Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
This would allow for the creation of something rather like Leica's S2, ideally at a price that would tempt FF shooters to upgrade.
Except that the S2 is much more expensive, and worse handling

09-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #752
Pentaxian

So you think the K-3 (ASP-C) is the only camera coming this year or are we going to be surprised with the K-1 (FF) also?
09-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #753
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No full frame yet but a K-3 (20 or 24mp) and K-5 III en IIIs (with the old 16mp sensor but improved AF and a new image processor)
09-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #754
Pentaxian

Hmm. If that is the case, I would have thought the K5III would be in the $1300 range with something more expensive and higher end. Interesting.

09-23-2013, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #755
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Hmm. If that is the case, I would have thought the K5III would be in the $1300 range with something more expensive and higher end. Interesting.
I think that there is gap between $750 and $1300, and is barely addressed. A camera that sits at comfortable $900 is needed, and yes, it may have a 20MP sensor. I really hope Ricoh will expand the K-mount offer (I hope they want more lenses sold?), because two basically same bodies priced low, and just one priced high, aren't anything new — in fact, it's the continuation of the old Pentax paradigm.

And I expect Ricoh to add some new thinking to the game, even if it takes a slightly different form factor to spice up the K-mount offer. People need a reason to buy into better lenses, and K-3 cannot be a sole reason.
09-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well i sated this already before since the EC Waterfly was in februari 2012:

So I went two weeks to the European Championship Waterfly in Eindhoven. Taken pictures 14 days, every day following 2 to 4 games. A hard learning school and I did enjoy it.

I used K-5, K-5 Silver, FA*85mm, DA40mm, DA21mm, DA15mm, DA*300mm and Sigma 70-200mm (OS version). I have three new SanDisk PRO cards 45mb/s and one older 32 GB classe 10 and 16 GB classe 6 card. Took a laptop to use in the mediacentre. Used a monopod and a Metz flash.

I took thousends of pictures during that time. There are some real fantastic pictures with it. Learnd a lot from some of the pro-shooters there (1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D, D300s, D3, D3s and loads of pro-lenses up to 400mm/f2.8). There where a few with transmitters to send their images to their laptops standing next to the pool. I spend time waiting for my camera to be ready with processing and storing files while next to me someone is standing reviewing the same pictures and selecting and deleting. Time I could not spend on my pictures. I'm talking about 8 hours or so during those two weeks. The K-5 is a slow camera in that way.

So what do I want?

•I want better image quality then K-5 offers at hi iso-settings to meet magazine printing quality. So I guess I want APS-H or Full Frame. For newspaper it is fine as K-5 is, but the future is demanding more.
•I want faster processing in the camera and up to UHS-I speed of writing to cards to stop loosing so much time on waiting for my camera to be ready.
•I want a smarter and faster AF system. I want lenses that are faster in focussing to work with that new AF-system.
•I want a second cardslot in my camera. To make RAW and jpg.
•I want to have a sort of transmitting of images to my laptop. I want to have an option to mark good pictures so I can find them back faster then now.
•I want a DA*400mm/f4 or a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 with a DA*1.4x TC.
•I would like to have the option to change to 12-bit RAW. Especially with hi iso (iso 1600 and up) to have smaller files that process faster.
•I would like an integrated grip. The K-5 body is perfect otherwise. So just attache the vertical grip to it and make it one fast camera full of options.
•A new and better flashsystem would be great.
•In sportsphotography a shutter garanteed to use for 100k times isn't so great. So making a new one better to use for at least 200.000 actuations would be great.

From an other ways satisfight user.

It still apply's for the next generation.
I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.

I know people think that a lens like that would be too heavy - and it might be for some, but it is necessary for a real pro level set up. 70-200 2.8 lenses are a Canikon standard for wedding shooters. I use my 60-250 every wedding, but I am totally open - and sometimes that is a push!

I really do believe that Ricoh hears us with our desires for an upgrade and I appreciate that they are taking the time to do it right. I just think it could be a bad move to release a FF camera without your own lenses to support it. If they released FF by Christmas (this year), then many would find themselves buying 3rd party to have zooms to use with it - and from a business standpoint, that just doesn't make much sense. I have to be optimistic that part of why they aren't releasing the camera yet is because they are deciding what lenses to also release with it and they are busy getting the manufacturing in place.
09-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #757
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm waiting for a 135-400 WR to go with the next body. Heck, I want that for use with my current one!

09-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #758
TZH

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I agree with you on all of these points. Oh, the integrated grip. I now am the proud owner of two grips and I just can't shoot with the K5 or the IIs without it. I love, love, love the idea of a 135-270 2.8 - such a great range for a wedding.

I know people think that a lens like that would be too heavy - and it might be for some, but it is necessary for a real pro level set up. 70-200 2.8 lenses are a Canikon standard for wedding shooters. I use my 60-250 every wedding, but I am totally open - and sometimes that is a push!

I really do believe that Ricoh hears us with our desires for an upgrade and I appreciate that they are taking the time to do it right. I just think it could be a bad move to release a FF camera without your own lenses to support it. If they released FF by Christmas (this year), then many would find themselves buying 3rd party to have zooms to use with it - and from a business standpoint, that just doesn't make much sense. I have to be optimistic that part of why they aren't releasing the camera yet is because they are deciding what lenses to also release with it and they are busy getting the manufacturing in place.
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....
09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #759
Pentaxian

The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The advantage of a non-integrated grip is that you can sell the camera both to people liking it bigger or smaller. The former would have to buy an additional grip, though.
Pentax grips are well integrated, I'm not seeing any real disadvantage other than the price.
I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote
Great idea, since Sigma 120-300 2.8 don't bring out PK mount....
But I thought they did do the 70-200 in PK...what is certain is that at the current time the only FF zoom offerings are the products of 3rd party vendors.
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #762
Veteran Member

I can see your point about making the camera bigger or smaller, but if we are talking about a real pro model here, the grip should be integrated. Everyone who is going that kind of professional level shooting wants a grip. Plus, while it is not difficult, it is inconvenient to have to remove the grip to change batteries.
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
D300 and D700 is used by lots and lots of professional (so does 7D and in many fields, 5D). They dont have integrated grips.
Neither does the D800/800E
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #764
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The difference between a grip used currently with K-5 and integrated in the camera is huge. Our current grip is for holding a second battery or a tray off AA's and a second set off buttons. An integrated grip would make room for electronics that add to the performance off the camera.

I stated it earlier, a K-5 body with integrated grip would still make for a very small camera compaired to 1Dx, but would be the size off the D800, just made differently. Making the form and ergonomics off the camera leading to the design while offering the same space for electronics inside as inside the D800.
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Cameras by Christmas - thread started July 26th. HMMMMM. Is it possible the conflicting spec. rumors comes because there are two cameras? Even two APSc cameras and a thrid of some larger kind next spring?