Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #856
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Well, I guess some people will never be happy.

Is this typical for Pentax or is it the same for all brands?
Typical here at least
Seriously, I think it is everywhere, just slightly different subjects.

10-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We all have that certain thing we need that we'll never get. I need a camera viewfinder that reads my retina, and when it stops on something, focuses on what it's pointed at and takes a picture, sends it to my computer, analyses it, PPs it to perfection and then prints it and sells it. If Pentax doesn't come out with a system like that soon, I'm switching to Panasonic.
10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #858
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No, you have missed my point. If Canon comes to MF market, make sure they won't play around and waste everyone's time, but will conquer it like a storm, and connect it thoroughly with the industry-standard FF offer, which no other MF manufacturer (except niche Leica M) has or can dream about.
From day one, Canon's MF will be most likely be able to use all EOS lenses and all accessories, making a transition from FF to MF seamless for all enthusiasts, in the manner their 5D strategy (a shift from APS-C to FF) worked.
There is a good reason Canon is number 1.
I don't see this at all. Unless Canon was to try to significantly expand the MF market (unlikely), they are battling a very different market from the standard SLR market. That is to say, medium format shooters are fairly entrenched, do not turn over camera bodies frequently, are OK with older tech and slower focus. It isn't as though Canon has a bunch of older medium format lenses out there that they can draw on for building a new system. The sensor is the easiest part of the equation for them, the glass and getting people to buy them, the tough thing.

The techniques that sell millions of Canon XSI cameras will not work on the medium format market.
10-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #859
Site Supporter

I think this thread has established a new low.

We started at a dealer rep saying there would be new Pentax cameras out by Christmas.
Moved on to "Pentax is doomed because the new camera will not be full frame"
And now have descended to "Pentax is doomed because the new camera will not be a Medium Format that will compete with a rumored Canon camera"

What's next?

10-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #860
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

We started at a dealer rep saying there would be new Pentax cameras out by Christmas.
And now have descended to "Pentax is doomed because the new camera will not be a Medium Format that will compete with a rumored Canon camera"

What's next?
Pentax is doomed because they don't have a digital version of the 67!
10-03-2013, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #861
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax is doomed because they don't have a digital version of the 67!
I think I might have heard a rumor that Nikon was going to expand into the 67 market to head off any innovation by Pentax in this area. Surely this is a conspiracy to take out Ricoh before they get started?
10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #862
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

What's next?

Pentaxians can be a lot like Buck Turgidson. "We must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"
10-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #863
Veteran Member

What's next?
Nikon is rumored to enter the printer market, and will release a product can print and take pictures at the same time. It will obliterate all Canon and Ricoh products, cameras included.

Unless Pentax Ricoh releases a cheap medium format printer that can take pictures at 50MP, pentax is doomed.

10-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #864
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Nikon is rumored to enter the printer market, and will release a product can print and take pictures at the same time. It will obliterate all Canon and Ricoh products, cameras included.

Unless Pentax Ricoh releases a cheap medium format printer that can take pictures at 50MP, pentax is doomed.
But does it have a coffee maker built in? The bulge on the K-3 is a teeny-tiny coffee maker, Nikon and Canon are doomed.
10-03-2013, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #865
Veteran Member

I'm a professional, cough, and I loathe using a grip. Not everyone wants one integrated and in fact for me it would be a reason NOT to buy. Optional suits me better. If people want them fine, but I don't. A grip just gets in my way working, seriously. Just give me extra batteries handy and forget about it...
10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #866
Emperor and Senpai

I heard Sony is getting into the 8x10 format digital market. Pentax is doomed. DOOMED! So sell me your good lenses cheap before they are only worth their weight in scrap metal.
10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #867
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But does it have a coffee maker built in? The bulge on the K-3 is a teeny-tiny coffee maker, Nikon and Canon are doomed.
That reminds me of this

10-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #868
Veteran Member

Pentax could easily bring out a new FF body right now as long as the mount wasn't k-mount. They could convert their existing FF lenses to the new mount thus cutting out 3rd party lens makers initially and hence make money off their own available lenses.
Whilst I think that is unlikely I do believe a new Pentax FF will be a modular SLR system like the LX (or even a mirrorless 645D Mk2 with a FF crop mode) with a possible mirrorless FF (K-5ish sized) low end model being eventually available as well.

Regarding innovation:
Improving or bypassing weak existing tech is always the consideration with weighted financial values acting as a filter.

Mirrorless and with on-sensor PDAF comes to mind as offering the most obvious cost cutting combined with the greatest potential for improved performance. An EVF of some description would obviously be next on this path but not necessarily built-in initially (as per the K-01).
Removing built-in lens motors and opting for a quiet screw drive would also help with the size of new FF lenses although it wouldn't seem all that glamorous.
10-03-2013, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #869
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax could easily bring out a new FF body right now as long as the mount wasn't k-mount. They could convert their existing FF lenses to the new mount thus cutting out 3rd party lens makers initially and hence make money off their own available lenses.
Whilst I think that is unlikely I do believe a new Pentax FF will be a modular SLR system like the LX (or even a mirrorless 645D Mk2 with a FF crop mode) with a possible mirrorless FF (K-5ish sized) low end model being eventually available as well.
Because cutting off your existing user base from using their expensive lens collections and minimizing the number of lenses available at launch would be a GREAT strategy for launching a full frame platform...
10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
mirrorless 645D Mk2 with a FF crop mode) with a possible mirrorless FF (K-5ish sized) low end model being eventually available as well.
Also, you do realize that eliminating the mirror on the 645d would result in virtually no size reduction, considering the registration distance of the lenses, don't you?