Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
We've been expecting new flagship cameras and not getting any for ages. No wonder many of us cheat with other brands.
How long was it between the release of the pro grade LX and the minor upgrade it had during it's 20 years in production?

Kjell

07-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
How long was it between the release of the pro grade LX and the minor upgrade it had during it's 20 years in production?

Kjell
Should we care about that? Different era / different tech. Pentax competitors are releasing real upgrades to the market in the now.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-31-2013 at 01:32 AM.
07-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should we care about that? Different era / different tech. Pentax competitors are releasing real upgrades to the market in the now.
I suppose it's fair to consider that the latest Canicons, with the exception of the Canon EOS 70D, are not exactly ground-breaking either. Sure, the Nikon D800 and D800E are fantastic cameras but for a lot of money. It would be good to see some in-depth reviews of the EOS 70D, but until we see that, it's hard to speculate. Even a camera like the Nikon D7100, while very good, does not offer substantially better pictures than the K-5 II, in my view.

Lets hope that Ricoh is actually hard at work on a new Pentax product to set the standard. The current trend to offer 2943 (Yes, I know it's really 120 - but I couldn't care less) colours leaves me cold. Dare I say full frame in this post? LOL. I do hope we'll see a FF Pentax, certainly a more Prosumer Pentax!
07-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The MZ-5 and SF-1 AF and the P3/P30 MF film bodies had minor evolutionary upgrades with the n suffix appended. I don't think it really meant anything (perhaps to suggest 'new').
Ah. In that case, no, you didn't fix it for me.

07-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ah. In that case, no, you didn't fix it for me.
Whatever. It's an old Forum joke. I didn't mean anything personal. You're suipposed to laugh and say, "Yeah. Right."
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
The kind staff-member (who stated they have been in the industry for 25 years, but only involved with Pentax for 6 weeks) then explained that Ricoh / Pentax had recently visited to give a briefing on their future plans (including the said releases later this year), and that the briefing was extremely positive / exciting. To paraphrase: "Ricoh are investing a great deal in Pentax, and they are going about it the right way. The plans for the future are exciting".

I check this site to see if there is any concrete news about more releases this year, and to date haven't seen anything particularly convincing, so I just thought this tidbit (albeit lacking in specifics) might be appreciated for other like-minded folk who are eagerly awaiting some news. Please don't label me a rumor-monger or another Ricehigh, I just thought this bit of info (however small) would be appreciated.
My own deadline is this thanks giving. If no FF from PENTAX, I will get Nikon D600 or Canon 6D, with their typical thanks giving deal. Plus going with Sigma lenses (seems like a frugal way of going FF, now that Sigma have step up their game considerably, i.e. 24-70 f2 FF lens next year!). This combination appear to be affordable than keep buying top PENTAX cameras...
07-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #67
Banned

Btw, something ELSE has changed today too — many more FA lenses are now listed as officially available.

08-01-2013, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I suppose it's fair to consider that the latest Canicons, with the exception of the Canon EOS 70D, are not exactly ground-breaking either. Sure, the Nikon D800 and D800E are fantastic cameras but for a lot of money. It would be good to see some in-depth reviews of the EOS 70D, but until we see that, it's hard to speculate. Even a camera like the Nikon D7100, while very good, does not offer substantially better pictures than the K-5 II, in my view.!
I shot yesterday with Nikon D7100 for several hours. No WoW effect and after editing a few images it was an easy call for me. I stick with my K-5 and K-01. And also after using the d800 for weeks I was really happy to get my 645D back.
08-01-2013, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
I shot yesterday with Nikon D7100 for several hours. No WoW effect and after editing a few images it was an easy call for me. I stick with my K-5 and K-01. And also after using the d800 for weeks I was really happy to get my 645D back.
I certainly didn't much like the D7100 either when I picked one up and prefer my K-5. But I don't have a 645D either so I like my two D800E a lot thank you very much. I am looking forward to seeing what the 645D MKII brings to the table but I doubt I could afford to change up..

Last edited by bossa; 08-01-2013 at 03:43 AM.
08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Nikon D7000 Sept. 2010 Nikon D7100 Feb 2013

Canon 7D Nov 2009 No replacement yet

Pentax K-5 Dec 2010 No replacement yet

Where are all the ground breaking new models for the competitors
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Don't forget:
Nikon D300 Aug 2007 No replacement yet
Canon 600D Feb 2011 No replacement yet
And I'm sure we can find more example, depending on the definition of "replacement"
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Yes Canon and Nikon brought to market a new F/F camera but the are just stripped down versions of there already in existence F/F cameras not new and ground breaking models neither have upgraded their flagship crop sensor cameras so I guess until Pentax produces a F/F camera you will think they are failing I just do not see it.
08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #73

Yes, the K-7/5 body design is pretty perfect. Spartan, almost no "design", functionality and ergonomics first. I can't really see any possibility for improvements.
Agreed 。Masculine ,It‘s really amazing for pentaxians,killing all rivals。
08-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #74

Haven't read all the posts, but it seems to me that Pentax will not bother with a K30. Probaby go strait for the K7xx and upgrade the 645D.
allow me to elaborate

After the K50 and K500 which are technically better than the K30 but under the K5, K5II, K5IIs, If Pentax-Rocoh does come out with a K3 where will it sit compared to the fore mentioned cams? You have to make it less than the K5xx but still better than the K30.. well either that or their naming strategy is completely daft.
The current line of SLRs really paint a very interesting palate of options and the market is very well covered from that point of view.
Now a new remade K7 like for example an K7II and a K70. basically the same body as the K5xx, perhaps with a few tweaks to get the three main image functions on roller buttons? and à 36 Mp sensor, better AF than the K5xx would fill the market space with a very attractive cam. don't stop at 24 Mp, that has been done, break the competition!
especially with the current K mount line up of glass.

What about the 40Mp 645D, I hear you say, well that one has been around since 2010, the layout is great, the camera is a fabulous piece of hardware. The competition is sort of catching up. and slotting in a 80 Mp sensor would be feasible, keeping the rest, perhaps a better in camera data transfer to be able to handle the size of the files? If you look at the size of current RAM chips, it's ridiculous the amount of disk space per volume.

So the line up for Pentax would go from 12 to 16,3 to 36, to 40 to 80 Mp. from 245 to 7K €/$.
08-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #75
Pentaxian

A K-3 can only be higher level than the K-5 II. The naming strategy is "lower number = better camera".