Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #676
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Dual card slots right now to me is the most exciting part of that rumor. You can't count the megapixels in a picture that doesn't exist because your primary card stopped working or you forgot it in your computer's card reader! Having separate cards for RAW and jpg is nice, too.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I've been somewhat puzzled as to why people feel they need dual card slots. From the above, I am able to deduce the following:

1. In case one card is bad
2. In case card is forgotten at home, or wherever
3. Keeping RAWs and JPGs separate

To me, the only one that makes reasonable sense is #1. As to #2, if you can forget one card, you can forget both. Also, surely you have some spare cards with you, no? And as to #3, when copying from card to computer, having the two formats on separate cards saves literally seconds, no more (type *.jpg or *.dng in the Explorer SEARCH box, then SELECT ALL, COPY).

So, is #1 the main reason most people want dual slots, or am I missing something?

09-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #677
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I've been somewhat puzzled as to why people feel they need dual card slots. From the above, I am able to deduce the following:

To me, the only one that makes reasonable sense is #1. As to #2, if you can forget one card, you can forget both. Also, surely you have some spare cards with you, no? And as to #3, when copying from card to computer, having the two formats on separate cards saves literally seconds, no more (type *.jpg or *.dng in the Explorer SEARCH box, then SELECT ALL, COPY).

So, is #1 the main reason most people want dual slots, or am I missing something?
Dual card slots could also be used to speed up fps, or postbone a filled up buffer, by writing to two cards at the same time. ...If the camera manufacturer is smart enough to implement that as an option. I think that's the very best reason for multiple card slots.
09-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it's a choice between 2 cards or wi-fi it should be wi-fi.
09-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #679
Veteran Member

Two cards can also double the in-camera storage capacity. Not sure when this would be needed as it's easy to change cards. Perhaps in inclement weather or dusty environments when one doesn't want to open the card door. There are probably other circumstances, too.

09-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #680
Pentaxian

3. is also a valid reason, for example if in the JPG slot you have an eye-fi card (upload medium resolution in-camera JPEGs while still having full-information RAWs for later processing). If there's no integrated Wi-Fi, of course.
09-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #681
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Dual card slots could also be used to speed up fps, or postbone a filled up buffer, by writing to two cards at the same time. ...If the camera manufacturer is smart enough to implement that as an option. I think that's the very best reason for multiple card slots.
OK, makes sense. I can see the usefulness of this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If it's a choice between 2 cards or wi-fi it should be wi-fi.
Meh. I'll take more accurate AF and/or better flash system over either of these

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Two cards can also double the in-camera storage capacity. Not sure when this would be needed as it's easy to change cards. Perhaps in inclement weather or dusty environments when one doesn't want to open the card door. There are probably other circumstances, too.
With SD card sizes being what they are these days, is this really an issue?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
3. is also a valid reason, for example if in the JPG slot you have an eye-fi card (upload medium resolution in-camera JPEGs while still having full-information RAWs for later processing). If there's no integrated Wi-Fi, of course.
I guess I can see this too. It's just that none of the above reasons strike me as being compelling compared to some other features that could be improved. To each his/her own, I suppose.
09-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #682
Veteran Member

With SD card sizes being what they are these days, is this really an issue?
Yes, to some people who like to keep the capacity of their SD cards lower in case of failure. Then they do not lose so many pictures.

09-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #683
Veteran Member

It's just that none of the above reasons strike me as being compelling compared to some other features that could be improved.
It's not an either/or situation. You can have two cards and other features as well. I fail to see how having two slots is detrimental. As far as I'm concerned, two card slots are better than one - after all, you can use only the one if you're so inclined. Also, the second card can be used to back up photos for security, especially in situations like weddings when a card failure would be a disaster.
09-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #684
Veteran Member

Maybe the extra storage capacity is nice if you use movie mode a lot? I can see it having advantages for some people, but personally I would ALWAYS prefer features that enhance the IQ of the pictures. With Pentaxians' luck, only the dual cardslot part of the rumor will be true: K-5II/d, in d stands for dual.

EDIT: The above was a bit sarcastic, but if the new Pentax camera to be released finally features the highly demanded video requirements, like manual controls, AF during video, etc, then you can expect the video function to be used more often by more people... And then it will require lots of storage space.

Last edited by Clavius; 09-19-2013 at 04:57 AM.
09-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #685
bxf
Veteran Member

Yes, to some people who like to keep the capacity of their SD cards lower in case of failure. Then they do not lose so many pictures.
True enough. I'm one of these people.

It's not an either/or situation. You can have two cards and other features as well. I fail to see how having two slots is detrimental. As far as I'm concerned, two card slots are better than one - after all, you can use only the one if you're so inclined. Also, the second card can be used to back up photos for security, especially in situations like weddings when a card failure would be a disaster.
Agree with all of the above. I was merely puzzled by how strongly some appear to feel about this particular feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe the extra storage capacity is nice if you use movie mode a lot? I can see it having advantages for some people, but personally I would ALWAYS prefer features that enhance the IQ of the pictures. With Pentaxians' luck, only the dual cardslot part of the rumor will be true: K-5II/d, in d stands for dual.
Extra storage for video is a good point.
09-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #686
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photographer shooting my daughter's wedding used the second slot in precisely this manner. Images were recorded on one card while the second card was an automatic backup of the first.
09-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #687
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The photographer shooting my daughter's wedding used the second slot in precisely this manner. Images were recorded on one card while the second card was an automatic backup of the first.
Many of the latest DSLRs from Nikon like the D7100 and 600D have two SDXC slots instead of CF slots to save space but still have up to 256GB capacity like the 600x Lexar and with UHS-II SD cards coming next month with up to 312MB/s speed they will be faster than CF cards.
09-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #688
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dual slots is a great thing for a professional shooter. My wife is paranoid during a wedding that a card will go bad, switching cards, backing up frequently, etc. Having the second card for casual shooters may be like wearing a belt with suspenders, but when you are shooting a "once in a life time event," it can be a life saver.
09-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.
Thanks for the info Dave, it'll be interesting to see how they improve upon the K-5 line; my guess is an autofocus overhaul.
09-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #690
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Pentax Rep was at the local camera store was was excited about the new dslr camera that should be announce in the first two weeks of October. It is suppose to be a very high-end cropped sensor camera.
If this is true then we should be seeing some more solid rumors solidify pretty soon.