Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax has been financially hamstrung for at least 5 years. Ricoh will get there - perhaps not soon enough to suit many current customers - but there is a lot of work to do yet rebuilding the brand before they allocate the resources to FF. It really is a simple business fact. It just isn't the time yet, much as you, I and probably they wish it was.
Amen

09-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #437

Has Pentax ever had a digital 'pro' line? They've always seemed to have competitive, if not overly better value, segment bodies compared to the others. But they've never had a 1 series camera or a D# competitor. It's that technology thats getting leveraged to make the d800's/5d's that we feel we need. And don't forget how massive the prices on the upper level cameras are. People paying that are paying for the development of them, and it seeps down lower to that level. Then they continue to cut cost on and on down the line until the bottom cameras are crap. Pentax don't make crap cameras. I'm not sure theres a proper step above the exmor 16mp in aps-c yet. They're not going to make a sidegrade, or worse (like the bottom two 24's of nikon). And Canons sensors stamp every single image you take with non-cutting edge performance. If Pentax released an FF with the image quality of those they'd be absolutely decimated by us.

And up in this area of high res sensors, lenses have a bigger role then ever. I still think Pentax has the best glass line up in terms of build and price out there. Go use an m50 1.7. Plenty of them out there in still great condition. Find anything comparable to the FA ltd's for the money. You might be able to match them in some areas, but not overall. It seems all people care about is numbers. It's gotta be fast, at this focal length, with this mtf50 whatever. Sharp images aren't difficult anymore. But may be if more instead of better pixels are used in cameras.
09-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
And up in this area of high res sensors, lenses have a bigger role then ever. I still think Pentax has the best glass line up in terms of build and price out there. Go use an m50 1.7. Plenty of them out there in still great condition. Find anything comparable to the FA ltd's for the money. You might be able to match them in some areas, but not overall. It seems all people care about is numbers. It's gotta be fast, at this focal length, with this mtf50 whatever. Sharp images aren't difficult anymore. But may be if more instead of better pixels are used in cameras.
That Canon and Nikon make totally crap entry level bodies is not true imo. Pentax is usually better value, and the Canikon is crippled in some ways, but Pentax isn't free of this either. Remember lack of focus points in K-x? I do agree that pentax always tries not to cripple the user when it's not necessary though, The hardware provided almost always seem to be utilized to its full potential, unlike with Nikon (that I know firsthand anyway).

Limited line is pentax's jewel and for the most part have no equivalent in canikon, but the reverse is true as well. Does Pentax have Canon's 17mm TS? Nikon 14-24/2.8? Nikon 105/135mm DC? An affordable 85mm/1.8 with SDM?
09-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #439
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Has Pentax ever had a digital 'pro' line?
Certainly not but ... The closest 'pro' Pentax ever had were 67 and 645 lines medium format film cameras as well as LX/MX system.

More recently 645D is to be seen as a Pro line indeed, in the traditional Pentax way, not in the Canikon way.

09-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #440
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
From a cheap Canon to a 14-24 is odd.
Maybe not if I tell you that the Canon was mostly used with the Sigma 8-16 at the wide end?
09-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #441
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Maybe not if I tell you that the Canon was mostly used with the Sigma 8-16 at the wide end?
Strangely enough that lens is also available in K-mount
09-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shes probably a very bad photographer. At least I was back when my most used lens was the Pentax 18/3.5

09-08-2013, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #443
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Shes probably a very bad photographer. At least I was back when my most used lens was the Pentax 18/3.5
Not a nice comment. Many amateur photographers have their own niches of photography they like to explore. Don't laugh when you haven't even seen their pictures.
09-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a nice comment. Many amateur photographers have their own niches of photography they like to explore. Don't laugh when you haven't even seen their pictures.
I think he was laughing at himself, not so much making a comment on her.
09-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #445

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
That Canon and Nikon make totally crap entry level bodies is not true imo. Pentax is usually better value, and the Canikon is crippled in some ways, but Pentax isn't free of this either. Remember lack of focus points in K-x? I do agree that pentax always tries not to cripple the user when it's not necessary though, The hardware provided almost always seem to be utilized to its full potential, unlike with Nikon (that I know firsthand anyway).

Limited line is pentax's jewel and for the most part have no equivalent in canikon, but the reverse is true as well. Does Pentax have Canon's 17mm TS? Nikon 14-24/2.8? Nikon 105/135mm DC? An affordable 85mm/1.8 with SDM?
Yeah I remember the kx's lack of focus points, I loved mine! Taught me to use my eye to see what was in focus. Though made me stuff up a 'just press click' shot setup through a 5d mkII at a wedding. The AF chose a zone that made me put that on the subject instead of framing correctly. Yeah thats easy enough to fix if you know the camera though...

The lens stuff is true too, canikon does have some exotic stuff. But its also extremely expensive(and specialized ala t/s), and occasionally not that good (DC/Plastic primes). Good areas for third party imo! My $300 85 1.4 goes great. Most reliable focussing I've used
09-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #446

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Certainly not but ... The closest 'pro' Pentax ever had were 67 and 645 lines medium format film cameras as well as LX/MX system.

More recently 645D is to be seen as a Pro line indeed, in the traditional Pentax way, not in the Canikon way.
Ahh yeah, forgot about the 645D. Ironically Pentax went the other way, leveraging their aps-c tech and making a comfortable and affordable MF solution. That they have a brilliant history of. I'm looking for a nice 6x7 as my next camera!
09-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #447
Veteran Member

Yeah I remember the kx's lack of focus points, I loved mine! Taught me to use my eye to see what was in focus. Though made me stuff up a 'just press click' shot setup through a 5d mkII at a wedding. The AF chose a zone that made me put that on the subject instead of framing correctly. Yeah thats easy enough to fix if you know the camera though...

The lens stuff is true too, canikon does have some exotic stuff. But its also extremely expensive(and specialized ala t/s), and occasionally not that good (DC/Plastic primes). Good areas for third party imo! My $300 85 1.4 goes great. Most reliable focussing I've used
Just to note when I mention the Nikon 105/135 DC I meant defocus control (ie it can control bokeh, and not the vaseline effect), and they are AF to boot.. Pretty awesome stuff for certain uses, and its actually quite affordable. Like you said they do have some pretty underwhelming stuff build quality wise like the cheap Canon primes; Pentax isn't free of this either though (DA 50/1.8 and 35/2.4). I still dont get why the DA 35 doesnt open to f/2 other than to prevent cannibalization of DA 35/2.8, the lens looks almost exactly the same as FA 35.

In canonikon land third party seem to compete in more price and not in performance (there are exceptions though like some Sigma lenses, and Tamron that makes really lightweight no-frills equivalents)

To go back to the topicccccc I'm looking forward to the new body and hope that it's one step forward for Pentax to regain their mojo. I hope it will be a true D300 / 7D class body with AF to match.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-08-2013 at 05:50 AM.
09-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #448
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes, the topic. A new body would be great. Maybe it could even make a few people around here sleep easier... For me, though, I can't really think of anything that could make me replace my K-5. It's just too good for that.
09-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #449
Veteran Member

all I need in a new body is a better LCD screen, one on par with the EM5/D800 at minimum. I've grown to like tilty screens, as long as it doesn't add unnecessary bulk, but its not a major feature. But, a faster buffer/processor for me is top priority, compared to the cameras mentioned earlier the K5 is incredibly laggy to review photos or clear the buffer... I need this updated. FPS should be the same or faster. And MP count around 20-24 would be nice, just so I have more freedom to crop if needed.

and of course keep all the usual K5 feature set...

but one thing, one thing, I would love love love, but I'm not expecting, is a 1/250 max flash sync speed or higher.
09-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just give me a K-5 derivative with an updated sensor with better ISO and Dr handling (big ask I know) and I'll be a happy camper . I'm saying this as a Pentax K mount supporter and fan who is fairly seriously locked in with my lens selection which includes all of the FA Limiteds, the DA35 limited, as Zeiss 50 macro, a Voightlander 90mm APO and a couple of K's...
S!
Robbie