Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
I fully agree.
I always have the grip on my K5 just because it lacks height.
The best sized of all cameras I ever used was the Olympus E3 (which, by the way, also had the best viewfinder)
I can use it without the grip if I'm toting around a manual prime (though the 55mm ƒ1.2 is pushing it a bit) but anything heavier, my pinky finger starts to ache pretty quickly. I've actually carried it with the group on and no battery in the grip on a few occasions, to keep the weight down.

09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #662
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
In my opinion the last 20 Mpix SONY sensor would do an overall better job than the "old" 24 Mpix...
I trust Pentax to go for IQ over my opinion, it's one of the reason people like them, when they get something good, they go with it (in the next 6 camera bodies).. We don't want no light bleeding cross pixelating sensors.
09-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #663
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax first needs a 24-70 and a 70-200 before they can go FF. They will probably have to shop at Tamron for that. Maybe some old FA designs can be revived like the FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200 They won't need many cheap zooms for FF because it will be high end, with aps-c covering the lower end.
I think kit zoom that's not f/2.8 for FF is still necessary. Nikon actually didnt have one until D600 come up. They bundled it with a "cheapo" kitlens ($400).

I just went and get a used Tammy 2875.
09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
For me nothing comes close to the feeling of K10/K20 with DA 40

D600 is ergonomically a great pair with decent sized zoom lens like Tamron 28-75 or 70-300. I agree that smaller lenses dont seem very ergonomic on it. The weight distribution feels all wrong. maybe the way it's built is just necessary for an FF pentaprism and all that electronic gizmos? I know that ME super is half the size of DSLRS these days so it cant be just the prism. Ergonomically I like the D7000 more than the d600, but it's not full frame.
it wasn't the weight distribution for me, it was the fact that my hand wouldn't fit on the grip. It would on the K5 just fine, but the D600 gave me hand cramps. I still hand the pinky dangle on the D600 and the K5, but for some reason the K5 was just way more comfortable. Once I added the grip all was fine.

The D800 doesn't give me that issue. I may get the grip for it anyways though.

09-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax first needs a 24-70 and a 70-200 before they can go FF. They will probably have to shop at Tamron for that. Maybe some old FA designs can be revived like the FA* 28-70 and FA*80-200 They won't need many cheap zooms for FF because it will be high end, with aps-c covering the lower end.

I think they want to be different. I suspect small and compact. Hence no (or very few) fast and large zooms...but I could be wrong...
09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think they want to be different. I suspect small and compact. Hence no (or very few) fast and large zooms...but I could be wrong...
I'm fairly certan Ricoh / Pentax want to be the better-for-some / best alternative to CaNikony not another CaNikony. The question will be whether enough buyers want an alternative, and if so whether Ricoh gets the correct set of pluses and minuses..
09-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #667
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just want the body to put my ol' Takumars on anyway so I only care because I want Pentax to last another 40 odd years.

09-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #668
Pentaxian

APS-C zoom lenses do not differ much between brands (except that Pentax got some high end APS-C tele zooms) so zoom lenses probably won't differ much on FF either.
But when Pentax start selling FF cameras, most new high end glass will probably be FF like on other brands.

The question is mostly if they start with low end or high end FF zoom lenses. But usually it's the high end products that comes first.
09-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #669
Veteran Member

I just want the body to put my ol' Takumars on anyway so I only care because I want Pentax to last another 40 odd years.
I'm kinda surprised the Chinese haven't made a digital m42. It would be a pretty simple thing to construct. At anyrate, I'll probably pick up an A3000, when the used market gets flooded with them in about a year, and a "lens turbo" just for m42 glass on the cheap. Unless of course Pentax brings out something similar.
09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'm kinda surprised the Chinese haven't made a digital m42. It would be a pretty simple thing to construct. At anyrate, I'll probably pick up an A3000, when the used market gets flooded with them in about a year, and a "lens turbo" just for m42 glass on the cheap. Unless of course Pentax brings out something similar.
I havent seen a knockoff DSLR from china for that matter. Perhaps some of the tech is patented very strictly? I think M42 is a unversal mount though, so like you said it should be possible, and there's a relatively big market for it.

Maybe when FF sensors get cheaper.
09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With M42 there'd be no autofocus or "modern" features available, unless someone added their own proprietary stuff.
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #672
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
My source is not THAT affirmative : announcement of something new in the DSLR line before the end of 2013 for sure...
This year they are late.
One official promo action on the Pentax Japan website ends Oct 15th, and I got the hint that late October / early November may be the timeline Ricoh was planing all along. The photo show in Paris may be the place to see the new cameras for the first time. New York show is 24th-26th October, and Ricoh isn't even there — so there we go, we have some indirect clues about approximately when and approximately where ...
09-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #673
Veteran Member

On the other forum, there was a post about the Pentax camera factory in the Philippines recently celebrating the manufacture of the 20 millionth Pentax camera. Why isn't this news anywhere on this forum?

Also in the same post there was intriguing mention of a new camera coming soon:

QuoteQuote:
-It has 20 mega pixels with the IQ of the 645D, did not mention sensor size but was told it was more on the programming to get that IQ
-Dual card slots
-There is a Ricoh badge at the back?
09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/222525-new-s...x-cameras.html

Someone on another forum hinted at this a while back but didn't give me any real info, I did post it though hoping to get some kind of confirmation, but if someone else was in the know back then they didn't spill any beans. This could still just be a rumour, not very substantive. I hope it is not however.
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #675
Veteran Member

The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.