Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #976
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Speaking of those lenses still on the roadmap, anyone heard anything about that 100-400?
It certainly isn't a 100-400mm on the roadmap!

Judging by how the line with faded ends from early Q roadmaps became the 06 Telephoto Zoom, the best to assume is that it won't extend beyond the faded end of the line. And that stops short of 100mm and 400mm.

At the very most, 120-380mm. And possibly significantly less.

10-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #977

Speaking of those lenses still on the roadmap, anyone heard anything about that 100-400?
Nothing about it !
For the 16-85 (or 18-70 or something like that) we should have an announcement this end of year, for what I know
10-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #978
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I agree with you and Vylen - it would be a huge mistake to not have a crop mode. For one thing, it helps the person ease the financial pain of getting into FF by not having to buy all the FF lenses up front. Secondly, if one needs to reduce weight for walk arounds or for hiking, being able to use some crop lenses can save on weight and bag size. Sure, not everyone wants to be able to use crop mode, but why not put the option in there for those that do want that capability.
I would love for Pentax to have a variable automatic crop mode specifically made for each DA lens. The DA 40 and 70 both are pretty close to full frame compatible, but with pretty dark corners wide open and certainly you wouldn't want an APS-C crop on those, although truthfully I would probably just crop after the fact.
10-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #979

QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG ‘fr Quote
Nothing about it !
For the 16-85 (or 18-70 or something like that) we should have an announcement this end of year, for what I know
How trustable is your source about this 16-85 launch ?

10-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #980
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would love for Pentax to have a variable automatic crop mode specifically made for each DA lens.
+1! But even that should be able to turn off. For instance, I think the DA35 Macro Ltd. could benefit from maybe a 1.2x crop at infinity (turning it into an almost "perfect normal" - yay ), but in the macro range it doesn't need a crop at all. Also, the DA70 gets soft in the corners, so a 1.2x crop could be useful (and turn it into 85mm equivalent ), but on the other hand, for portrait shots the corners may not be important anyway...
10-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #981

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
From day one, Canon's MF will be most likely be able to use all EOS lenses and all accessories, making a transition from FF to MF seamless for all enthusiasts
Did you leave off the /sarcasm tag? EF lenses will vignette on a MF sensor and are all useless. They will need a new set of glass, and a new mount due to registration distance, i.e. the optimal distance for a MF is not the same
10-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #982
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
Did you leave off the /sarcasm tag? EF lenses will vignette on a MF sensor and are all useless.
Crop mode.
Like DA lenses on a Pentax FF
10-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #983
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Crop mode.
Like DA lenses on a Pentax FF
And this supposes that the Canon MF mount will have the same registration distance as the EF mount, or less.

Are there really people who think that Canon or Nikon will enter the medium format market? I mean, seriously? What would they gain with that considering that the MF market is very small, even smaller than the 24x36 FF market?

10-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Are there really people who think that Canon or Nikon will enter the medium format market? I mean, seriously? What would they gain with that considering that the MF market is very small, even smaller than the 24x36 FF market?
I agree. Pentax stood from a different situation because Pentax made MF in the film days; Canikon will have to start from scratch, R&D and all. They may have the resources needed, but are they big enough to sustain? It will take time before they can eat away at existing Leaf/PhaseOne/Hasselblad markets... if they can.
10-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #985
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
It certainly isn't a 100-400mm on the roadmap!

Judging by how the line with faded ends from early Q roadmaps became the 06 Telephoto Zoom, the best to assume is that it won't extend beyond the faded end of the line. And that stops short of 100mm and 400mm.

At the very most, 120-380mm. And possibly significantly less.
If you zoom in it does look like it extends from 100-400...

10-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #986
Site Supporter

In the film days, we had Bronica and Contax in the MF market, not to mention Rollei. I presume it was large enough to sustain them all back then. But, judging by what happened to them, maybe it's nowhere near a large enough market now.
10-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #987
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
And this supposes that the Canon MF mount will have the same registration distance as the EF mount, or less.

There is no way that a Canon MF camera has as short or shorter registration distance as the EOS mount. Seems as though nearly all of the medium format cameras I know of have longer registration distances than that.
10-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #988
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There is no way that a Canon MF camera has as short or shorter registration distance as the EOS mount. Seems as though nearly all of the medium format cameras I know of have longer registration distances than that.
The registration distances of most MF cameras are quite long because of the need to accommodate the large mirror. IIRC, the Mamiya rangefinder MF camera had a comparatively short registration. So mirrorless MF could be quite compact in that respect.
10-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #989
Veteran Member

If you zoom in it does look like it extends from 100-400...
I was going by the Q roadmap and its prediction of the 06 lens. When delivered, the 06 didn't extend to the limits of the faded line on a zoomed version of the earlier roadmap, but instead stopped within the faded area.

I caution against undue optimism. (But, of course, no discussion here will change whatever it is probably already committed to be).
10-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #990
Veteran Member

Call me pessimist but regarding medium format going mirrorless, perhaps for cost, that's possible. But to make the camera more compact... is weird. It's just like the Sony NEX in a bigger scale; like mounting a beer can on a matchbox. Medium format was designed to be ...well, a tad larger than average.