Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #76

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A K-3 can only be higher level than the K-5 II. The naming strategy is "lower number = better camera".
So the K50 is a downgrade from the K30?

08-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #77
Pentaxian

No, it's a successor. Actually "lower number = better camera" seems to apply to single digit models, after that it could morph into "less digits = better camera". Even so, it should not be regarded as a hard rule.
There's nothing in their naming scheme (and I'm including their film SLR family) which would suggest that a K-3 would be a lower model than a K-500; on the contrary. K-1 > K-3 > K-5.
08-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I'm curious to see what will superseed K-01 Maybe K-00
08-06-2013, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #79
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Maybe K-00
Nop, K+01

08-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Hi all,

I spoke with a Pentax retailer this afternoon to check on expected delivery of the FA 77 I just ordered (excited about that too...but that's another discussion), and thought I would be cheeky and ask if a Pentax Full Frame was in the works. The summary of our ensuing discussion is as follows:

- More new cameras are going to be released later this year (by Christmas);
- The exact nature of those cameras couldn't be discussed in any detail; but
- When I mentioned that I currently use a K20D & K10D, need an upgrade of both, and am considering the K5ii as my next purchase/s, the advice was "wait until later this year. It could be Christmas before they're here, but I would wait".

The kind staff-member (who stated they have been in the industry for 25 years, but only involved with Pentax for 6 weeks) then explained that Ricoh / Pentax had recently visited to give a briefing on their future plans (including the said releases later this year), and that the briefing was extremely positive / exciting. To paraphrase: "Ricoh are investing a great deal in Pentax, and they are going about it the right way. The plans for the future are exciting".

I check this site to see if there is any concrete news about more releases this year, and to date haven't seen anything particularly convincing, so I just thought this tidbit (albeit lacking in specifics) might be appreciated for other like-minded folk who are eagerly awaiting some news. Please don't label me a rumor-monger or another Ricehigh, I just thought this bit of info (however small) would be appreciated.
Love your article. I too , am waiting to upgrade my K-20D, but still waiting for something more fantastic, so far nothing really beyond what I have now , for the money,
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #81
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lolenslooker Quote
Love your article. I too , am waiting to upgrade my K-20D, but still waiting for something more fantastic, so far nothing really beyond what I have now , for the money,
Cheers!

To be honest, I do think the K5ii has some significant improvements over K20D (much better autofocus, much better high iso performance, better low light performance, much higher frame rate), but if a major upgrade is in the works, be it full-frame, professional APS-C, or both, I'm happy to wait a little longer.
08-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #82
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very reliable source of information re Pentax said: look for September 5th press conference organised by Ricoh Imaging.
That's Thursday, FYI..

08-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
A very reliable source of information re Pentax said: look for September 5th press conference organised by Ricoh Imaging.
That's Thursday, FYI..
Where is this press conference located ? Japan ? Usa ? I have not seen mention of this conference somewhere else ?
08-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Let's hope any announcement includes announcements about lenses. What's more important camera bodies or lenses - to me it is lenses. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-or-camera.htm

What would be nice to see - the decade overdue 1.4 TC; the ROADMAP zoom to about 350 that works with the 1.4 TC; a re-engineered and repriced 560 or better yet a 500 FF compatible that works with the 1.4 TC;
08-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #85
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That's Thursday, FYI..
Cheers, thanks for the info mate.
08-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Where is this press conference located ? Japan ? Usa ? I have not seen mention of this conference somewhere else ?
Because it's "secret".

If you want to know the location, you maybe should check out if there's coincidentally a large tech exhibiton starting the day after.
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Ricoh is present at the IFA in Berlin (held in september)
08-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Indeed, from 6 to 11 september.
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Ricoh and (PENTAX (C.R. Kennedy) are present at the The Digital Show in Melbourne Sept. 13-15 this year. I believe they have separate stands.

Greetings
08-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #90
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Ricoh and (PENTAX (C.R. Kennedy) are present at the The Digital Show in Melbourne Sept. 13-15 this year. I believe they have separate stands.

Greetings
Ricoh may have their printers, etc. But looking forward to it, and trying out new K-3 or whatever it's gonna be named ..