Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #556

Well.... its not much.... but its something. Although not much as pretty much been the norm up to this point anyway and still no rumors of an articulating screen.... which is the only thing I personally care about.

09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #557
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Well.... its not much.... but its something. Although not much as pretty much been the norm up to this point anyway and still no rumors of an articulating screen.... which is the only thing I personally care about.
Hate to disappoint but that was not seen, again read very carefully between the lines.
09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #558

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
Hate to disappoint but that was not seen
Oh bother.... Well.... guess I'll just have to keep laying on the ground for low level shots and making a fool of myself trying to get back up again... or keep taking faith pictures... aim the camera where I think I want since I can't see through the viewfinder/screen and have faith that I'll get something I can at least salvage in post... at least for a while... Since I don't care about FF at my level of expertise.
09-15-2013, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #559
Forum Member

Well. If one had dinner with the Pentax Rep tonight and looked at the new toys this coming holiday season. One would be be "full" of quick expectations if you are a Pentax DSLR user. One would not let go of K ff lenses very quickly. Read between the lines. Of course One may have been "spot on" with the timeline of the 645D , but what was is is ?
As a new to Pentax shooter I've purchased quite a number of old FF primes and zooms in anticipation so I'm really hoping that, by sometime in 2014, I'll have more than just a box full of sweet FAs.

09-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well. If one had dinner with the Pentax Rep tonight and looked at the new toys this coming holiday season. One would be be "full" of quick expectations if you are a Pentax DSLR user. One would not let go of K ff lenses very quickly. Read between the lines. Of course One may have been "spot on" with the timeline of the 645D , but what was is is ?
what a riddle...I'm stuck on the "spot on" part, though the "full" speak is pretty clear. The last sentence is just trippy... "but what was is is ?"

Thanks for the speculation. I just had the majority of my photography gear stolen, so I'm deciding how long I want to wait to make a new kit...and if I even want to stick with Ricoh...if they're "full" of possibilities, I'll probably hold out.
09-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In the case of Olympus, what was pointed out is the education of studio photographers and showing them new options. In a studio, a photographer wastes very little energy, keeps all under control, everything is monitored, nothing unpredictable, etc. so for that kind of environment, even a modern m4/3 camera will do the work well and one needs no more than that.
Yes, m4/3 companies are very good at making products which are the best... in specific laboratory conditions
09-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #562
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, m4/3 companies are very good at making products which are the best... in specific laboratory conditions
That's true for every product. Some are more versatile than others, that's it and Pentax is IMO in a sweet spot on this.
But Canikon have limitations too, so does µ43 and so does APS/Pentax too.

09-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #563
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
OK. You pay.
I already gave you free advice
09-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #564
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe this puts me at odds with the crowd, but anyway...

The 16 MP sensor is a better sensor than I am photographer.

If "I" was the target of an upgraded camera, it would have, in priority order

1. Dual card slots
2. Remote operation of flash guns (not need to buy pocket wizards or similar)
3. Weather resistant flashes (check)
4. Add to the current DA* line - bits and pieces shooter could get by with every second model and still have a wee bit of overlap (mostly) while die hards might want the lot, a range something like 16-50 (f2.8); 24-80 (f?); 50-150 (f2.8); 60-250 (f4); 120-300 (f4) (I'd see me having second, third and fifth of those myself eventually
5. Spare battery as default with camera
6. Minor ergonomic improvements - swap the mic jack for the left strap attachment point so the strap isn't leaning on the mode dial
7. Minor presentation appeal - the rubber bungs aren't classy
09-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #565
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In all fairness to Olympus and m4/3 users, Pentax users are the last ones that should be pointing towards limitations of any other group or a system. It just sounds .. ridiculous, coming from our own camp that lives in fantasy land of big expectations.
09-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #566
Pentaxian

In all fairness to Olympus and m4/3 users, Pentax users are the last ones that should be pointing towards limitations of any other group or a system. It just sounds .. ridiculous, coming from our own camp that lives in fantasy land of big expectations.
Yeah sure " You're a Pentax user? Shut up! first sell your gear and then criticize." I will close my world for any other brand than Pentax in order not to live through the agony of not being able to express my opinion. Or I will not take your advice and just go on saying the m43 sensor is too small.
09-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of key points Olympus wanted to show in the show in Melbourne, was how well the E-M1 goes against the FF camera. Photographers were invited to test both cameras on the spot, using professional studio lighting and professional models, and print results on an A2 and even larger. There was no way to judge which one was which.
I'll say again, it was pity that people representing Ricoh didn't do the same to demonstrate K5II and DA HD Ltds.
We've seen these demonstrations a lot. You could even do it with a Q7, but it never seems to really change the purchasers perception of the fact that Canon/Nikon are better. Because the issue isn't really sensor size. That is a red herring. The issue is placement and advertisement and in both of these areas in the United State (don't know about Australia), both Pentax and Olympus are in bad shape.
09-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #568
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah sure " You're a Pentax user? Shut up! first sell your gear and then criticize." I will close my world for any other brand than Pentax in order not to live through the agony of not being able to express my opinion. Or I will not take your advice and just go on saying the m43 sensor is too small.
No, I meant that instead of criticising, we could just leave them alone and maybe learn from the good points they do better.
But that a Pentaxian should point to someone's 'fault' and laugh at it, is rather a sign of own serious identity crisis.
09-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #569
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
We've seen these demonstrations a lot. You could even do it with a Q7, but it never seems to really change the purchasers perception of the fact that Canon/Nikon are better. ..
'Better' is a relative term. Correct way to put it would be 'only more mature'. However with maturity, we also lose lots of fun. And that is one reason people are looking for players other than Nikon and Canon to bring in something fresh. For a few years people were looking at Pentax, for example, but nothing happened there. But if tradiional camera manufacturers can't, Apple will.

So don't underestimate people's desire to give the new a rightful chance to prove itself. Especially if the new has enough prospects to become even better and, overall, even more fun to use.

iPhone has changed our idea of what is simple yet highly effective photographer's tool, and almost silently Apple has become the most influential camera maker in the world. Not Nikon nor Canon, but Apple defined how our future 'serious cameras' must look like and how they should be designed. Why was that possible? Becuas Apple was seriously and uncompromisingly innovating.

Similarly, Olympus may as well change our idea what a good and fun to use traditional looking yet very capable camera may be in the modern age.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-16-2013 at 04:30 AM.
09-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's true for every product. Some are more versatile than others, that's it and Pentax is IMO in a sweet spot on this.
But Canikon have limitations too, so does µ43 and so does APS/Pentax too.
Of course that every system has advantages (even µ4/3, probably ) and limitations. That was a reference to some of their marketing, mostly related to AF.

In the case presented by Uluru, I think Olympus had a great idea, though if I were Pentax I would put the best 645D image I could get, as a wall-sized print, next to their stand. Just because.