Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #121
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, I really enjoy taking pictures -- of stuff, of my kids, of whatever and my cameras and glass still work OK and so I can wait. It really isn't about tech, particularly since I feel like tech has plateaued with minimal improvements visible from the D7000 to the D7100.
I have an opinion that Nikon in particular — and not the industry or technology — has plateaued their ideas, and are running out of imagination.
If given a proper chance (as stated above) I believe engineers working on Pentax products can innovate a lot, in that same DSLR field now over-saturated with minimal efforts and lack of ideas.

08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I have an opinion that Nikon in particular — and not the industry or technology — has plateaued their ideas, and are running out of imagination.
If given a proper chance (as stated above) I believe engineers working on Pentax products can innovate a lot, in that same DSLR field now over-saturated with minimal efforts and lack of ideas.
I disagree regarding the Nikon lacking imagination assumption. I think the 1 series can be a great platform if it were priced correctly.
08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Pentax comes out with anything that the K5 owners will actually jump for I'll be happy since I am looking for a sub $500 nice used K5 to replace my K20D and its almost made it that low, and a flood of replaced K5's would definitely do that. I despise AF and so an original K5 would be the logical choice since nothing of substance has really improved after it otherwise.

In the unlikely event the FF comes out I will happily drop the All Pitiful Shrunken Crap size sensors and do whatever it takes to get the FF at any cost, my 35mm lenses are ready and waiting.
08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The reason being?
Not that you need to justify your decision, but since you told us about it... Is it a permanent decision, or you're talking about the near future?
No, not necessarily a permanent decision. But I pretty much have everything I need for quite a while. I have no interest in full frame unless Pentax builds a body for under $1000 - and nobody does that (but I'll be happy for FF fans if such a camera is unveiled). In terms of lenses, I have what I need. There theoretically could be a few additions, but they're lenses that cost well over $1000 and I'm just not going to chase that market any longer. This is a position I am taking based on both principal and economic need. Currently, the only current Ricoh-Pentax products I could see myself eventually buying (other than what I already own) are the new larger-sensored Q and the Ricoh GR. But I'll wait until prices drop. When my K-5, K-30 or K-01 need replacement, I'll decide at that time whether to buy another APS-C body on close-out or sell off my Pentax gear.

Look, I've been a big supporter of Ricoh's purchase of Pentax since the beginning and have urged patience on the part of my fellow Pentaxians when it comes to new product development. I still think Ricoh will do the right thing with Pentax and continue to remind my colleagues that these things take time to do correctly. But, personally, I've grown weary of even talking about it. Don't get me wrong - Pentaxians need to talk about something until the good stuff comes along. So, have at it and enjoy. Myself, I'll use and enjoy the gear that I have and bide my time waiting for the real fruits of the Ricoh-Pentax combination. But I'm not going to stretch my budget to get any of it. Either I can afford it (even if I must wait for model close-outs) or I'll get out.

08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #125

I'm on hold right now when it comes to Pentax, waiting for something worth upgrading from my K5 for. I have been a loyal Pentax user since 1969 and would love to continue on with them, but something very positive has to happen for me to justify any more money invested in the Brand.
08-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I disagree regarding the Nikon lacking imagination assumption. I think the 1 series can be a great platform if it were priced correctly.
Talking about novel...

I saw a Samsung Galaxy camera this weekend at my local Best Buy. Now that is imaginative in my mind. Samsung knows the trend in digital photography is leaning more and more toward small mobile network connected cameras. It started when cell phone makers began putting digital camera units into their devices. Samsung went the other way - they are starting to put cell phones into their digital cameras! Laugh at it all you want now but I think in 5 to 10 years we'll see a whole new breed of cameras and phones in the market.

Granted, I didn't take this camera on a field trip so I can't say how well everything works from the interface to the optics but the idea is novel.

Personally, I don't want Pentax to be "first", "novel", "big", or "unique". I just want them to be "great" and produce an "excellent" line up of cameras from DSLRs to dinky P&S with the "right" features. In my mind they are an optics/camera company that uses whatever electronics suits their plans. They are not an electronics company fishing for optics.
08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #127
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Talking about novel...

I saw a Samsung Galaxy camera this weekend at my local Best Buy. Now that is imaginative in my mind. Samsung knows the trend in digital photography is leaning more and more toward small mobile network connected cameras. It started when cell phone makers began putting digital camera units into their devices. Samsung went the other way - they are starting to put cell phones into their digital cameras! Laugh at it all you want now but I think in 5 to 10 years we'll see a whole new breed of cameras and phones in the market.
What I hate about Samsung's implementation is that they have blatantly, without any extra thought and without any refinement, put an entire phone now shaped as camera, through user's noses. There is no subtlety in it at all.
Future cameras may as well be very well connected with the world, however, that can be done in a subtler, more discrete way — why cameras must be bred as phone-looking-mutants just to do simple connection and share?
Because Samsung can't do a thing on their own; they must see someone else solving the problem, an they will instantly add rounded corners to it, and copy.

08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #128
Veteran Member

It may not be subtle but you know what they are aiming at: Android power users who are early adopters of new technology. Even if their specific model doesn't take the world by storm like the iPad did then I at least salute them for major effort!

We are a very insular community that makes photographs. The majority of the world takes snapshots. Something like the Galaxy camera will take them one step away from snapshots where they are still comfortable using the device but it won't be as big of a stretch as using a DSLR.
08-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #129
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
We are a very insular community that makes photographs. The majority of the world takes snapshots. Something like the Galaxy camera will take them one step away from snapshots where they are still comfortable using the device but it won't be as big of a stretch as using a DSLR.
If you say so ... But I understand your point, thank you.
08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Speaking about subtility, SAMSUNG has all the Know-how to produce great lenses and innovative photography devices, which they are doing now (NX 300, EX2F, NX glaxy, galaxy s4 zoom) with some leadership.
And which is not the case of a well known of it's competitors...
08-19-2013, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #131
Banned

However, who cares about Samsung! This is Pentax Forums, and there's a worrying lack of any info about upcoming product releases.
Not even a sniff. The silence is deafening.
Where are those famous Pentax leeks?

08-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #132

The k50 came out of nowhere. Maybe the shakeups with ricoh have stopped the usual hookups of chinese camera website whispers?
08-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #133
Pentaxian

What I hate about Samsung's implementation is that they have blatantly, without any extra thought and without any refinement, put an entire phone now shaped as camera, through user's noses. There is no subtlety in it at all.
Future cameras may as well be very well connected with the world, however, that can be done in a subtler, more discrete way — why cameras must be bred as phone-looking-mutants just to do simple connection and share?
Because Samsung can't do a thing on their own; they must see someone else solving the problem, an they will instantly add rounded corners to it, and copy.
Precisely; that's not a camera, but a crippled (because they disabled telephony) smartphone with a mount/lens glued to it. A camera which needs a quad core processor and 2GB RAM just for a lag-free OS, and a 4360mA battery so it would last more than a day idling.
Adoption of inadequate and crippled technologies because they're made popular, if that's "progress" and "innovation", I don't need it.
08-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...I dislike this camera from Samsung too, but they did hit the nail on its head for their targeted user group. They didn't force it through their noses, they did what their users asked from them.

Pentax has a different kind of users though. If Pentax wants to make their cameras play nicer with other gadgets or with social media, all they need to do is have their cameras fitted with a wifi option, that lets the other gadgets pickup the files. Probably paired with a nice app, that can even do some basic PP/corrections. That way, it lets the camera remain the camera, and lets it focus only on what it's best at.
08-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
...I dislike this camera from Samsung too, but they did hit the nail on its head for their targeted user group.
Which is not photographers, but facebookers, instagramers, angrybirders...