many of us will be really happy with what they release? The "wishlist" has grown so long that at least some of use will be sorely disappointed.
10-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #822

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
True. The only other camera that could theoretically be refreshed would be the 645D but we've not had any leaked pictures or much in the way of rumours. So if it is coming before the end of the year I think the announcement is still a way off. Big IF there.
Maybe Pentax is a bit worried about rumors spreading about Canon entering the MF market and they are considering their next move more carefully.
10-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Maybe Pentax is a bit worried about rumors spreading about Canon entering the MF market and they are considering their next move more carefully.
Or maybe, the 645D being quite popular in Japan, they prefer to wait until CP+ (Yokohama, Japan; 13-16 February 2014) to make a 645D-related announcement.
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Of course they are worried. Everyone is worried. But users shouldn't be.
Pentax will most likely loose any kind of possible advantage with its 645D system, because they have spent 3 years in that market, doing nothing and playing pinball while Ricoh was throwing dices and asked astrologers what to do next with Pentax.
If Canon enters that market, they will conquer it in 18 months, and expand it further. MF will be totally invigorated as all other players are totally incapable of invigorating it, or adding any new value.
Canon can save that market and give it a new dimension.
10-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #825
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Canon can save that market and give it a new dimension.
Or maybe the THREAT of Canon will cause the current players to wake up. I think this is an area Pentax has a large POTENTIAL advantage. But they need to get out in front and make it not worth Canon's time. Which means a new 645d, soon. Plus more support in the lens, accessories and software areas.