Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #526

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Any idea of when the next camera show is? Been waiting ages for a full frame or upgrade to the K-5 and about to get a Canon 6D for night photography if nothing happens soon....I still love the K-5 for landscapes but really need something with better high ISO performance for night photography...I think the highest ISO for acceptable noise in the K-5 is around 1600, the 6D at around 6400 and maybe even up to 12800?

And am I right in saying most cameras will be announced in September or October at the latest? I don't think they always need to announce them at shows right?
This is what I want to know. I've been following this thread for some time hoping to catch a glimpse of whats coming.

I'd been a Nikon person, but the last few years had been using point and shoot cameras since going digital, and my last "real" camera was a film SLR. I was going to upgrade to a DSLR and was most likely going to go Canon or Nikon but was given a Pentax *ist D. Yes its old as dirt but still takes some pretty darn good pictures (when I pay attention to what I'm doing). I've bought several Pentax lenses now so looks like I'll stay with Pentax...Yes I know I could sell off what I have and switch back but.... it would cost me more to do that and I'm happy with the performance of the 10 year old camera I have. I'm cool becoming a Pentaxian.

My wish list is simple. I'm a hobbyist not a pro so the only thing I really want for my upgrade is an articulating screen on the back because I'm old and out of shape and can't get down on the ground for low level "creative" shots. Well... thats not totally true.... I can get down on the ground I just can't get back up again. I was going to go ahead and get a K30, but if theres a chance of an articulating screen coming up soon.... I'd rather wait.

09-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #527
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
.. I've been following this thread for some time hoping to catch a glimpse of whats coming. ...
/
/

One thing I know could be exciting news for some around here is the new 18-X0/2.8 lens that is coming.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-14-2013 at 09:13 PM.
09-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
/
One thing I know could be exciting news for some around here is the new 18-X0/2.8 lens that is coming.
Would be much more excited if there was a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 on the map.
09-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still showing two different road maps on Japan version Vs English

Std disclaimer at bottom of chart should read -

* Road map may vary in response to if we really give a rats about the information situation today ......

09-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #530
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It starts at 18mm ? OK half the forum will say P... OK I'll shut up

Good news IMO, it'd better not be 50mm on the tele side. Let's say 70mm. right?
09-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It starts at 18mm ? OK half the forum will say P... OK I'll shut up

Good news IMO, it'd better not be 50mm on the tele side. Let's say 70mm. right?
What about 15-77 start at the widest Ltd lens and end at the longest Ltd....

09-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #532
Banned

70mm it is.
18-70/2.8, but don't spread it around .. yet.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.
09-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #533
Pentaxian

70mm it is.
18-70/2.8, but don't spread it around .. yet.
Yessss
09-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #534
Banned

Closest equivalent is Canon 24-105/f4, I think.
However, I believe Ricoh has widened the lower end to 27mm, rather than going all the way down to 24mm, to avoid problems Canon's lens has with distortions, vignetting, etc. I think it will be rather a chunk of a lens too — and most likely above $1K.
But let's wait and see.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-14-2013 at 11:21 PM.
09-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #535
Pentaxian

Closest equivalent is Canon 24-105/f4, I think.
However, I believe Ricoh has widened the lower end to 27mm, rather than going all the way down to 24mm, to avoid problems Canon's lens has with distortions, vignetting, etc. I think it will be rather a chunk of a lens too — and most likely above $1K.
But let's wait and see.
Above 1K for sure and they'll all whine because it is expensive

Excellent news IMO
09-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #536
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SideRaptor Quote
I don't know about the camera shows, but I've used the K-5II at ISO 6400 and even higher when it's become necessary, and never really had a problem with the noise. (granted, there definitely is some, but I wouldn't call it "unacceptable")
I partially agree. It depends on your output

I often use my K5 in theaters and at 6400 ISO.
I do noise reduction with Lightroom / Nik and I also tried Capture One.
The result is OK, but when I print them at A2 format and I compare them to the result of some other camera's (of some colleagues, same conditions, same development) the K5 isn't good enough.
I am also waiting (too long) for a new Pentax camera, and now the new theater season is starting again, I'll have to decide and go for a new Pentax??? or 6D or D600.
I still hope Pentax soon comes with a new camera (it's OK if it's APS-C) with higher resolution, better high ISO performance, wi-fi and ...................tethering (please, please).
09-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #537

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'll wait until end of the year and see if something comes up because I need the high ISO performance for astrophotography and aurora early next year...Otherwise I'll get a 6D and K-5 as my second camera. For normal shooting and especially hiking, I prefer the K-5 due to the size and weight, and most importantly, the dynamic range
09-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
when I print them at A2 format
Printing ISO 6400 images, shot in a dark theatre, at A2 format .... hmmm. You standards are very high. Perhaps unreasonably so for almost any modern digital camera. A2 is huge.
09-15-2013, 03:27 AM   #539
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 is good at high iso but it is not a full frame. Want to shoot at iso 6400 in theaters? Get a D4
09-15-2013, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's observe it: if I were Ricoh, and my good reputation, long terms plans I have and excitement I see in making things others haven't dreamt about are the stakes, then what is presented as the next Pentax product cannot be a flop.It mustn't be a flop. Not a semi-finished product that catches up in 2 years, or three. It must be so good the day it's announced it will sell itself without any sales effort.

If it's an FF, the first day after the announcement will mark the 1,000,000 preorders worldwide, and will be the top ranking camera in sales in a decade — that kind of product I'd be interesting in making.
I'm sure that would make everyone happy - but you do understand that is precisely the old Pentax, Right?

Get nothing right for years - nothing! - than toss up a glorious Hail Mary Pass product that will SAVE THE COMPANY, that really is sublime, something sweet and new, something for all the reviewers to write about. PENTAX IS BACK!! Then fail to execute. A living corporate example of Fear of Success.

If Ricoh really is different it will be different. Very Very good new product, iteratively and constantly improved, constant small marketing, something new every month, in the news every week, solid, dependable, no surprises, no disappointments, good service, good warranties, for now a little more consumer-oriented than we would like, for now no pretense about semi-professional stuff in K-mount (see 645).

In short, an alternative to CaNikon, not another CaNikon.