Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It wouldn't change a thing, just irritate folks. All of the CMOS sensors out now are capable of producing video, so it is just a software issue (which Pentax already has).
It would probably result in lots of fun for firmware hackers, though

08-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #212
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Even Leica is proud to offer video and LV on new M-mount cameras.
Which is somewhat natural, because it was the first camera that used film off the film rolls (for movie industry) yet in a camera designed to record static images. So they've made a full circle.
08-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Or not have buttons that get bumped every now and then.
I'm a pure still photography person. But I don't see any advantage in removing video from the K-5.

On the K-5 the video mode is on the side of the mode dial that I never pass (I only move between Av and M and sometimes to B or USER), so it really doesn't bother me at all. On earlier cameras I sometimes bumped the mode dial into the wrong position but the lock button on the K-5 prevents that. The Lv-button may be another thing, but I cannot see that as a video mode as Live View frequently comes in really handy for some shots. Don't use it often (once every 100 shots or so), but it's good to have when needed.

Wim
08-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Snobbery plain and simple. For some reason, many seem to think having video makes a camera less "serious", which is funny, considering that A) today's Pentax is not positioned as a true "pro" brand but more as an enthusiast brand and B) Many (most?) pros are happy to use 5dII/III or D800E, where high video quality is a key marketing point. As others here have said, removing video would be pure idiocy from a business standpoint.
That is a rather harsh way to view it. A poster just mentioned that he thought that it would make the camera cheaper lighter and less expensive. He was wrong in that assumption, however lighter and cheaper are both good things and far from making him a snob.

08-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #215

SNOB, interesting take on my post!

It doesn't seem to me to simply a software issue, since the video controls need to be added to the DSLR to access the video feature.
FWIW, my K5 overheats the sensor after 15 min of shooting video, which makes it fairly useless for what I use a video camera for. For me, that makes the video option less than worthwhile and seems to be simply there so Pentax can claim a video option like other cameras.

I still feel leaving the video off and just having a DSLR that takes great photographs would be a far better option.
08-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #216
Pentaxian

The K-5 has exactly one video control: a dedicated position on the mode wheel.
08-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
[...] there is no Photokina this year? [...]
But there is IFA :

The Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (IFA) is one of the world's largest consumer electronics trade fairs.
The next IFA will be held in Berlin from 6 September to 11 September in 2013.
RICOH will be present in Hall 2.2/110.
  • Ricoh HZ15
  • HD Pentax DA limiteds (15, 21, 35, 40 ,70) (s/b)
  • Pentax AF360/540 FGZ II
  • Pentax ?-?

08-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #218
Pentaxian

It says Ricoh, not Ricoh Imaging... maybe we'll see some non-photography products? Printers, copiers...
08-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It says Ricoh, not Ricoh Imaging... maybe we'll see some non-photography products? Printers, copiers...
Well since it is a consumer electronics show, wouldn't surprise me to see Ricoh's entire consumer electronics new fall releases there. How big were the booths under Hoya's reign anyway? They didn't seem very big to me.
08-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #220
Pentaxian

No idea, but now they have a space similar with Panasonic (and I doubt Panasonic would have a tiny stand).

L.E. This isn't true; the actual space seems to be about 1/5 of Nikon's and a little bit smaller than Sigma's (they are neighbors), thus much smaller than Panasonic's. Well, it's not like Ricoh Imaging needs so much exhibition space, and we'd rather have them put those money in R&D, right? Anyway, I hope they'll have a nice stand.
My apologies for the misinformation.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-29-2013 at 03:25 AM.
08-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Well, it says:
QuoteQuote:
Ricoh also produces award-winning digital cameras
It seems that Canon has its own tent at IFA every second year (as a complement to Photokina, organized by trias: Events )

This was e.g. Olympus, Nikon, Casio, etc. in 2007: IFA 2007 - Olympus, Nikon, Casio - NETZWELT

This was IFA 2011 (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Polaroid, Epson, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, ...): News zum Thema Fotografie
At the bottom of the page the announcements of the HZ 15 and the new Pentax flashes are indicated as "IFA" 2013 news.

Hoya (cokin, Tokina, Kenko, SLIK, tamrac, ...) is represented by HapaTeam (distributor; hall 7.2c, 101-13).
08-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #222
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I will never understand this obsession with removing video from SLRs. The option to take video doesn't make it any worse at taking pictures, and I personally like having the option available to me. I'm already carrying around a heavy SLR, why would I want to carry either a small video camera with a crappy lens/sensor or a large heavy video camera with a good lens/sensor, in addition to the perfectly functional camera I already have with me?

If y'all don't like it just don't move the dial to the picture of the little movie camera.
Not an obsession, just feel that a K5 for example could be made a lot better and have more features for picture taking if the video part was left out. I for one have never been able to take quality video with the K5, but with my Canon vixia which is very light can quickly capture good quality video. Extra item I know but less fiddly and more reliable than the K5.

Tim
08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #223
Pentaxian

I feel that the weather could always be perfect, if my K-5IIs didn't had a movie mode.
08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Hah, you may be surprised.

13th – 15th of September, the largest photo show in the southern hemisphere is organised in Melbourne. Latest cameras and photographic tidbits in Pentax and Ricoh brands will be presented as well. Judging by their enthusiasm, CR Kennedy guys are readying a big splash.
Exhibitor Brands | The Digital Show

I expect to lay down hands on the mythical new K-3, and maybe even new 645D — well before many of Pentax users elsewhere have a chance (apart form those who visit IFA show in Berlin, starting September 5th). Anyway, if anything's presented at IFA, I presume will be available for a preview in Melbourne as well.

I'll keep you posted.
Thats great news. I just hope the 645D isn't multi thousands of dollars which I guess it will be. Need to come out with a pro model or semi pro which is heads above current K-50 , maybe 26-30 mega pixels, for half the price of the 645D. One can only dream!
08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #225
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lolenslooker Quote
Thats great news. I just hope the 645D isn't multi thousands of dollars which I guess it will be. Need to come out with a pro model or semi pro which is heads above current K-50 , maybe 26-30 mega pixels, for half the price of the 645D. One can only dream!
I don't know why, but I'm very excited about the 645D update. I hope the current 645D will stay, reduced in price, and be available too.
I suspect we can see something really interesting there; plus three new 645 lenses.