Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #976
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,201
Call me pessimist but regarding medium format going mirrorless, perhaps for cost, that's possible. But to make the camera more compact... is weird. It's just like the Sony NEX in a bigger scale; like mounting a beer can on a matchbox. Medium format was designed to be ...well, a tad larger than average.

10-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #977
Pentaxian
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Medium format was designed to be ...well, a tad larger than average.
Not sure it was designed to be larger just for the sake of it. It had to be because of the huge mirrors. I never saw a Mamiya RF, so I don't know how large that was. Clearly, it had to use a larger film, so it couldn't be 35mm size. I have an old folding bellows camera in my collection that's a lot smaller than a Nikon D4, for instance.
10-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #978
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,201
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Clearly, it had to use a larger film, so it couldn't be 35mm size. I have an old folding bellows camera in my collection that's a lot smaller than a Nikon D4, for instance.
Yup that's the thing - larger format. Maybe it's just me, but the imbalance between too-compact body size and inevitable lens size and weight makes things look odd from both visual and ergonomic point of view. I'd mount a larger camera most of the time on a tripod, and if a medium format's going to have more weight and grip in the lens than in the body, then manufacturers better start making adjustable tripod mounts for the lenses thereon, to keep it balanced.
10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,749
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
if a medium format's going to have more weight and grip in the lens than in the body, then manufacturers better start making adjustable tripod mounts for the lenses thereon, to keep it balanced.
Or figuring out a way to make the image capture mechanism part of each lens itself . . . . . .

10-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #980
Veteran Member
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would love for Pentax to have a variable automatic crop mode specifically made for each DA lens. The DA 40 and 70 both are pretty close to full frame compatible, but with pretty dark corners wide open and certainly you wouldn't want an APS-C crop on those, although truthfully I would probably just crop after the fact.
Hey, dark corners would just be like the vignetting offered by many programs - but without the extra work As you mentioned - one doesn't have to shoot wide open.

Yep , manual cropping would work fine. but considering how many new Pentax lenses are affected, they still would be better off offering it.

Does anyone know how my DA 50-135 would vignette on a FF?? Again i suppose it relates to the f-stop and the wider FL.
10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #981
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or figuring out a way to make the image capture mechanism part of each lens itself . . . . . .
GXR-esque?
10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,749
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
GXR-esque?
Lytro
10-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,668
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hey, dark corners would just be like the vignetting offered by many programs - but without the extra work As you mentioned - one doesn't have to shoot wide open. Yep , manual cropping would work fine. but considering how many new Pentax lenses are affected, they still would be better off offering it.
They won't take the chance. Imagine the complaints to customer service as new FF owners use DA lenses on their new cameras and get 'defective' pictures? There will be an automatic crop for any detected DA line lens. They might add the option to turn it off, but the default has to be cropped. I agree for experienced users with a good collection of DA lenses having the option to crop in PP would be good. But taking a chance your camera gets complaints because you allow the use of lenses in a non-optimal manner? Not gonna happen, IMHO.

10-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #984
Veteran Member
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They won't take the chance. Imagine the complaints to customer service as new FF owners use DA lenses on their new cameras and get 'defective' pictures? There will be an automatic crop for any detected DA line lens. They might add the option to turn it off, but the default has to be cropped. I agree for experienced users with a good collection of DA lenses having the option to crop in PP would be good. But taking a chance your camera gets complaints because you allow the use of lenses in a non-optimal manner? Not gonna happen, IMHO.
I see your point, but I thought i had read somewhere that Nikon allows that on their FF cameras - i could be wrong As long as they put the caution in one's manual (that noone reads), I don't see it as too big a problem. They already put precautions in APSc dslr manuals about which lenses will have which disabled features. Anyway, i'd like to have that feature.
10-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,668
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Anyway, i'd like to have that feature.
Agree. It allows the maximum creativity of the user. We'll see if Ricoh caters to enthusiasts who know how to use their gear or soccer moms that shoot in green mode. Hmm, maybe that's an idea. Auto-crop in green, allow the user to decide in other modes?

Of course now we are arguing about the details that Ricoh will put into a FF camera instead of whether they will make one......
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #986
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,362
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They won't take the chance. Imagine the complaints to customer service as new FF owners use DA lenses on their new cameras and get 'defective' pictures? There will be an automatic crop for any detected DA line lens. They might add the option to turn it off, but the default has to be cropped. I agree for experienced users with a good collection of DA lenses having the option to crop in PP would be good. But taking a chance your camera gets complaints because you allow the use of lenses in a non-optimal manner? Not gonna happen, IMHO.
These will be upper end users who are comfortable with post processing. I think automatic crop would be the default setting, but with the option to turn it off.
10-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #987
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 944
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They won't take the chance. Imagine the complaints to customer service as new FF owners use DA lenses on their new cameras and get 'defective' pictures? There will be an automatic crop for any detected DA line lens. They might add the option to turn it off, but the default has to be cropped. I agree for experienced users with a good collection of DA lenses having the option to crop in PP would be good. But taking a chance your camera gets complaints because you allow the use of lenses in a non-optimal manner? Not gonna happen, IMHO.
DA and DA* lenses do not have a consistent image circle corresponding to an APS-C sensor. Each lens must be taken on its own merits, and each lens may have a different image circle at different focal lengths, and the degree of vignetting (if any) may vary with aperture. A single automatic crop for any lens designated DA or DA* would be inconvenient. Inability for users to override this per lens would be a massive blunder that might slow the take-up of an FF camera.

For example, from my own personal tests, the DA* 55mm f/1.4 and DA* 300mm f/4 are FF lenses. The DA 10-17mm vignettes at the wide end but is usable at the long end. And so on - I've tested all my Pentax lenses by putting them on a 35mm film camera and shooting rolls of film and having those scanned in.

There is a thread here which has built up evaluations of lots of Pentax lenses.

In addition, since a teleconverter enlarges the image circle, that too must be taken into account. A 1.4 teleconverter on a crop-lens might make it nearly FF.
10-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #988
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,884
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Not sure it was designed to be larger just for the sake of it. It had to be because of the huge mirrors. I never saw a Mamiya RF, so I don't know how large that was. Clearly, it had to use a larger film, so it couldn't be 35mm size. I have an old folding bellows camera in my collection that's a lot smaller than a Nikon D4, for instance.
Mamiya RF...if memory serves me....used 120/220 film. Was medium format.

I have a Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR....medium format with 3 lenses An 80mm F 2.8 'normal'....55 mm Wide Angle and 180mm Super Telephoto. Bought it new in '84.

Used my hand held Sekonic Light meter....a great camera.
10-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #989
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,187
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
DA and DA* lenses do not have a consistent image circle corresponding to an APS-C sensor. Each lens must be taken on its own merits, and each lens may have a different image circle at different focal lengths, and the degree of vignetting (if any) may vary with aperture. A single automatic crop for any lens designated DA or DA* would be inconvenient. Inability for users to override this per lens would be a massive blunder that might slow the take-up of an FF camera.

For example, from my own personal tests, the DA* 55mm f/1.4 and DA* 300mm f/4 are FF lenses. The DA 10-17mm vignettes at the wide end but is usable at the long end. And so on - I've tested all my Pentax lenses by putting them on a 35mm film camera and shooting rolls of film and having those scanned in.

There is a thread here which has built up evaluations of lots of Pentax lenses.

In addition, since a teleconverter enlarges the image circle, that too must be taken into account. A 1.4 teleconverter on a crop-lens might make it nearly FF.
I thought Nikon autmomatically crops DX lens when on a FX body. IF that is the case it was not a blunder on their part. As doubt I will get a FF Pentax I have no dog in this fight but do think it would be best to have a menu override, perhaps even being able to select which lenses. My DA35 and Da70 are used routinly on my film cameras. IF I was to get a FF DSLR I would wish them to work FF when I wished them to. But totally understand why it would not be the default setting. Should be like the ability to use aperature rings by a change in the menu
10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #990
Senior Member
CypherOz's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 246
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Crop mode.
Like DA lenses on a Pentax FF
So what use is that ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, check, christmas, discussion, future, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plans, releases
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Woe's with new Camera Stevizzy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Photokina 2012: Leica presents its new S medium format camera jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-21-2012 01:45 AM
Machinery Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride Sailor Post Your Photos! 29 02-04-2012 11:29 AM
Misc A New Christmas Camera . . . . . Sailor Post Your Photos! 18 01-01-2011 06:52 AM
Pentax's Third new camera..... New Distribution Channel interested_observer Pentax News and Rumors 50 09-30-2010 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top