Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #991
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
A and DA* lenses do not have a consistent image circle corresponding to an APS-C sensor. Each lens must be taken on its own merits, and each lens may have a different image circle at different focal lengths, and the degree of vignetting (if any) may vary with aperture. A single automatic crop for any lens designated DA or DA* would be inconvenient. Inability for users to override this per lens would be a massive blunder that might slow the take-up of an FF camera.
All true. And ideally the camera would know what the 'right' crop is for each lens and do so automagically, (in green mode anyway). But I don't believe any other camera maker does that, please correct me if I'm wrong, so I think it will most likely be a 'safe' crop that makes sure all DA lenses will work as expected. I think the option to NOT crop would be great, I'm not so sure Ricoh will take the risk of getting bad press/comments on a camera that takes vignetted pictures. Not everyone has the experience to know what is going on, and those who don't are often the most vocal.

But we are speculating on possible features or non-features of a purely speculative camera..............

10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
All true. And ideally the camera would know what the 'right' crop is for each lens and do so automagically, (in green mode anyway). But I don't believe any other camera maker does that, please correct me if I'm wrong, so I think it will most likely be a 'safe' crop that makes sure all DA lenses will work as expected. I think the option to NOT crop would be great, I'm not so sure Ricoh will take the risk of getting bad press/comments on a camera that takes vignetted pictures. Not everyone has the experience to know what is going on, and those who don't are often the most vocal.

But we are speculating on possible features or non-features of a purely speculative camera..............
{Edit: I think I was wrong 10:55pm] Actually I think they can and do crop specific chipped lenses just as they process specific Lens Corrections based on the lens identifier.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
10-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #993
Veteran Member

The same argument about risking bad press could be made about AF Fine Adjustments. They are an example where incautious use will results in consistently bad images. But they are provided.
10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually I think they can and do crop specific chipped lenses just as they process specific Lens Corrections based on the lens identifier.
I did not know that. So different pictures would be cropped to different sizes depending on the lens used?
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The same argument about risking bad press could be made about AF Fine Adjustments. They are an example where incautious use will results in consistently bad images. But they are provided.
Also true. Although in this case you actually have to DO something to mess things up, not just put a DA lens on a FF camera.
I guess we will find out what Ricoh thinks about this if/when they ever build a camera that requires us to worry about it...........

10-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #995
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not know that. So different pictures would be cropped to different sizes depending on the lens used?
I was curious so I read around a bit. Actually I think I was wrong. When in Auto crop mode a Nikon FX camera will recognize a DX lens and use only the center portion of the sensor. It would make sense for a camera where the algo has programmed lens corrections in place to use as much of the sensor as possible (eliminating vignetting) but I don't think they do that.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.
10-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #996
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I thought Nikon autmomatically crops DX lens when on a FX body.
This is true. However, automatic crop can be turned off on the D800, and a 1.2 crop mode is available too, along with a 5:4 aspect ratio.
10-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #997
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
This is true. However, automatic crop can be turned off on the D800, and a 1.2 crop mode is available too, along with a 5:4 aspect ratio.
/me likes the 5:4 ratio. Feeling home as with my 4x5 cam

10-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #998
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
Well. If one had dinner with the Pentax Rep tonight and looked at the new toys this coming holiday season. One would be be "full" of quick expectations if you are a Pentax DSLR user. One would not let go of K ff lenses very quickly. Read between the lines. Of course One may have been "spot on" with the timeline of the 645D , but what was is is ?
Look's like 2014 will be a full year from now, even though it was "Fully" seen with a K-3 proto late summer. Damm they have it but won't produce it. From what I understand there was more of a need for processing speed @ a half frame per second more. Probably the K-3 II df. If anyone wants to sell their F series lenses I'm still buying big time. Just not the 35-80mm LOL.

Last edited by pento57mm; 10-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.