Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Exactly.... so go for the lenses I think I might. the question is... Q7, DA 15, DA 35, Go Pro Hero 3.... or Q7 & DA*60-250?
If you don't have the DA15 and DA35 (ltd?) you're missing something, I'd choose that. But maybe I would have said the same about the 60-250 if I had it...

09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If you don't have the DA15 and DA35 (ltd?) you're missing something, I'd choose that. But maybe I would have said the same about the 60-250 if I had it...
I don't shoot much further than 135mm or have a need too unless I'm going ultra tele, so the Bigma wants to join my collection there...but the 60-250 is a nicer lens. I'm doing more wide work with my other systems and wondered why I don't go wide or enjoy wide on my Pentax... well it's because I have no wide primes!!!

I'm gonna get a 15 and the Q7 for sure. I'll decide later on the 35...

09-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #468
Forum Member

The 15 Ltd is a beauty. I use it on the K-5 for group shots at weddings. Much sharper edge-to-edge and without the distortion of the DA* 16-50.
09-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #469
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by polachekphotography Quote
The 15 Ltd is a beauty. I use it on the K-5 for group shots at weddings. Much sharper edge-to-edge and without the distortion of the DA* 16-50.
DA15 and DA70 .. are simply magical.

09-11-2013, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You are never truly locked into a system, because you can sell lenses and move to a different system. But, there is a sense in which there will be a learning curve necessary to do so and some people don't truly need more than what Pentax currently offers and so they stick with what they have. That's not the same as being an "addict." My experience is that people who truly need something that Pentax doesn't offer (longer glass, full frame, fill in the blank) just move on to Nikon or Canon (without extended good bye posts) and put their gear up for sale on the marketplace or elsewhere. Obviously Robbiec is pretty happy with Pentax and with his current stable of glass, he just wants some small changes to the flagship body.
True. But I think it becomes more obvious if the word "system" is replaced by "set of compromises".

My Pentax equipment comprises a set of compromises of weight, size, speed (fps, AF), flexibility, resilience (WR etc), lens range, ease of use (IBIS), cost, etc. Any other brand would offer a different set of compromises, but still compromises.

There isn't one of the Pentax set of compromises which is totally incompatible with the sort of photography I want to do. So I don't currently need to switch brands, which would solve that particular problem but bring along other problems. But that doesn't mean such unacceptable compromises won't arise in future as my photography evolves. And there are various current compromises that I would prefer not to put up with.

For each current compromise I have at least a vague plan. Sometimes this involves "hope that Ricoh/Pentax do something about it!" That is a reason why I study roadmaps and (sad!) rumours and workarounds from other companies. This isn't addiction to a brand. It is a sort of personal roadmap (perhaps realistic, perhaps not) towards a smaller set of compromises.
09-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
True. But I think it becomes more obvious if the word "system" is replaced by "set of compromises".

My Pentax equipment comprises a set of compromises of weight, size, speed (fps, AF), flexibility, resilience (WR etc), lens range, ease of use (IBIS), cost, etc. Any other brand would offer a different set of compromises, but still compromises.

There isn't one of the Pentax set of compromises which is totally incompatible with the sort of photography I want to do. So I don't currently need to switch brands, which would solve that particular problem but bring along other problems. But that doesn't mean such unacceptable compromises won't arise in future as my photography evolves. And there are various current compromises that I would prefer not to put up with.

For each current compromise I have at least a vague plan. Sometimes this involves "hope that Ricoh/Pentax do something about it!" That is a reason why I study roadmaps and (sad!) rumours and workarounds from other companies. This isn't addiction to a brand. It is a sort of personal roadmap (perhaps realistic, perhaps not) towards a smaller set of compromises.
This sums up my situation better than anything I could have expressed. Actually, I sometimes do feel convinced that I picked the wrong system: Bird photography is my main interest, and slow / imprecise AF, lacking of tracking and shortage of affordable long tele lenses all tell me I should have picked another brand. On the other hand, I LOVE my DA* 300mm f4 for its solidity, sharpness and pretty bokeh - it's just too short. My current compromise is using a 1.7x TC and cropping more than I ought to. My immediate roadmap is upgrading the house until the AF kills fewer opportunities and cropping begins to hurt less (I think the optical limitations of my 300mm are less of an issue than the limitations of the k5 sensor at the moment).

I am aware of the option of switching. But being budget limited, it would take a while before I could replace my 300mm with a (longer) Canon/Nikon lens of the same quality. Budget limitations do lock you down a bit. On the plus side, I have weather resistance and in-house stabilisation which matter a lot in bird photography.

(And, as a side note, if anyone would like to sell me the FA* 250-600mm vintage lens at a price significantly lower than that of my car - send me a pm! :-D)
09-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
This sums up my situation better than anything I could have expressed. Actually, I sometimes do feel convinced that I picked the wrong system: Bird photography is my main interest, and slow / imprecise AF, lacking of tracking and shortage of affordable long tele lenses all tell me I should have picked another brand. On the other hand, I LOVE my DA* 300mm f4 for its solidity, sharpness and pretty bokeh - it's just too short. My current compromise is using a 1.7x TC and cropping more than I ought to. My immediate roadmap is upgrading the house until the AF kills fewer opportunities and cropping begins to hurt less (I think the optical limitations of my 300mm are less of an issue than the limitations of the k5 sensor at the moment).

I am aware of the option of switching. But being budget limited, it would take a while before I could replace my 300mm with a (longer) Canon/Nikon lens of the same quality. Budget limitations do lock you down a bit. On the plus side, I have weather resistance and in-house stabilisation which matter a lot in bird photography.

(And, as a side note, if anyone would like to sell me the FA* 250-600mm vintage lens at a price significantly lower than that of my car - send me a pm! :-D)
I really like the idea of "set of compromises". It really describes the situation much better than any of the metaphors we had so far

AFAIK the situation with longer glass in other mounts are the same, it's also about $$$ / mm. At the moment the best crop bodies with high FPS from both companies are already 4 years old (7D and D300), so you'd be wise to wait before switching. For AF you will gain considerably over the K-5 but not in anything else, long glass in canikon is still expensive anyway, but perhaps you'd do better with getting any particular lens you want in the used market as there are more floating around.

Perhaps Pentax will release a really good TC or an affordabe DA 400, and the chirstmas camera has great af

09-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #473
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Bird photography is something I started to take seriously just this year, and I am feeling the same problems that you describe. I bought the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX DG to help, but would rather have bought a lighter Pentax WR lens.

I too like the DA* 300mm f/4, and bought mine with the expectation that I would supplement it with the 1.4x Teleconverter on the roadmap. I wish ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I really like the idea of "set of compromises". It really describes the situation much better than any of the metaphors we had so far

AFAIK the situation with longer glass in other mounts are the same, it's also about $$$ / mm. At the moment the best crop bodies with high FPS from both companies are already 4 years old (7D and D300), so you'd be wise to wait before switching. For AF you will gain considerably over the K-5 but not in anything else, long glass in canikon is still expensive anyway, but perhaps you'd do better with getting any particular lens you want in the used market as there are more floating around.

Perhaps Pentax will release a really good TC or an affordabe DA 400, and the chirstmas camera has great af
For me, a really good 1.4x Teleconverter would make my 300mm f/4 into an affordable 420mm lens - because I already have the 300mm lens! And if Pentax launches a camera before Christmas that has "great AF", (fast, accurate, several points near the middle), and isn't worse than the K-5IIs in any respect, I will buy it.

But more fps, (for example, switchable between 5 fps and 10 fps), and more pixels, (because I sometimes crop up to half the pixels and still want to print at A3+ or larger and would like more headroom), would make that a super camera.
09-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #474
Pentaxian

If I spent $6-10K for a lens I could get what I wanted. But for $2.5k I get a weather proof body and lens, 300mm. I would like focus to be a bit better, it is a bit short, but otherwise IQ is great and the limits of what I can get are my skill.

A friend has the very nice Nikkor 300 2.8 with an extender. On his D7000 focus was ok, lots of missed shots. His new D7100 has the capability to match the lens, but he is frustrated by the buffer size. He could go bigger, a D800 or D600, but those are large and heavy bodies, and considerably more expensive. I'll compare the apc-s Pentax that I hope we will see this fall to his stuff, and I suspect that I won't be disappointed.

Wildlife is about getting close and being there. Equipment helps, but only if you are there and close.
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #475
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took shots of bears with my k5 and sigma 150-500 and I have no complaints at all. Decent iq and quite affordable too!
09-13-2013, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #476
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I took shots of bears with my k5 and sigma 150-500 and I have no complaints at all. (...)
You mean you sent them the pictures and the bears were happy with them?
09-13-2013, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #477
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You mean you sent them the pictures and the bears were happy with them?
Yes, in fact one of the bears was happy that I got her children in one of the pictures!
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #478

Sorry Ricoh/Pentax Couldn't Wait

Obviously we are talking about Christmas future...sorry couldn't wait and pulled the trigger on a Canon...just kidding...now a proud owner of K-5II.
09-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #479
Pentaxian

It's a good camera, and it won't get any worse once a new model will be announced. Have fun with it, and many good pictures.
09-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #480
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
cpobuttons
...sorry couldn't wait and pulled the trigger on a Canon...just kidding...now a proud owner of K-5II.

I am very curious about Pentax plans for FF.
But my IIs is still surprising me pleasantly. I will not sell it.